How Do You Fill Your Closets?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Carissa A Jones • Mar 19, 2015.

1. Carissa A Jones

Carissa A JonesNew Member

Threads:
    Spring and Summer are on their way, and with 4 kids, I have a much needed shopping trip coming up.

When we just had the two girls, we would just shop whenever we went to the store or mall.

It was so simple back then too because little babies and toddler outfits come on one hanger -- shirt and shorts/pants, and done!

Now that I have 4 kids, and three of the 4 of them, being older, have their own individual style, I shop Per season! Sure I get the underwear and socks as needed! And I can't pass up a cute shirt or outfit for my kids, but their main wardrobe now comes each season, per layaway.

We get em all in the van and make a day of it. We pick a few different stores, and put on a few different layaway's and* BAM*! Another season of cute, stylish, yet affordable clothes for the kids!

Do you shop all at once, or a little at a time? Maybe you don't have kids, and just want a new season style for yourself? Are you an impulse shopper, or do you plan it out depending on the season? How do you fill your closets?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to purchase all new clothes this year I have no clothes. To start I will go to a few second hand stores to get something to wear for now. A few weeks after that I plan to take myself to an all day shopping spree. New everything, shoes, coat, tops and bottoms. I haven't done this in some time, looking forward to it. I have already started looking at styles on Pinterest to get some ideas.

3. mstaffney

mstaffneyNew Member

Threads:
    I purchase clothes out of necessity and sometimes I budget for what I want. There have been times when I shopped for a particular item and ended up purchasing something else in addition to the particular item. I wouldn't call myself an impulse shopper but if I can purchase something extra without going over budget I'm all over it, uh oh does this make me an impulse shopper (smile). My closet is filled with a lot of clothes that are needed, rarely will you see something in my closet that I haven't worn in over a year or two.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I fill my closets with a mixture of pieces from the thrift store and a mixture of clothes from the department store. Some of my thrift store find have lasted me years and years longer than the department store finds. Just look for quality pieces and when it comes to kids clothing, they don't care where it came from! They grow so fast too and if you go on sale days at the thrift store you can make out with a lot of clothes.

5. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I just end up buying pieces whenever I see them on sale or see something I like at either a yard sale or thrift shop. Sometimes I end up with lots of shirts and no pants. I try to be more systematic in my shopping but it's hard for me to find certain things sometimes and if I see something that's a good buy that I know I will use at some point, most likely I end up buying it because if I pass it up, someone else will grab it.

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just buy things as and when I find them. The majority of my clothes come from thrift stores so ther's a massive element of chance involved. I can't afford to purchase a lot of things at once and don't have much spare money to begin with. So, until I am rich, it's thrifting for me!

7. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I dress very casually, and spend most of my time in sweats and a tshirt, that being said, I also like nice clothes, even though I don't dress up often. I'm not a clothes snob, so that makes things easy for me.
    Some people I know have to have name brand this, and name brand that. With that type of attitude, one can get frustrated pretty quickly when shopping for clothes unless one is just rolling in money, or has a good job with no responsibilities.
    If I have money to spare, I'll buy more expensive things than I would if I didn't have the money, but even still, I'll shop for clearance items, or go to thrift shops to find unique pieces.
    I have quite a few clothes, although some of them I don't wear because they are too small and I refuse to get rid of them and buy "bigger". If I need something, I don't really care where it comes from, so long as I like it.

8. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I first check out the the thrift stores and discount stores, like Ross. If I do not fullfill my seasonal shopping in these stores, then I will make a trip to the mall and get the rest of my clothes on sale. I have 4 people to shop for in all, so I have to make every penny count. I usually shop for clothes by season so that I get the sale prices and do not have to spend a ton of money on clothes for the entire year. I usually do one shopping trip during the spring and then another one at back to school shopping time so that I get the best deals.

9. Femiluv

FemiluvMember

Threads:
    I guess I've filled up my closet over the years. I still buy clothes seasonally but I usually write a list of specific items I need. This typically happens for work or when I start a new job. What usually helps is envisioning the look I'm going for and deciding what versatile items I need to pull it off. I usually start off checking local thrift stores to see what's available.

10. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I buy very few clothing to fill my closet, and it usually fills by Christmas presents and birthday presents. The rest of them are collected over the year, which I have no uses for them anymore. I plan on Spring cleaning and donate all of them to different charities.

11. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    I tend to go in one bug go and get everything I need. For me and not daughter. My husband does it in bits. The only issue us I'll then go window shopping and see something else I l like and must have and end up buying it. Its a pain because I end up buying double than what I actually needed. I have no self control

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have discovered the savings advantage of shopping for 2nd hand clothes, so that is what I do nowadays. You can easily fill your closet with a budget of $25 to $50 from my experience, if each piece of clothing costs $1 to $3 only. I also don't plan on buying clothes. I just buy them when I see something that I like.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I shop a little at a time. One clothing item every other month or whenever the need arises. There are so many stuff I'd like to buy but I cannot really buy a lot of clothes all at once. My closet might not be able to accommodate everything so the purchases will just end up gathering dust. I need to donate some of my old clothes first. I take out old clothes a little at a time so I gradually buy new ones.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't care about filling my closets. I have favorite pieces that I wash and wear often so I'm working on having a minimal closet with 21 changes of clothes.
    I've been buying things little by little as I find them on sale and I stick to a simple color palette so that everything basically matches.

15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I mostly do online shopping now because it's pretty convenient, and you will get the items of your choice delivered at your door the next day after you made the purchase. I am always on the lookout for discount coupons, and my favorite marketplace site occasionally offers that, that's really cool. So I usually buy new clothes whenever there's a huge sales or discounts. I couldn't miss out on those stuffs. ;):D

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do both. Sometimes I buy a little at a time and sometimes I buy loads at once. I think it just depends on my budget at the time or the availability of products as sometimes even when I do plan on buying a lot there aren't enough items for me to buy or the on sale items are just not appealing to me enough. Sometimes the prices don't seem cheap enough for me as I do like to buy lots of discount items rather than a few expensive ones.