How Do You Keep Yourself Cool In Hot Weather?

Discussion in Travel started by H.C. Heartland • Aug 13, 2016.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    One thing that can dampen my spirits for travel is summer temperatures. What do you do to cool yourself down during hot weather. I hate sitting in air conditioning so I'm always looking for ways to keep cool while still being outside. One of the things I do is wet a bandanna and then tie it around my neck. Or you can also do it around your wrists, sometimes I use a cold water bottle and put it on the points at my wrist which in turn cool the entire body down. Do you have any tricks to keeping cool so that you can remain active this summer?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used the wet or damp towel trick. It gets particularly hot here in the summers, and I've had heat stroke a few times, so I have to be very careful. I always wear a hat if I'm going to be out for any extended period of time. Not only can it help keep your head cooler, but it can also help prevent sunburn on your head, which can be extremely painful. I always carry at least one bottle of water, and usually carry two when I'm driving anywhere, just in case the car breaks down. If the battery dies, you won't be able to use the AC, and if you're stuck on the side of the road in soaring temperatures, extra water is always nice.

3. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Well, we are having a hot weather reprieve right now and temps are in the 70s. We have the windows open! But while it was hot, our ACs were not really getting the job done. We were dressing really skimpy and jumping in the shower regularly in order to stay cool. We had the fans blowing and it was working out great. It's been a really hot summer but I think it might be shutting down early this year!

4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I keep myself cool by using the technique of layering. Wearing clothes such that when the weather becomes cool or hot, you just have to remove or add pieces of cloth without looking odd. Otherwise, its good to keep to shaded areas or have a bottle of ice cooked beverage like a soda. Shaving a e removing headgear also helps.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    We have a great room and the window air conditioner just doesn't do a good job but keeps the air circulating that's enough to keep it from being stuffy inside. I usually find a shady spot in my backyard with lots of ice water. The less movement the better so I have a book or listen to music or watch shows on my phone.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I generally try to stay out of direct sunlight, drink cold water and carry an umbrella with me everywhere I go. I also ensure I wear very light clothes made out of mainly cotton. I wear lighter colour clothes and avoid dark colours as much as possible.

7. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    I find that if I drink ice cold drinks that helps me because I'm cooling off from the inside out. Usually, I just open the windows to let the breeze through the whole house. Then I wear cotton shorts and tanks that are really light and breathable.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We were in Bangkok last March where the weather was sizzling hot. Aside from wearing shorts and sando plus sneakers (leather shoes is hot to the feet) we always carry a bottle of cold water, the best is frozen water bottle which is a good way of cooling yourself. My nieces who is 20 years old had vomitted due to the extreme heat and one Thai advised us to get a cold water bottle which greatly helped my niece. And of course, avoid being under the direct hit of the hot sun. Another means to cool yourself is eat cold treats like ice cream and even cold fruits are okay.

9. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I don't mind to be in a air conditioned room in hot summers but while i have to go out i usually prefer to wear soft cotton shirts and drink ice drinks, avoid sun light's focus area. But my grandfather!! What a guy he is. He is allergic from air conditioned close window rooms. He use to wear cotton shirts, and before going to sleep he just put his cotton bed sheets in his refrigerator after packing it into its plastic bag. Once i had experience that was so cool and i can't compare it to air conditioned room's bed but was too good.

10. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    In as much as I do not like being under the air condition for all day I really can't do much to help during hot summer. To always feel cool I reduce the hours I spend outdoors away from the cooling system. I use the umbrella when walking out and always take cold bathe during the day and plenty of cold water.

11. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    You should drink some cool water but not extremely cold water because this can cause cramps,also if you spend a lot of time outdoors you could look for umbrellas,sit under trees,find tents,or gazebos and all of these are good places to relax in the shade. Also if you live near a body of water there is a probably a cool breeze blowing there as well.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I found peppermint oil for cooling hot spots like under arm, and other hot spots. If you're not allergic to peppermint oil, which is sold almost everywhere, just dab it on your hot spots directly on your skin and in a few seconds the cooling sensation happens. I've noticed that the hot spots stays cooler where you put peppermint oil. I've read in articles that orange juice also lowers body temperatures, so I like to buy the no sugar added frozen orange juice where you add your own water. Like others I use an umbrella to shade you from the sun. There is also a portable fan good to cool you. I've seen paper fans selling in stores at Chinatown locally and they got them at Walmart too. We get them free at our local Senior Fair that comes around in Sept. of every year or free at some Oriental events too.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Pravish

PravishMember

Threads:
    With globally rising temperatures , it has become now necessary for us to find out new ways and take necessary precautions to beat this heat. I come from a tropica country. The temperatures here range from 30 degrees celcius to 45 degrees celcius during summers. So here is how I beat the heat:
    I drink a lot of water and fruit juices which help me to keep hydrated all time in a dehydrating environment. I avoid wearing dark colored clothes when stepping out in the sun because dark colors, especially black absorbs a lot of light and in turn producing heat. The best color I prefer during summer is white. Avoid having chilled water immidiately after coming back from the hot sun, as the body would produce more heat thinking the body is cooling down at an abnormal rate. Avoid being in a closed room with no ventilation. Always keep yourself in a well ventilated area. I take a shower the minute I get the sticky feeling of sweat. It won't be possible when you are travelling, but if you have a chance, please take a shower to avoid skin infections and other skin related problems. Enjoy your summer :) BEAT THE HEAT!

14. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not really an active type of person, so I don't mind just sitting at home in an aircon room. But I find myself just lingering in the bathroom longer than usual, around 2 hours at the most just pouring water on myself and even surfing the net as I take a bath. It's like taking breaks in between a bath. That's a cheap way to keep yourself cool, just linger in the bathroom.

15. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    We have an air cooler so I would just sit in front of it whenever I feel too hot. My other ways include drink lots of cool drinks, juices, buttermilk and wearing cotton dresses. I will also wear a bandana soaked in cool water around my neck and it beats the heat so much.

16. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When planning our travels, we now take into consideration the climate of the country where we plan to go to. We had been to Bangkok twice and both times it was summer. There was no way to fight off the hot weather except to stay indoors. And since we are tourists so we had no choice but to endure the heat. In fact, my niece got sick because of extreme hot weather. Our next travels to tropical countries would be in the later part of the year when it’s not hot so we can enjoy roaming. But beware of the rains huh.

17. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I like to freeze a bottle of water over night and take it where ever I go. With this bottle I can obviously drink it to keep cool also place it on my forehead if the heat gives me a headache. I use light colored clothing and try to wear it as thin as possible. While at home fans are what keeps me cool and also taking a shower with cool water.

18. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    I normally like wearing caps and hats and it perfectly suits me in hot weather. They shield me from the hot sun. When travelling, I always try and carry many drinks in a small freezer. This makes sure that whenever I need to cool myself up, I have a cold drink. Water is also a good cooler. I like to pour water on myself to reduce the heat. Mainly, I try and use methods that will not cost me a lot of money since my sole aim is to have fun at the same time, saving.

19. dane

daneMember

Threads:
    I don't particularly mind sitting in air conditioned places so that has been my primary source of getting cool when the weather gets too hot for comfort. I like the idea of using a wet scarf. Next time it's that hot I'm going to try it out. Sometimes when you're sitting outside with no air conditioning it can get a little uncomfortable, but that should make things better.

20. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I am so sure all of the tips and posts will be really helpful for those who want to read some of the stuff like it and suffering from such issues.