How Do You Identify A Song You Just Heard?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by isabbbela • Mar 3, 2016.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you are listening to the song there are apps like Sound Hound that identify the song and find the name and singer for you. They are free to download!
    If not a simple google search of a part of the lyrics usually does the trick for me !

2. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Usually I just try and listen for as many words as possible, not tehn down (or remember) and then later on when I have the chance, I google "(words i can remember) lyrics" and usually it works. Sometimes I have to asks Yahoo answers though as the human element really helps here.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do the same. I memorize a part of the lyrics or even type it down on my notes app. As soon as there's available Internet, I search the lyrics online and voila... I get the song I wanted and proceed to find a MP3 site where I can download it. Sound Hound won't work unless the audio's clear.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too I do the same by putting the most used phrase or word in a search engine and it usually comes up with the artist that recorded. If not I describe the song and then it comes up. Either yuotube or search engine will provide the song and artist quickly. :)

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It strikes me as fitting that applications like soundhound and shazam are free because I have never gotten either of them to work for me, when I have tried to identify a song. I also wish that they would do a score music database of music, so that it would be easier to identify music without lyrics - music that you might hear in the background of a movie or documentaries. I have spent hours researching score music, only to be ignored by the artists that composed the song that I originally liked.

6. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Does Sound-Hound identify a song if you don't know any words but can somehow send them the melody or a rhythm-pattern (via microphone-or-something)?

If not, how do you usually find out which song it is? Ask friends & family & work-associates & classmates? Hunt for 'clues' (idea for a new Hardy Boys mystery---"The Case of 'Twenty-Five or -Six to Four'" :D)

7. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I usually ask friends if they've heard a similar song with those lyrics in it. I have one friend that seems to have a knack for remembering all the lyrics, names and artists of thousands of songs so he's a useful resource to ask! If that fails though I'll post on Yahoo Answers if a Google search doesn't come up with the title and artist. I tried using apps to identify the song for me but they never seem to work for me which is frustrating. I think they only seem to know really common songs or ones that are fairly current perhaps.

8. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well it usually takes a few times before I get it right, but I always try to remember one little line of lyrics so I can type it in and go from there. It happens a lot too, where I will be watching a movie or a show and I want to see who sings the song but I will forget the words and then I end up with something not even close. I eventually get there, though.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have mostly used Sony Ericsson phones, and they have a feature called
    TrackID that lets you record snippets of the song, and then it connects to the net and searches the song's title, artist, and album where it was taken from. So that's how I find song titles. I do also the Google and Yahoo Answers method if my phone can't connect to the internet.

10. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I make it a point to type down the words on the notes app on my phone and then later when i have the time i'd google the words and so far google hasn't failed me yet. :)

11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always try to jot down some of the most salient words, and the singer, if I know the person's name. When I'm able, I usually do a Google search if I'm on the computer, or I'll use Google Voice Search on my tablet. Sometimes there are similar sounding songs, so I try to remember certain phrases that stand out, and it can also be helpful to know the genre of the song.