How do you save money on Christmas toys?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by True2marie • Dec 18, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    How do you save money on Christmas toys?

For me, I shop discount stores such as Target and also thrift stores. They usually have the best deals. Also, the toys are fine for young children who aren't caught up in brand names yet.

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    That is such a good idea! I have been buying at Walmart in the clearance section. I am starting now. I found some cute toys there and some houseware goods for family friends. I buy early and I buy with coupons and gift cards so I save even more!

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually only buy from the sale areas because those are still good brands anyway and the only reason they are on sale is because they are old stock. As long as the box is still in good condition I'll usually opt for those. I also tend to shop online or at least I try to check out my options before I go to physical stores so I get to compare and see what I have to choose from. If I've the time I'll only buy everything at the second trip once I've already planned and calculated everything. It seems like a lot to go through for just toys but I buy for a lot of kids and if I'm not careful I end up overspending which comes out to way more than just making two trips to the mall and some time spent researching online.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most malls usually have their Halloween and end of the year sales, so that's the perfect time that you can get some discounts on kid's toys. Buying from thrift stores and street peddlers also gives you great discounts.

5. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We just buy on our local market called Divisoria. They have a huge selection of cheap toys. They even have clothes and shoes. But for toys, we buy them there because you can find toys that are cheaper by a whole lot from malls. They even have some toys there that cannot be found in the mall. We're thinking of buying my son's bike from there too.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been learning how to make wooden toys and though the few I've made so far have been horrible, the more I practice the better I get to be at it.

While in the past searching for deals is how I saved money on toys starting this year and onwards, I won't buy toys anymore. I'll make the toys myself. It [making the toys] will keep me busy on weekends and save me the money entertainment in the process.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, every year we say that we are not purchasing any more toys for the children, because their toy collections grown each year with birthdays and Christmas, and out house doesn't grow, so we struggle more and more each year to find places to store the toys. So we save money by telling the kids that they are not getting any more toys, because they already have enough lol.

8. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like to start shopping now too. If I know what my nieces and nephews are into ahead of time I start to look for sales on particular items. I love to do this online. I look for free shipping too. I will start looking through clearance sections as well. If I find something on sale that's a great price say under $10 I'll even buy a second one and put it away as a birthday present. I have a bin of toys that I can pull from for when my kids are invited to birthday parties and you need a gift. I stick with Barbie and Disney for girls and superheroes stuff for boys. They are always a hit.

9. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I have started my Christmas shopping early this year for my little one, thanks to a few garage sales and a massive mom-2-mom sale! My little one is too young to tell whether or not the present is new, and I'm sure he'll be happy with whatever is in the box (or the box itself!). Toys and books are always cheap at garage sales, mom- 2-mom sales, and thrift stores. I would also like to get into making some toys for little one, too, such as sewing soft stuffed animals and balls, and eventually a wooden tool set.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've read about layaways to purchase Christmas presents at stores. People who have used layaways say it is interest free and when you're done paying for it it's yours! I've never used layaway myself, but I've been

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a tradition here called caroling. Similar to trick or treat except the kids would be singing Christmas carols in exchange for coins, candies or items that you would give them. For the last night, which is on Dec 24, we usually give away toys aside from the coins and candies. I would go to Divisoria and buy toys in bulk which they sell at 50% discount or even lower. That's my secret.

12. Carnold23

Carnold23New Member

Threads:
    I save money but buying for Christmas a year. I shop when there is good sales on and I usually get all my gifts for a fraction of the retail cost.
    This is my first year shopping for Christmas earlier then October and I have saved a fair bit of money!

13. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Buy stuff that's on sale, well ahead of time. The kids in my family are still too young to care about specific toys, so they don't whine if they get something from last year's selection. Not sure if I can keep doing that, though... the older one's almost six...

14. bigsumm22

bigsumm22New Member

Threads:
    Buying early, catching those clearance deals, weather that be at the store or online. I buy all throughout the year and in the end it saves me not only time but money. I just store most items in the attic, however I have been known to try and figure out where I stored everything a few days before Christmas. :) I have been saving money on my Christmas gifts like this for years, I just realized one year, I was tired of fighting the crowd and paying extra during the stressful holiday season. I'll keep this up for as long as I can, while my children are young and really don't have a need for the newest "hottest" gifts of the year out there yet.