How Do You Save A Ripped Couch?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Colebra • Mar 17, 2015.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Do you know anything about fixing this stuff?
    It's not really a big rip, but it's slowly getting worse.
    At this point I just cover the cushions with a blanket...

What are my options?

Thanks for sharing, folks!

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I assume it isn't on the seam? If not, this is how you can fix it:

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is important to know what type of material the sofa is covered in. The link above gives good repair instructions for a leather type covered sofa. A material covered sofa you would what to a different repair method, if you need to cover a cushion it is really easy to get a new slip cover to cover the rip.

4. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    I have done my own uppostery on two couches and a chair. I simply bought fabric and cut a patterned based on the already existing furniture. It was time consuming and the first two were not so great. The recent one I did was rather nicely done. How about a pillow case? You could buy matching pillow cases and fit them around the cushions and sew as needed. If you do not like sewing, there is fabric glue that you can find at fabric and sewing stores like Jo-Anne fabrics and crafts or Michael's art supplies. Would be nice to find out how you eventually fix your tear.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you don't care about looks, then just take some duct tape to it, and you'll be fine. There are some more complicated fixes you can undertake in order to restore the couch to its previous condition. It might not be worth it, depending upon how much damage there is on the couch.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it's fabric and not too badly shredded, you can probably sew up the rip with a needle and thread.
    My old couch had two big cushions as a backrest, so I just sewed new covers for them.

7. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Another creative way to prevent ripping until you decide which method you are going to use is to get some double-sided tape wide enough to cover the rip, bring the loose ends together as closely as possible and then press down smoothly. It's only the cost of the tape maybe found at an upholstery shop or online.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I believe that the best way to save your ripped couch is to properly take care of it. It is very important to not try use it extensively.

9. Peachdejour

PeachdejourMember

Threads:
    I have one large cushion on the end of my sectional that my dog jumps up on to look out the window. Her back nails dig in and the little tears have become big ones. I have been looking all over the internet for sectional slip cover and couch protectors and it's like they do not exist. I like I might have to recover the top of the cushion myself. It's going to be a job.