How do you guys save on movies?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Denis Hard • Mar 18, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Being a movie-lover has some of it's downsides. You can't watch the same movie over and over and . . .

So how do you guys save cash on movies? Is subscribing to a streaming site worth it?

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I just wait for sales and price drops. A lot of stores both online and retail have a lot of promotions throughout the year. I usually keep a list of the movies I want to watch and wait for these opportunities. If I'm not mistaken, subscribing to streaming services has its limits like we can only watch them for a limited only right?

3. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    Redbox is pretty cheap and has fairly new releases. Streaming sites will never have the newer releases at least not at the prices they are offering right now. If Netflix were to offer the same inventory as Redbox the monthly price would skyrocket. So I would say your best bet is redbox. Dollar a movie is not bad at all for newer releases.

#3Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When going to the movies I have a card that allows me to buy two tickets for the price of one. I am also always browsing the net for free tickets and believe me, they come more often than we could expect if we are looking in the right sites. Also, recording movies with the TV Box is a great option as well. ;)

5. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    I wait until I can see them for free one way or another. Maybe a friend gets them, or there's a showing on campus, or whatever. I don't like having to drop 12 dollars on tickets even if the screen is really awesome.

6. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    Cineworld pass (UK) - that was years ago though and I'd often go there with my old colleagues when I had an office in the city centre.

Now that the cinema is no longer conveniently on the way to work; I make do by waiting for most movies to be free.

I also remember Orange (mobile network) ran a promotion called "Orange Wednesdays" (may still do it) - it works by giving you a free cinema ticket when you buy one in participating cinemas (so that you can treat a friend)

7. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't watch movies on the big screen as much as I did before. I don't have the opportunity due to time constraints and mommy duties, but I do find convenient ways
    to watch it by downloading it online. I wait for a few weeks after the movie premier so that the copy is better, yes, patience is one of my virtues.lol.

8. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I wait until the movies are on sale. I use Netflix alot and I love I have the luxury of using the internet on my bluray Dvd player to watch movies on crackle.com or hulu.com I can find all the latest tv shows and the movies and even short series.

9. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I agree 100%. This is the best way to watch new movies at home. It takes Netflix over a month to offer new releases. Red Box offers them the same week they become available.
    I do not know if that's true for Redbox Instant.

10. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    Redbox is the best way to save on movies. I really don't go to the theaters anymore unless I KNOW the movie is pretty dang good. If it has a pretty lame rottentomatoes score I usually just wait for it to come out to redbox. They've upped their prices over the last year, but who can beat a movie for less than $2? It's quite easy to find codes to lessen that price, too.

11. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    As long as you are comfortable watching them at home then it can be quite cheap. You also pay only a fraction for the snacks when you get them from the supermarket instead of the cinema.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    For home viewing, I save by not feeling the need to watch any movie as they are released, especially since they make so many of them that I can keep myself satisfied with slightly older and cheaper titles. As for watching in theaters, I save by having a good meal prior to going so I don't end up spending too much on snacks sold at the cinemas which are way too expensive. I usually have a full meal before going and then just ordering a snack and soda to take in and munch on while watching, so even though I still spend a good amount, I still end up spending way less than I originally would have had I gone in hungry.

13. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to watch them for free whether it be the free ones on demand or when they are on TV I DVR them. It isn't too difficult for me to save because many movies suck these days and if I even like them, I don't usually feel the need to watch them right away. I have been discovering older movies through the TV and it's amazing how many good movies I've never seen. If I feel like paying, I go to Wonder Book or Redbox.

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think subbing to a site that streams movies is good for a lot of people. Netflix doesn't always have the best movies, but they do have a lot of options in general, so you can usually find something to watch.

And depending on where your ethical lines are, you can also find a lot of movies streamed online for free, too.