How do you revitalize leftovers?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by True2marie • May 18, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    What's your best trick for revitalizing leftovers? Mine are turning anything rice-based into a stir fry or making the traditional sandwiches out of meat. Both work and depending on how well you re-season the food taste great.

110113_tday_grilledcheese.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Rice is relatively easy to liven back up with some extra chicken stock, putting it in a microwave safe container with a tight fitting lid and nuking it for a minute or two - it will typically become fluffy and steamy again. I will typically use it up in a burrito, along with some black beans and salsa. I'll mix all three together and warm through in the microwave, then warm some tortillas (with a little cheese) in the microwave as well, then assemble everything together and roll them up.

If it's a pasta dish, I just dump more sauce on it and nuke it, then add a ton of parmesan cheese on top to give it more flavor. For some reason, pasta dishes seem to lose flavor when they are stored overnight. It might have something to do with the starches, I suppose.

Leftover chicken, beef, or roast pork, I will make sandwiches with. Or if there isn't a whole lot left, I will throw them into a stir fry along with some veggies, over rice.

3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I like to reheat everything on or in the stove. A microwave just seems to destroy all the hard work I put into my food. It drives me crazy when people reheat things in the microwave. I also get the feeling they lie their heads off to me when they say they heat it on the stove. I doubt it. The ease of the microwave is too alluring apparently.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Mine just kind of depends. Sometimes it's simple enough to simply reheat the food and eat it as is.

Quite frequently I do repurpose the foods into a similar, but different dish. Like I might use leftover taco meat for nachos. Or rice for fried rice, etc.

5. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure what is in that picture, but it looks great!

There are a few things that I do to reinvent leftovers. Sometimes, I'll turn them into a casserole or soup. I might make them into a stir fry or a skillet dish. I get creative with all sorts of things...for example, I might turn leftovers from taco night into a nice taco soup, or I might use skillet meal leftovers to make a casserole.