How do you save money on food?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by BonnyC • Apr 11, 2012.

1. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I am not very good at cutting out coupons. When I do remember to cut coupons out, we use them on Wednesdays when our local grocery store has double coupon days. We also compare prices and Walmart will match prices that our local grocery store has them for cheaper. We try to buy things when they are on sale. The last thing that we do to help save us money is by using our rewards card. We have a rewards Visa card that gives us points when we use our Visa card. We can cash these points in for gift cards. We have saved a lot of money by using our Visa card. We are very good about making sure that we pay off our Visa card in full so that we don't end up paying more money on our purchases.

2. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be really good about using coupons, but slowly got lazy about clipping them. Since the price of food has skyrocketed, though, I am going to start making a full effort to use them again. I started getting the Sunday paper just so that I receive the coupon inserts. I love when the store is running a sale on an item that I also have a coupon for - it's a great bonus. The store I shop at also doubles manufactuor coupons, so there's really no excuse not to use them. I also shop at the grocery store in my area that have the cheapest prices. The other two stores offer fuel perks, but you pay so much more for groceries just to get them that it isn't wprth it.

3. mirage1440

mirage1440Member

Threads:
    SavingStar is a great coupon site. You can register your store rewards card on the site and then add coupons directly to your card. No coupon clipping or remembering to take them to the store with you! Works great. You can print out a shopping list of the coupons you've added to your card so you don't forget. I wish they offered more deals, but it's a start.
    I also like using websites that list the sales going on at local stores. If you use these sites and can match up which coupons you have to the deals of the week, you can save a ton. It's not always the best time to use the coupon on the week it comes through the mail. Sometimes if you wait a week or two and combine the coupon with an in-store sale, you can really make out.
    Little known fact: If you have a buy one, get one free deal, you can usually use two coupons because even though one item is free, you are still purchasing two items. Say the store is offering buy one get one free on Colgate toothpaste, and you have two $1.00 off coupons. You can use both because you are purchasing two items and the coupon says one coupon per item. I learned this trick and have been saving even more on our grocery bill!

4. Hickorycottage

HickorycottageMember

Threads:
    I love to shop at Aldi and buy in bulk as much as possible. I cook from scratch a lot, and usually buy generic brands. I like to cook extra food for supper, and that's what the hubby takes to work for his lunch the next day.

5. Hickorycottage

HickorycottageMember

Threads:
    I usually don't use coupons, because most coupons are for brand names, and I hardly ever buy brand name stuff in the first place. Very rarely will the reduced price be cheaper than generic. On some I occasions, I will buy the brand name if it is on sale for less than generic.

6. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I save the most on food at school. I always try to make my own meals at home and then take them to school to avoid having to get one of their overpriced menus (which are gross by the way). I save so much every day and every week for doing that, and I get to eat whatever I want.

7. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Well I like to use the coupons, from groupon and weekly ad, and I also like to limit my food intake. This makes for a less expensive total monthly grocery bill. I don't necessarily feel that you can get a deal with every coupon, because that just isn't the case. You could have a coupon for buy one get one for half off and still not be saving. But if anyone wants to save and is trying to budget than coupons are definitely the way to go. Also don't forget to stock up on Noodles.

8. Stephanie

StephanieMember

Threads:
    I don't pass up potlucks at church and the like. You get a great meal for the cost of a dish or 2.

9. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for mentioning this, I was just coming back here to comment about it. My sister recently told me about it and I signed up. I'm all set to save $3.90 on some really good looking food that I'll actually use! I love the fact that it has a mobile app. Makes it easier to remember what you have a coupon for while you're at the store.

10. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    I have various ways I try to save money on food. I clip a lot of coupons and also gather them from the store when they are available. I've noticed they have been pretty scarce at the stores now. I also buy in bulk when things are on sale and stock up. I know which days my grocery stores mark down items for last day of sale, and I make sure to buy my breads and such on those days. They will mark the bread down to 99 cents a loaf and then I just freeze what we won't use right away. Pies will be half price and other desserts or treats as well. Yogurts will mark down to half price as they get close to expiration and it never last long enough to go bad in my house, so I will pick it up then.

I watch for mark down bins as well. At the end of seasons, there will usually be big bargain bins filled with things they won't keep until next year. Last year I got 6 bags of freezies for this sumemr for 99 cents each. They also do it sometimes when packaging changes, so they will mark down the old packaged ones, but there's nothing wrong with the food. We have BOGO sales here some weeks as well, and sometimes it'll be buy 1, get 2 free. I will really stock up on those days since there are usually some really awsome deals.

11. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    i use a very simple way to save money on food. What I do is to stretch one meal into two. My main meal is lunch. So I cook up enough for lunch. However instead of eating everything, I would eat only about half and keep the other half for dinner. Cuts the food bill down by nearly half this way.

12. MissyMiss

MissyMissNew Member

Threads:
    I save money on food by going grocery shopping a few times a week. I don't eat many boxed or canned items, so this works well for me. I used to shop once a week and always ended up throwing away tons of fresh produce. I was wasting several hundred dollars a month.

13. alexis712

alexis712New Member

Threads:
    I make my own meals at home too. It's a lot cheaper than standard cafeteria fare and way healthier than those production line "food" you get at Mcdonald's or at any fast food chain.

I try to avoid snacks (like chips, softdrinks, cookies, etc) if I can. These small purchases can add up in the long run. I try to eat only when I have to.

14. franceR

franceRNew Member

Threads:
    When it comes to enjoying food, the most expensive options aren’t necessarily the best. You don't have to break the bank to enjoy good, healthy food. Although it seems like celebrity chefs and food bloggers use fancy and expensive ingredients, there are budget-friendly alternatives to making delicious food that don’t require crème fraise or truffles. An excellent strategy for saving money on dinners is to consume breakfast for supper. But that does not mean you'll be spending all your shopping time in the cold cereal section. Here are a few suggestions for cheap breakfast food that's completely suitable for supper:

15. GrandmaHugme

GrandmaHugmeMember

Threads:
    Although I understand that we need to cut back due to today's economy, I have found that I do not need to use coupons or look for sales. Our food comes from a garden and also from local organic farmers which include range-fed chickens and stream-fed fish. Because we do not buy anything in a jug, jar, bottle, bag, can or box due to the toxins in all processed foods (colorings, additives, preservatives and sometimes antibiotics), our costs are actually lower than if I did shop and purchase those toxic foods. We avoid sugar completely as it is a toxin that affects the brain and actually turns off the "I am full" switch so you keep on eating! That is why we have an epidemic of obesity. It is not the calories or carbohydrates. If the switch actually worked as it should, we would not feel hungry and would stop eating so much food - consuming only what we need to be healthy. With no need to look for coupons and sales, we can devote our efforts to tending the garden or canning any extra produce. I like to think we are going back to the "way it was supposed to be" when providing food for our family.
    ~

16. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I use discount warehouses like Sam's Club. I can buy a month of groceries and cleaning supplies for just over $400 and we're a family of 5!

17. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    There are many ways to save money on food. The simplest, of course, is just not to eat food. I don't mean go on a permanent hunger strike. What I mean is that, generally speaking, most of us can cut down our intake of food by about half and still be as healthy. Actually, by doing that you are likely to end up being more healthy.

18. Benleem

BenleemNew Member

Threads:
    I found out cooking a meal for one is too costly than just grabbing something along the way from work. Saves time as well since I do not have to rush to the grocery or pass by the supermarket frequently. When I have time to cook something, I make sure I have some coupons to save a little while shopping for the food. Great tips to check out in this thread ^.

19. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I use coupons too because those things can really do wonders when it comes to saving a lot of money! Whenever I go to the grocery, I make sure to create a list of the things to buy and only those that are needed. This prevents me from spending on stuff that I end up purchasing that i don't really need.

20. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    We would normally go for the store brands, as some of their stuff are really good. Other than that, we would look for deals or promotions on the food items. We have Woolworths here in Cape Town and I love the products because they are fresh, albeit slightly more expensive from others. It would help if they have promotions or coupons for their products!