How Do You Get Your News?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Pat • Aug 8, 2012.

1. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I hate the news websites that make you subscribe to read their stories though. It's so annoying. MSNBC, CNN, AP, Yahoo News, and other sites just promote their stories and allow you to read them in full. But some sites tease a story, and then expect you to subscribe a monthly fee to read their articles. It's like why? When I can get it for free at a better news site?

2. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Occasionally I read the local newspaper when at hand but I don't go out of my way to get one. I usually get the bulk of my news from the Internet. With family all over it's easier to see what is going on in their back yards.

3. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I don't actually check the news very often. When I do check it, I go online, basically when I've heard about something by word of mouth or I look up a storm. Like today I checked on Hurricane Isaac since I live in the Tampa Bay area. If I didn't go online and wanted to check the news, then I'd pick the newspaper. I don't ever schedule watching tv into my day.

4. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    Thank God for Twitter, news has become more accessible. I make a customized list on my Twitter where I subscribe to news Twitter pages such as CNN, Reuters, AP and BBC.

5. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Some of that news on Twitter is fake though from bogus accounts. So you have to be careful. I remember when this past free agency period in the NBA was happening. There were fake accounts on twitter tweeting that players had been traded or signed by new teams. Only to have the fan bases of those teams get all stirred up about the news. And then find out that it was fake. Because the twitter account didn't belong to a real sports reporter. But instead some 12 year old kid. There's also been false celebrity death rumors that have spread via twitter. Which doesn't surprise me considering Wikipedia has had to deal with the same thing in the past.

6. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    I watch the news on tv whenever I remember or have time to do so. Otherwise it's probably by word of mouth or on the Yahoo page when I check my email.

7. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I don't even read the newspaper. I can't remember the last time that I did and I don't even know what it looks like now.

I get my news from the Internet and my mobile phone. Much more faster than trying to read a newspaper.

8. youtubedomination

youtubedominationMember

Threads:
    I still get my news the good old fashioned way, through a local newspaper. The Vancouver Sun. Lots of online newspapers have begun charging for their online content, but I also get a free subscription for their online content.

9. WepeMimmish

WepeMimmishNew Member

Threads:
    Секта засняла реальное лишение девствен

Секта засняла реальное лишение девственности. Видео:

10. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I don't watch the news any more if I can help it. Of course, I want to know if there is a dangerous person in my area I should be aware of or a major event happening globally, but most of it is so depressing that I find it affects my mood for days. My husband will watch it every day, and he knows to only tell me things that are important for me to know.

11. Belindafierce

BelindafierceMember

Threads:
    I don't own a television at the moment (I'm kinda broke right now and just moved) so I get 90% of my news via the internet. Yahoo front page, news websites and blogs. While i'm out, I read newspapers.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dad who isn't tech savvy still buys newspapers everyday. He just feels incomplete if he doesn't get to read the newspaper. I get to read them too, but nowadays, I don't bother to scan the whole thing since I'm online most of the time, so that's where I just usually get or search the news that I want to read.

13. mslianne

mslianneNew Member

Threads:
    For now, I like to read online because I always work online. I also prefer newspaper but I actually don't have time to buy and read it from page to page. :) I also think that reading news online are much better. :)

14. MellowGuy

MellowGuyMember

Threads:
    I guess it's safe to say that most of the breaking news can be had online while surfing or doing social media. I don't depend on newspaper or television any more because it takes hours or even days for them to start announcing what I have already found online. One of the best sources of news online is Youtube. Some channels are free from political agenda or pleasing certain sponsors so you can get as an objective fact based view as you can. Remember that even CNN or PBS has sponsors to please.