How Do You Save Money On Herbs?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Jul 1, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You could plant herbs in pots, gardens, etc — definitely great ways to save some money — but supposing you've bought more herbs than you'll use before they spoil, what's the best way to preserve them so they'll still be usable? Ensuring they retain their flavor, aroma, etc?

I've heard that dried herbs taste different?

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm no expert (I've recently started growing herbs in my garden), but surely you can dry them and put them in jars, just like the jars of herbs you already buy in the supermarket?

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can preserve them in several ways; freezing them, use them to make sauces or add them to make infused flavored oils. That way it retains the essence of the herbs as well.

Dried herbs are very useful and while they do differ in taste (only slightly) they are still cheaper to use. Basil is a great one or rocket (arugula) where you can use them to make pesto sauces that will keep well.

4. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I personally do grow my own herbs anyway, but supposing I'd picked too much, I'll generally leave it to dry or if I've really picked too much I'll freeze it. I've also included them in sauces I make and jar up as well sometimes for something a little different.

Depending on the herb and what you like and how much you have to use up, you can also chop them up and add them to plain crisps/potato chips for an added bit of flavour if you like that sort of thing.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Chop them up and freeze them in mini ice cube trays. Or just throw them in a plastic bag and in the freezer. My mother did this all the time with fresh parsley, and it worked out fine - didn't seem to affect the flavor at all. It may not look so great for using it as a garnish, but 99% of the time we are cooking with it, not garnishing stuff with it, so it didn't matter.

Basil in particular can be useful if you're congested, or have a stuffy nose. You can steep the leaves in boiled water to make a tea, and drink the whole cup as quickly as you can, and it will help clear up your sinuses/nose. The effects don't last as long as over the counter medicine, but it's a nice alternative if you don't want to be taking any meds in the first place.

You could also make them into a compound butter, and freeze that as well or simply keep it in the fridge. It's nice to have on hand when you are making stuff like roasted chicken, garlic bread, sauteed veggies, etc... Saves on your prep time too. It's also great over grilled steaks as condiment/garnish.

6. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes its true store bought dried herbs do taste different and in fact so different - that they don't even resemble the real thing - which is one of the main reasons why I've always grown my own.

Although you can preserve herbs - as has already been mentioned - either by freezing or by drying them - it may not be necessary to do either - particularly as there are many herbs that will happily grow indoors all year round - providing that they are given enough light.

However - as I always have an abundance of herbs and like to enjoy the taste of fresh herbs over the winter - I preserve mine in various ways and although my preference is to freeze them in ice cube trays topped up with water - mainly because - herbs frozen in this way are the next best thing to those freshly plucked from the plant - as not only do they retain their full flavor but their texture too - which makes them ideal once defrosted for using in salads, dressings, as pizza toppings or for adding to smoothies and desserts - I also mix them oils or make them into pesto or herb butters - which when frozen as cubes - are great for popping into sauces, soups, stews, casseroles or as ohiotom76 mentioned when making flavored breads or bruschetta etc

Drying herbs is something I also do - although I generally only do this - so that I can gift them to those that are unable to grow their own - which as home grown herbs when dried - do taste significantly different from the store bought ones - are always very much appreciated gifts and look particularly good too when put into inexpensive but attractive containers.

So yes - apart from the fact that herbs are extremely inexpensive and easy to grow - if you use a lot of herbs in cooking growing your own and preserving them is an excellent way of saving money and even more so if you manage to gift some too - either as cuttings, young plants or dried.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a small backyard garden and some planter boxes around the house plus an extension garden in the vacant lot beside our property. Our herbs are not that many but we have mint and basil plus spices like lemon grass, real lemon, ginger, etc. We plant not to save money but for the joy of seeing the plants and harvesting, of course. It gives us a great feeling to see the growth of the plants, be it herb, spices, vegetables or fruits.

8. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I find the best way to save money on herbs (similarly vegetables) is to grow them yourself. I have a windowsill herb garden. I use it all the time when I am cooking. I use to buy a small thing of herbs from the grocery store but would only use a few stalks. The rest I would keep in the fridge and they would eventually go bad. I was wasting so much. Now with an herb garden I use what I need when I need it and the rest doesn't go bad.

9. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I usually try to use fresh herbs, but sometimes this is not possible because it's hard to get them, or they might be spoiled before using them, as in example cilantro, which is hard to preserve.

While I was enthusiast to buying dried herbs at the stores, the price for a small packet or jar is quite expensive if compared with buying a handful of fresh ones.

So that whenever I get fresh herbs I try to dehydrate them exposing the to the sun, with the exception of cilantro, which loses all its flavor if doing such a thing, so it's better to put leaves of these into ice trays, feel with water and freeze. This way you can simple get a cilantro ice cube out every time you need fresh and savory cilantro.

Dry herbs lose aroma and taste changes slightly overtime, usually after several months have passed by.

There are both household and commercial dehydrators that can help a lot not only preserving herbs, but also vegetables and fruits.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:We have a little back yard in the back of our apt. We grow in little pots broadleaf plantain and aloe. I pick broadleaf plantain as it grows for teas. I found that the refrigerator is a natural dehydrator when you wrap fresh green onions and our broadleaf plantain. It becomes tea leaf like and we put the dried leaves into our green tea and drink it daily if possible. We found green onions that I love to sprinkle our saimin with lasts the same way too. Once you put the onions in hot broth it becomes soft again. Broad leaf plantain is good for the health and so is green tea.
    220px-Grote_weegbree_bloeiwijze_Plantago_major_subsp._major. Broadleaf plantain is commonly known as a weed, but it has medicinal properties. The seeds that stick up is picked and planted. Needs lots of water and does well in rainy areas. You'll see it pop up after rain.
    image from

and information about broadleaf plantain too.
    th?&id=OIP.M4874f24ad3d615319797765a3650eea2H0&w=300&h=250&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0. Saimin is a favorite at our home. We put slices of spam, green onions and sometimes other fixings.
    image from tastyhawaiiisland.com.:):D:p

11. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    In order to get the best results when drying herbs - its generally way better to use the old traditional and much preferred method of drying them inside - in an area that receives good light as well as good air circulation - rather than dry them in direct sunlight or in a dehydrator.

Simply because - herbs that are dried inside retain their texture, color and have much more flavor than those that have been dried outside or in a dehydrator - due to the fact that - fast drying herbs in a dehydrator or outside in sunlight - not only results in them going brittle - but more importantly - causes them to lose their color and the majority of their flavor.

In fact if wishing to dry herbs - you really can't go too far wrong - hanging your herbs in the kitchen, a storeroom, a garage or any other area that has good air circulation - so long as you remember not to make the bunches too big - as doing that can cause the herbs to go moldy.

Generally speaking - the majority of dried herbs are good - meaning they retain both their flavor and texture - for 2-3 years - providing that they are stored correctly and have been dried correctly.

12. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the advice and clarification @gata montes@gata montes, now I understand why my herbs lose some color, and this affects the slightly both flavor and texture because of sun exposure.

Gonna try now the way you suggest :)

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I just stick to my dried herbs, which I store in a cool, dark cupboard. I've also heard that they taste better fresh, as with most things. But I can't be bothered to grow my own or even buy those little pots they sell in supermarkets LOL