How Do You Save Money on Hair Care

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Mudd04 • Jul 17, 2012.

1. Mudd04

Mudd04New Member

Threads:
    For myself, I really don't do anything with my hair but trim it and when people ask me if I dye it I tell them I barely even brush it. :) ... No special fancy stuff for me.

Many of the girls I know spend tons on salons and beauty supplies and getting their hair done though. The amounts they spend sometimes boggles my mind. How can they get the looks they want cheaper without spending a fortune on their hair? What ways do you save money on salons, hair care, products etc. or do you just splurge? Have you purchased a product that has saved you other costs?

#1Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  2. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I have to admit I am one of those girls that spend money on hair salons, beauty salons and products. Someone has to keep them in business. :) Seriously though, I enjoy the pampered feeling I get when I go for beauty treatments and the older I get the more expensive it becomes as there is so much more to maintain. If the budget is tight for a few months I will give myself a pedi or facial, etc but it just doesn't feel the same and the results aren't as good.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I save money by getting my hair cut at the local market, rather than getting a salon cut. It costs me around 5 Euro (£4, $8) and as it's a professional hairdresser who does it, I always get good results. I colour my own hair, using a colourant from Poundland which costs - you guessed it! - £1. I buy 2 or 3 when I'm in the UK, and I only need to do it three times a year. I use Schwarzkopf shampoos and conditioners, but again, I buy them from discount stores, or stock up when there is a BOGOF offer on. I spend very little money on my hair, but everyone comments on how good it looks, so I'm obviously doing something right.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I save money buy using homemade products rather than store bought ones. If you look at the ingredients to the best "all-natural" hair and skin products, you'll realize that you can find all of those things in a grocery or drug store for much cheaper.

5. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I save money by doing my own hair. I don't believe in chemicals in my hair so I buy my own shampoo and conditioner and whatever I need for my do and keep it moving. I don't believe in hair salons and thank goodness I don't because they can take out your hair with all those chemicals that they use and you have no idea of what they are using on your hair.

6. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I save money on haircuts by doing it myself. If you look up ponytail haircut on Google, you'll find sites that'll show you how to do this. It's fast, easy and it works. I also color my hair at home. Well, actually my sister, mom and I color one anothers hair.

And I save money on hair products by saving shampoo, conditioner and product coupons and using them when you see they go on sales at the store. Or you can join TheGroceryGame.com and they'll do all the leg work for you. All you do is save the coupons from the Sunday Times each week then this site will tell you which items go on sale that go with the coupons you've saved. I save lots of money this way, not only on hair products but on fruit, veggies and other products.

7. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    For the past 2 years, I have been doing my hair or getting a family member or friend to do it. I use very inexpensive products and I have found that they can be as effective in keeping my hair healthy as the expensive products. I have also been using a few things that can be purchased in a grocery store such as olive oil and honey.

8. laceiron

laceironNew Member

Threads:
    I constantly scour the internet looking for cheaper alternatives to expensive products. So that helps. But the best thing to do is to go on youtube and watch the massive amounts of hair tutorials on there. There are so many tips and tricks for styling and coloring hair! I like to watch a bunch of videos with a few friends and then use what we learned on each other. I also cut my own hair, but don't do that unless you aren't too afraid of the results. Generally, you can't go wrong with razoring. :)

9. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    As much as I try to save on hair care products, I second think about it sometimes because cheaper products may contain harsh chemicals - and I don't want too much harsh stuff on my hair. One great way of saving a ton of cash is by using natural products such as milk, yogurt and aloe vera.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    That's probably the best way, especially considering that more expensive products also contain harsh chemicals sometimes. I think the more natural you can get, the better.

11. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I stopped dying my hair entirely a few months ago, and now I even trim it myself. I also try to use sulfate-free products, whenever possible. I've read a lot lately about people using baking soda and organic apple cider vinegar to wash and condition hair. It supposedly works like Wen hair products, but costs only a fraction. I think I will try this method once I use all the shampoo and conditioner, I've already stocked up on.

12. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I save by using shampoo and lots of conditioner everyday. My hair tends to dry up if I don't use conditioner. My hair looks more healthy with it. I think as long as you have healthy hair, you don't need a fancy hairstyle to be pretty. THe key is to have clean, healthy hair.

13. Kaila

KailaNew Member

Threads:
    There are some great home made conditioner recipes that you can find online! I find that the best hair conditioner is cold-pressed, extra virgin coconut oil. You should be able to get it from your local grocery store or health food shop. Leave it in your hair for 30 minutes, or even overnight! When you shampoo it out of your hair, you'll find your hair is stronger, softer, shinier, and in fantastic condition overall! There's lots of other recipes online that you can use, often using only ingredients you already have in your cupboard. Check them out and experiment to find the best one for your hair. Good luck!

14. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I do my own hair and have done so my whole life. I have plenty of girlfriends that spend $100 every other week to get their hair done or braids or a weave. Sometimes I can honestly say my $20 half wig looks better than their $200 weave. No one can tell the difference with my hair. I know how to make it look polished and tight.I don't see the sense in the waste of money when I can accomplish get results myself.

15. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've always hated weaves because they're so expensive, they require so much upkeep, and they usually end up looking fake anyway. Same with relaxers. Obviously, they don't look as fake, haha, but they're still way too much time and money. My decision to go natural was an economic one.

16. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I save money on hair care by creating my own hair products. Most of the items I use in my hair are household items. The only thing I purchase is a shampoo which cost $3 and last for 3-4 months and conditioner $2.50 this last approx. 1 month. I color my own hair and if I want to try a new hairstyle I watch how to do videos on YouTube. Before becoming natural, I would spend over $150 every 6-8 weeks on my hair. I would go to the salon every weekend to try out a different hairstyle. I make my own deep conditioning hair treatment using mayonnaise, honey, eggs, and sometimes avocados.

17. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    Can you offer up a recipe or a website? I tried using just baking soda and vinegar and I just couldn't get it to work with my hair. I would really like to find a more natural solution for my hair care regimen.

18. retnam

retnamMember

Threads:
    I use a lot of all natural 'kitchen' ingredients. I buy my store bought products 2-3 at a time and only when they are on sale. I use grape seed oil for instance and it's $3 for a 0.5 L. Aloe Vera juice is $7 for a gallon and there are a ton of ways to use it. I also store some things in the fridge so they last longer.

ETA: I use henna to color and it's only a few dollars at an Indian grocer.

19. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I use henna, too. Where I live now, I can get it for about 00.70usd per packet. Each packet can be used to dye my hair many times. There are many colors available, too. The natural color is a dark brown. I like using henna because there is no ammonia in it.

20. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    My mom cuts and dyes my hair for me. She does an awesome job and I couldn't be happier. She used to be a hairdresser though lol. A haircut and dye at the salon I used to go to was 75$, so this is a huge savings for me.