How Do You Save Money On Medicines?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Ray1 • Apr 18, 2017.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this is one item you don't have much choice but don't you think it's wise to avoid medicine to try to cure general sickness or pain?

I know it's not easy as you grow older you have to take certain medicines but the people who tend to stay away from prescription drugs unless it is absolutely must their rate of staying healthy is better. They save a lot of money on medicines only if they cut short on unnecessary medicines.

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    This is crucial. While the more chronic illnesses like diabetes mellitus and hypertension is increasing rapidly so are the cost of the medications needed to control them.

Those suffering from these diseases know how much cash the daily drug treatment adds up to.

While there are insurances to cover certain diseases and their treatment cost, it still imposes a burden.

Despite modern medicines, natural remedies and regular exercises has been proven to give a better control over some diseases leading to more healthier life in a cheaper way.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I am already 65 years old and I have a maintenance medicine for my hypertension. It is almost 2 years since I am using that. It is good that the cost is very minimal. I don't have to worry about it. However for some emergency purposes, I have to set aside money for that.

I am a retired government employee and I receive my monthly pension which is sent to me through my ATM account. Everytime I make a withdrawal I see to it that there is always some money remaining. In short, I never get all my pension money. I just withdraw enough for our family needs for the month.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Decentlady@Decentlady That's what was I actually meant. You cannot cut off your necessary medicines but taking them for every small things even if they are not needed is what reduces your capacity and resistance. I have seen people going to doctors for something very small which they could have gotten rid easily without medicine or home treatment.

#4Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some discount cards that I got for buying SwansonVitamins.com. Wherever I go and I notice a free prescription card like recently I went to my doctor's appointment and was Ra WebMD and they had a free prescription card, so I asked if I could have it. Here are other cards I got throughout time: (I don't know if they are still valid today, but you can check them out and get yours)

* National Prescription Savings Network 1-888-601-7255
    * RX Network Free 1-888-886-5822
    * Henry Schein Pharmacy Discount Card 1-888-277-3911
    * WebMDRx Savings Card - customer service ph# 1-800-898-1828

The last pharmacy discount card I got from WebMD magazine. Hope this helps. Good luck and you're welcome in advance.

6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe I wish we had such a thing in our area. I still don't quite understand how you get them or use them.

Are there for discounts on medicines? What kind of medicines do they cover for?

7. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Saving money on medicines it's hard because they are expensive. So there are two ways I see we can do this. One is prevention, meaning, nothing like taking preventive medicines in order to avoid being sick later. The second is asking around prices in drugstores, as some are cheaper than others.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Decentlady@Decentlady You would be surprised to note that when I last visited my GP here I was offered a free box of general use medicines and other utility items like bandages, antibiotic creams and liquids. I watched with surprise that they had a lot of other packs for would be mothers or ladies that delivered recently. That was a unique experience for me and I would like to mention here that I had to pay nothing for my visit to GP.

#8Apr 20, 2017
  9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Decentlady@Decentlady :oops:I'm sorry I don't know what is covered. I got my first discount card from a vitamin purchase from Swanson Vitamins online, swansonvitamins.com. Where my doctor's office is they have their own pharmacist, in the hospital, Kuakini Hospital. I got a discount card from them too, so when I'm in dire need for some meds, like when you got a cold and want relief fast I'll go there for medications and use my discount card. You know what I found out, when I like to get something I just research a little and you'll be surprised what the medical world has for your hometown. It just takes a bit of time, but when you find what you're looking for it is so worth it. Then you can see what the discount pharmaceutical card covers too. Good luck. Now I got Medicaid and it covers a lot!

#9Apr 20, 2017
  10. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    It's not a very easy activity because depending on the remedy the value can be very expensive (unfortunately... usually more than we can imagine). But I think a good solution is to have a good health insurance because this usually makes things easier and reduces many costs.

11. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    If you have some sort of disability or mental disorder, You can try to get discount by registering as a Person with disability. That can give you discounts on medicine and medical services. Getting a health insurance will also help you save some money.

If you are a senior citizen, A senior citizen ID will be a game changer as well.

12. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Medicines are expensive, and the worst part is that they are lethal, definitely bad for kidneys and liver. That's why we don't use medicines. Whenever we feel sick, we use natural remedies like eating raw garlic and drinking ginger tea. It won't only save you a lot of money but it can also save your life as it has no negative side effects :) And another way to save a lot from medicine is to prevent being sick, that's the best way you can save money :D

13. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Well you have a point, but if taking medicines is completely mandatory then you can just opt to buy the generic brands that are way cheaper, like more than 70% cheaper than the branded medicines. That way, you can save a lot of money. That's what I do since we have a pharmacy franchise over here that solely sells generic brands.

14. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here, there are many ways to save on medicine. First is the loyalty card of a particular pharmacy - you earn points for every purchase when you avail of that card for a minimal registration fee. Second is buying the generic medicine which is way cheaper, sometimes 50% cheaper than branded medicines. I have consulted several doctors on this issue and their opinion is unanimous that generic medicines are also effective like branded. Another way it to buy prescribed medicine in batches. For a 7-day prescription, I usually buy medicine good for 2 days only and then I buy again good for 2 days and 3 days thereafter. There are times that the doctor would change the prescription and if that happens then at least the wasted medication is not much. In the past, I experienced the doctor changing the prescription after 2 days of medication that the symptoms persisted. I have learned from that experience.

15. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly I rarely get any problem, so I am happy with my health condition so far. Though I get cold and tonsil many times. But I rarely take any medicines for that. First I try home remedies for all these and most of time they do work for me too.

So if things can be cure by home remedies for me then I choose that only. Yes if anything is server then better to go for doctors directly.

16. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I usually don't go to a doctor for small reasons. I search the google for home remedies or kitchen remedies and try them out. I go to the doctor or take any medicine only if it is very necessary and without the medicine I won't be cured. Otherwise, I try to treat myself with home remedies. For cough and cold I just let it be. They normally goes by itself in a few days.

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @anupamas2@anupamas2 Normally paracetamol solves many problems which we consider complicated like common cold. In some countries doctors do not prescribe any antibiotics because these in turn reduce immunity. The best course is to see if the disease is curable with home remedy or your past experience but if you must go to a doctor act according to their suggestion. Even self medication is not good for anyone.

#17Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  18. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    If I am not mistaken, our government covers the medical welfare. If we go to the government hospitals or clinics, I think the fee is very minimal or no fee at all. Some of us would go to private hospitals or clinics, and that cost a lot.

Nowadays, I am learning how to use home remedies as it is not only saving money, but better for our health. I also believe we have the natural healing power, hence if it's only minor issues, we do not take any medicines but just let it naturally cure.

19. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. I avoid medication if possible and only take something if I have to do so. The high cost is just another terrible side effect in my book (and there are already enough side effects with many of these "medicines").

If you have to take something, there isn't much choice. In that case, try asking your pharmacist about discount prescription drug programs. There might be some available, although I'm sure they vary by location.

Here, if we buy in bulk, so to speak, we get a better price. If you stock up for 3 months instead of opting for only a month's worth, you get a much better price. It's also more convenient when it's a medication that you need to take regularly, since you need fewer refills.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat You know in my country you get two type of medicines manufactured by the same manufacturers mostly multinationals one is called branded and the other one as generic. They use combinations in brands and sell them on very high rates in the name of formulation unlike in developed countries where combination of salts is banned. The other types are almost one fourth of the branded medicines the generic or with salt names. I know something about salt names of medicines so I demand for generic medicines and save lot of money on them.

#20Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2017