How do you handle rude cashiers?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by maee9713 • Jan 15, 2014.

1. maee9713

maee9713New Member

Threads:
    It seems I run across rude cashiers on a weekly, sometimes daily basis. This can ruin any shopping experience big or small. Most of the time I tend to be overly kind to the ones that are rude. Maybe they’re just having a bad day. Sometimes though, I can be rude back, especially if I’m the one having a bad day. Then there’s those local stores that you go in to everyday and know the same cashier is always rude. I’ve been a cashier before at a couple of different jobs, and yes it wasn’t the most desirable position ever, but it’s still a job. You are still expected to perform to the best of your ability and that means being nice to the customers, even if they don’t deserve it.

So how to you react to rude cashiers? Kill them with kindness or snap right back?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fortunately, I have never encountered a rude cashier yet, but I remember when I was in grade school, I accidentally dropped the coins that I used to pay for my soda, and the woman attending to me stared at me, like she was trying to intimidate me. I said nothing, and my friend who accompanied me also said nothing. I was like 11 or 12 years old that time, but if that happened to me now that I'm already an adult, then I'd speak up and tell her that dropping the coins wasn't intentional, so quit giving me that intimidating stare.

3. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I never bother with rude cashiers. Why waste energy on someone that you'll maybe only face for a couple of minutes. If they act like a jerk that let them, these people don't worth my time. I pay the total price and leave ignoring them altogether.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I haven't paid for whatever I was buying yet, I'll simply walk out of the store and leave their stuff on the counter. There so many stores to shop in. Why would someone not appreciate the fact that it's the customers who buy at the store that ensure he keeps his/her job? What if they simply stop buying stuff from that store?

5. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Many of us have to deal with the public, so there is no excuse. If someone is really out of line, I will call back and ask for the manager. It could be just an off day and likely nothing will happen. If they are someone who are routinely rude..I would want to know if it was my store.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I find such a person my first instinct probably is to ignore it as I don't want to waste my time with something meaningless. If the person is in fact going to far I would take action like justusforus says, we are dealing with a professional with a code of conduct and if he/she is misbehaving his/her superior must be aware of it. ;)

7. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with Peninha, it's not worth it to waste my time and energy with these people.
    If they go over the line, then I'll snap right back and maybe call for the manager.

8. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    It all depends on the situation. In some shops, we are witnesses to the terrible working conditions suffered by the cashier and that is why we understand his mood. However I think that good manners are the norm and there aren't excuses for them let aside. I am very tolerant in that respect and I always have a nice answer, but our patience also has limits. :)

Regardless of employees, there is a particular situation that displeases me: the cashier / owner. In some small / medium business owners get to the front of the cash register and assume this task with great displeasure. These special cases deserve my rejection and my face of disgust.

9. Scipio

ScipioNew Member

Threads:
    When dealing with rude cashiers, I try to be vicarious of their position for a moment. These are people that are just like us trying to make a living, and maybe get back on their feet after dealing with overwhelming circumstances. I feel that the negative behaviors is due to several factors, but most of which is probably the work environment, and how they handle it.

Some may not have proper experience to reassess the situations, but realizing that dealing with complications is part of the process in having a job should be a standard they should practice. Usually rude cashiers aren’t really a problem for me to handle, because I know for sure that it’s just going to be a transient experience with them. Most of the time, if I ever see them again, I usually try to avoid them for the sake of reducing potential conflict. Sometimes they may see the error of their ways, especially if they know you’re a frequent customer, and they’ll be able to wise up and be respectful.

It just shows how in interviews for those signing up in jobs are merely a front. But once those individuals get the job, their promises gradually start fading away. But depending on the type of job they have, and the circumstances they’re in, facing those individuals can easily be handled when we realize those experiences are just temporary. To be honest with you, I just portray to them that I can be polite, and they’ll eventually run out of ways of sustaining the lack of professionalism.

10. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    I don't really encounter many rude cashiers, however I am sure I probably have before. The way I would most likely handle a rude cashier, would be just trying to get in and out the store as quickly as possible. I mean I can understand why a cashier would be mad, if I ever encountered one. They have to go through so much in one day, it has to take some toll on them. I mean just think about how many rude customers a cashier probably encounters every day.

11. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    In general, I try to kill them with kindness. Being an ex-cashier, I understand that standing on one's feet all day and serving people isn't easy. Although this is not an excuse to be rude, at times it gets to you. So, I just try to ignore the rude cashier's behavior.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The only thing that really infuriates me with cashiers is when they are lethargic, and waste too much time chatting with everyone. If you've got a long line of customers waiting, don't act oblivious and pretend like you don't see them - show a sense of urgency that you are trying to keep things moving along. I hate it when they act like they can't be bothered, and just putz around like they don't care. It's so inconsiderate.

Beyond that I would rather they not make small talk with me. I'm not there to chat, I'm there to get out asap. Plus what I'm doing is none of their business, nor anyone else in lines business. I was in line one time and the guy in front of me was buying some condoms, and the cashier held them up and showed the other cashier next to her - exclaiming really loudly "you know what he's up to tonight!". How embarrassing and rude!

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That was totally out of line, if I was the buyer I would certainly have called his superior or made a written reclamation about his behavior, I've never seen nothing like it!

You're right about cashiers being slow, not many things annoy me more than being in a shorter line and seeing the line next to mine moving faster. Then I look at my cashier and I find the answer, but please, if the guy doesn't has motivation to work he should give his place to other person who does.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, rude cashiers and salespeople are everywhere.... I have a hard time being polite back to be honest. I sometimes mumble stuff like "rude" to them, because I think they need to know they are being rude!!! I mean, yes they might be angry that day or hate their job, but more people face that everyday and can't be rude, and most people manage to leave their problems at home and treat clients at least with cordiality. I work with consumer experience and that is something we always emphasize a lot to our dealers: you need to be polite and treat the client with respect, ALWAYS!

15. amandak

amandakNew Member

Threads:
    I've worked as a cashier for a few years in various jobs. While some people are just frequently unhappy and rude, I find that in the case of cashiers, it happens mostly because customers were rude with them first. I have had so many customers be outright rude to me as a cashier for no reason, and it makes it very easy to be snippy with the next customer. So, if it's the first time experiencing rudeness from a cashier, I would either just stay neutral or be exceptionally kind, you just might turn their day around! On the other hand, if you've had the same cashier repeatedly be rude to you, I see no problem with dishing it back or making a complaint with the store.

16. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    To me, customer service is the most important job in a store. Employees can make or break some stores and it is rare that I am treated badly anymore. To be honest, I just won't put up with it. If that store has something that I can buy somewhere else easily, I'll just leave and go get what I need at there competition. Sometimes though, if it looks like they are having a bad day, sometimes you can tell by there body language that they are exhausted or upset and if that is the case then I kill them with kindness. If its during the holidays, then I definitely give them a break, I remember working in retail the day after Christmas or Thanksgiving and it was a nightmare. But then there is the option of smiling and taking your items home, then call the store manager. Nothing looks better for a cashier than to get a compliment from a customer and nothing is as bad as getting a complaint.

17. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I typically kill them with an annoying level of kindness, unless they say something extremely insulting or rude to me. Sometimes when I'm done with the transaction, I'll say, "Thanks. I hope you have a better day." I like saying that to rude cashiers because it subtly points out that they're being rude and they usually just stare at me embarrassed. Overall, though, I try to keep my snappy responses to a minimum because you just never know what kind of day or issues someone is dealing with internally.

18. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    Generally there is nothing you can do. Unless you want to waste about an hour of your time filing a complaint. I usually don't sweat it, and go on my way. It is not worth my time, and energy to get upset about something like that. I refuse to let them ruin my day.

19. cookiemonsterv16

cookiemonsterv16Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I have come across one too many rude cashiers than nice ones and it really does damper your day. So I just try to hurry up and get out of there before their attitude rubs off on me. Like they say cooler heads prevail so I just try to avoid adding more fuel to the fire.

20. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    There`s one quote, that will calm them for good: Call your boss here!
    When they hear the word `boss`, their tone start to be smoother, saying that they had a bad day too and so on, nobody wants to be fired, but some people deserve it, if they don`t learn to respect their job