How do you recover from your workout?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • Jan 7, 2015.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    After a very strenuous workout what really can be done to ease that muscle fever and to regain strength fast? Well, what I do is that I don't really sit down and rest. I continue to be doing just the same thing withstanding the pain, and of course I eat foods that would help me fast for my recovery like fruits and vegetables and peanut butter and say it, a lot of water. I really drink a lot of water and eat just right amount of fruits and vegetables.

2. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    Hi, Ancient Poster, I'm actually a personal wellness coach.

A lot of people have misconceptions about what to do after workout. Exercise has so many benefits. To give you energy throughout the day, to speed up your metabolism and to tone your muscles. The important thing to do after workout is to replenish your body with what you lost. That means you have to feed your body with the proper amount of vitamins, minerals, and complete nutrients, including protein. Most fruits and vegetables don't have protein, so you're not feeding your body with everything your body needs.

At least 30 minutes after working out, feed your body with protein to feed your muscles. One thing you cannot miss is REST. Your muscles are built during your sleep.

3. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    Following an intense workout, it is best to consume some protein and carbohydrates to promote synthesis of your anabolic hormones, which help to increase muscle mass and recovery. If you are doing resistance training, adequate amounts of protein is essential to build and repair skeletal muscle. If you finished a long aerobic workout such as a run, make sure to eat more carbohydrates as your glycogen levels will have been depleted. The carbohydrates are also beneficial following a resistance training session, as glycogen will similarly be depleted. Replacing minerals and water lost during sweating is also important in your recovery. Furthermore, sleep is also very important as this is when most of the recovery and synthesis occurs in a day.

4. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I believe that the best way to relax is to use certain posture of yoga to help a person to relax. I think it is for the very best of the people to use this technique.

5. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Yoga is recommended. Also be careful, a proper workout doesn't mean you will kill all your muscles from activity. As others have stated, workout has many benefits. From daily energy, to increasing overall strength and keep a healthy lifestyle. Do not forget your cardio as it is extremely important for you well being.

6. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    It's important to have a balanced diet when you workout, don't forget to eat three healthy meals a day consisting of complex amino acids and electrolytes, this will help your muscle to recoup faster and stop it from burning, it's important to drink lots of water to hydrate, a multivitamin is a good idea especially one consisting of E, D, B, and C, all vitamins are good for you but these ones especially play a part in repairing bone muscle and skin tissue, rest is also important after good work out, your body repair itself and rebuild best when it's at rest.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When there's Gatorade on hand, I'd go for it first before proceeding to drink a few glasses of water. Sometimes, working out makes me so dizzy and hungry that I end up eating at least a slice of bread if not a few bananas. I simply feel the need to replenish the amount of sugar I lost after the workout. Sugar's necessary for me because my job requires constant thinking. Workouts usually drain what little sugar's left in my system.

8. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I simply take a 30-minute walk to think of my plans for the day. Once I'm done with my walk I eat fruits and vegetables then I go take a shower. However, when I feel that I'm still in sweating mode then I take a break for additional minutes till my body stabilizes. When I feel that I'm done sweating, I shower then prepare for school. I usually wake up at aroung 5:00 in the morning so that I won't be late for my class. I also only do a 30-minute workout consisting of pushups, curlups, etc. Basically exercises that don't require equipment since I don't own one.

9. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    You should enjoy that soreness, because it's the best proof that your workout was a good one and you managed to push your body to it's limit. You are probably a beginner in fitness, because I assume that this is the reason why it feels so strange. But I can help you with some tips to speed up your recovery. The most important method of recovery is sleeping. You should sleep about 8 hours per night, because this is the time when your muscles are being repaired. Another tip would be to take an aspirin right after your workout. Keep in mind that your diet is very important if you work out. Your body needs a lots of protein for muscle growth and recovery, so a protein shake before and after a workout is recommended.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't do anything different. I just sit and rest for at least half an hour and drink a lot of water. I don't like drinking things like Gatorade. Also I like to take a moment before I go to take a shower and eat just because if I work out hard my muscle shake a lot, so I like to give them time to rest and go back to normal.

11. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I like to walk around a bit and stretch softly after a work out -- but the slowing the movements down with walking is essential for me, I could never just stop and sit, it'd make me feel a bit sick and light-headed. So I walk and breathe and stretch. Get my heart rate down and all. When that's over with, that's when I stop and drink water (or chocolate milk! I like to treat myself haha) and sit. I like when my muscles buzz, but I never push myself this far that after stopping and slowing down they would still hurt or start feeling sore right away.

I'm also not a fan of Gatorade, too.

12. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    Depending on what I was doing that day, likely a protein shake and water to rehydrate. If I'm doing a lot of cardio, some fruit and water to rehydrate as I'm less worried about putting protein in my body. Some is necessary but not as much as if I were lifting weights.

After I have a hot shower, I love just flopping in to bed and waiting for my body to cool off. Feels nice on the cold sheets :D

13. zenfive

zenfiveMember

Threads:
    I like to finish off my workouts with a cool down because that helps with avoiding soreness and aching the next day, and helps speed up the recovery of your muscles. Definitely drink a lot of water and replenish your body with eating a healthy meal, really depends on what time of day you do your workout. Keep in mind to also stretch/do a warm up before you start your workout, this has the same effect as I mentioned about the cool down.