How Do You Remember Your Passwords?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by DrRipley • Jun 21, 2014.

1. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Basically i have 2 main passwords that i use at the moment. I'll probably go crazy trying to remember them all if i use different passwords from every accounts i have. I can only imagine the frustration i get every time i can't remember one. I have a main password that i only use for my main email account and to some money-involving websites and then i have another main password that i use for social networking accounts, forums and other not-so-important websites. I change my passwords from time to time.

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I use only 3 passwords for all the sites and memberships. From these 3 passwords, I have different variations of them like the whole password, the first 8, or the last 8 letters and numbers. Even so, sometimes I forget about it when the site is a place I've not been visiting often. I usually have my passwords saved on a piece of paper so whenever I forget, I'll look at the piece of paper with my login credentials.

3. kaylahambrick

kaylahambrickMember

Threads:
    I use the same password for everything just about. If anything is changed its the number used or whether a letter is capital or lowercase. This makes itneasy on me. Way easier than having tons of different passwords. The only ones I change around are the ones that are really important and need to stay completely private.

4. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    :rolleyes:I like your style dear, you really make life look very easy. I have to say though, that using the same password for multiple accounts is a very risky thing to do, unless of course, those accounts are not very important: Or better still, you don't mind if they get hacked.

For accounts that do not require serious security, I'll suggest using a regular pattern for passwords, in order to make them easy to remember. For example, let's say you are a member of the following social platforms:

Twitter

Facebook

MySpace

You could use the following passwords for your Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace accounts respectively:

meinfacebook.com

meintwitter.com

meinmyspace.com

This way, all you need to do remember your password is to remember the name of the service you're actually subscribed to.

Agreed, some sites require you to make use of certain character combinations(such as a combination of special characters, numbers, and alphabets) for passwords; for such sites, I try to bend the passwords I use to fit my rule, while also obeying the rules stated for naming passwords at the site. When this approach simply doesn't work, I just go ahead and use anything that comes to my mind. Some thoughtful sites will send you your account detail (via your supplied e-mail address) after signup. If this happens, then it actually makes life easy. If it doesn't happen this way, then, whenever I visit a site to which I'm subscribed, and I know I don't remember my password, I just enter anything in the password field. Most sites will show you an error message, with a click-able text saying "Forgot your Password?" or something like that. I click the link to complete the password-reset process. Once the password is reset(usually to some weird string of text) and sent to my mail box, I just leave it there; I don't bother going to change into something more reasonable. I do this for all the sites that will not accept my set password rule. Whenever I need to log-in to different sites to which I'm subscribed, I just get my e-mail box opened(gmail is my favorite). For those sites that allow my password rule to hold, I go ahead and log-in: For those that don't fit well into my rule, I use the search bar inside my gmail inbox to search for the site - I simply type the site's name + the word "password" in the bar, as shown in the screenshot below:

gmail.

Gmail will normally pull-out all the mails that correspond to your search. Once I click to open the mail that holds the reset password for the site, I copy the password(Remember? The one I said earlier I don't bother changing) and paste in the password field at the site, check the option to keep me logged-in or remember me next time, and then hit log in.

Don't laugh at my funny trick. It works for me.:D

#24Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  5. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I'm surprised so many people use the same passwords online and aren't too worried about it, especially when there are free password memory programs out there like LastPass. I have these programs generate everyone of my passwords using at least 12 characters, and often symbols like $#@, etc. With all of the news of hacking, I would suggest this idea to everyone here.

6. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    I use long passwords with upper nad lower case characters, along with numbers and symbols and don't really have problems remembering them. If you don't want to use Lastpass, which is a great app that is on the market exactly for people like you that struggle to remember all of their passwords, try out this nifty trick: The longer the password is, the better, right? So why not write a whole sentence in as the password, including spaces?

A password for Facebook, for instance, could be "I hate Facebook but still use it #1984". The number at the end could be the same for all of your passwords, since the hackers usually use software to try to break the password and using a number just makes it harder.

Hope this helps you out. :)

7. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I keep a text file containing all my accounts and passwords. I also use a browser add-on called LastPass. It is a password manager that handles all your passwords for you. It is 100% safe. I've been using it for more than a year now and never had a problem. I also make it a habit to change passwords every 2-3 months. And try to use different passwords for each account you have.

8. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes list them somewhere and make a txt file of all my passwords. But I usually use the same passwords for several sites, I'm not really afraid of getting hacked or anything since I don't have information worth stealing and my bank accounts are pretty much drained out LOL

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just have my passwords written on a little notepad stashed in a hiding place. Even if I was robbed, no thief would look for a little notepad so I'm not worried about it falling into the wrong hands

10. donding

dondingNew Member

Threads:
    I second the motion to write down passwords on paper. In case your computer has a keylogger installed, or someone is secretly taking screenshots of your computer, the contents of your file as well as what you are typing could be in jeopardy. That's why I like to go old school with the pen and paper method. And if, for some reason, I think I don't need my old logins, I can physically tear up and destroy the paper. I don't have a similar guarantee that the data on my computer is totally gone when I hit delete.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use the names and birthdays of ex boyfriends, usually I can tell when I set up the account according to the password. Occasionally I will change them if I can't bear to see the name any longer, but that has only happened once.
    I have been locked out of accounts before, so try to keep to a couple of names that I am okay with still seeing.

12. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    The best thing to do is use the same password for every thing you do . On the flip side, never tell no one your password. With todays online signups and so forth, you would drive yourself crazy trying to keep up with a thousand different passwords. Just get organized and use one.

13. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    They say it is not a good idea to use the same password for everything just in case a system gets hacked. I make up stuff at the time I enter in a new password. No rhyme or reason. They are mostly things I have around me, what I like, or what I am thinking about for the day. I keep all my passwords in a small flipbook, and I store it in my safe. If I don't remember a password, I will get out the notebook and look.

14. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    The best way to keep your passwords safe is to memorize it really. I mean, if you list them somewhere somebody could just pick up on it possible make a mess out of your accounts. I do keep my passwords in a text file but that text file is all jumbled up and it puzzle form so I'm the only who can decipher it. It's kind of a hard work doing it but hey, I feel like a spy doing it.