How Do You Save Money On Medicines?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Ray1 • Apr 18, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, we have generic options that are available here as well. The brand names often have ridiculous prices. You'd have to be rich to take them daily (or in some cases, to take them at all). I definitely agree with going for the generic when and if possible. In some cases, it is the same medicine or very comparable.

I always check with the pharmacist first. Ours is great. He is friendly, knowledgeable, and takes the time to answer questions for us. So, he will always tell me if there is a generic that is worth getting or if the named version is truly the best. I rely on him for making decisions about which medication to take.

2. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat Most people in our country do not know about the difference in between generic and branded or to be precise they don't even know that generic medicines are same and cheaper compared to branded ones. But they go to chemist shop and show the prescription and as the chemist gets almost 25% commission on sales he never tells that same salt is available for one third or fourth price.

#22Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  3. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes wonder if the doctors get commissions too, the way they push certain meds. There always seem to be some "designer" drug that they want to hand out like candy. With so many "off label" prescriptions being handed down, I think everyone needs to take great care to research side effects and other drug interactions, before agreeing to take anything.

I always ask if there is an alternative (change in diet, supplement, etc.) and if there is a generic option.

Well, it makes sense that the pharmacist who gets paid commissions isn't going to volunteer any info, since they would make less money that way. Still, if asked outright, they should tell the truth. They have an obligation. Commissions based pay kind of seems like a conflict of interests in this line of work, doesn't it?

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat I agree it's not the duty of chemist to tell his customers about generic version of same drugs available too but the doctors should rather prescribe the salt name in place of brands which then leaves the on customer to chose whether they want a branded medicine or generic one. You would be surprised to know that some of the biggest medicines manufacturers like Ranbaxy and Cadila produce both branded and generic medicines and there is almost 50-80% price difference in the name of duties and taxes.

#24Apr 29, 2017
  5. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I doubt if it's possible to save on medicine as that may amount to negotiating one's health and the consequences could be grievous. I buy the main medicines I need if I am down irrespective of the cost so long it is trusted to be genuine medicine and capable of making me get well. This is aspect of purchases were I do not have to bargain or try to save money by going for lesser drugs instead of the high profile and potent medicine.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @tonyb@tonyb I agree that you cannot compromise with your health by not going to doctor or buy necessary medicines but some people do go to doctors without any real need and as far the medicines are concerned again you do not have to compromise on them by buying inferior or substandard medicines but generic medicines are as good as branded minus the brand name. They contain same salt and same quantity as prescribed by your doctor and in most cases manufactured by the same manufacturers too.

#26May 1, 2017
  7. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @tonyb@tonyb You don't have to compromise your health. Many generics are the equivalent of brand name drugs. That's why I ask my pharmacist. He will say whether or not the generic is good. If it's just as good, why spend more if you don't have to? If it is not as good, then I agree, it's not worth it.

Also, some medicines are prohibitively expensive, so I don't blame people for seeking other alternatives.

Some also have multiple or terrible side effects and may do more harm than good. I always try to find a better way than taking meds. If there is no other choice, I'll take the medication after research and discussion to ensure that it is the best one for me. I can do that and save money too, so why not?

#27May 2, 2017
  8. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat If you are pharmacologist can assure you the generics are as good as the brands then it's okay to go for such especially if the brand looks arbitrarily expensive. Also, I quite agree with you on the aspect of side effects that could result from taking medicine. I have heard of wild cases of diseases like severe itching, cataracts manifesting as side effect from use of some drugs.

#28May 3, 2017
  9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @tonyb@tonyb if any side effect takes place due to any particular medicine then it will happen for sure whether you take branded or the generic version because both of these medicines contain the same salt in same quantity. The only difference in between these two is that generic medicines attract too less levies and taxes besides have no attractive packaging, advertising and marketing expenses besides getting certain subsidies from government.

10. Jaylen Gomez

Jaylen GomezNew Member

Threads:
    If you want to save money for medicine then you should take care of yourself first for you to be healthy and you dont need to worry about this. that's my opinion

11. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Here the expenses for medicines is increasing day by day and I don't take medicines as far as possible and try to cure any health ailment with natural foods and medicinal plants in the traditional way. There are certain medicines that we can't avoid but can avoid medicines for a simple cold, fever or any mild pains. :)

12. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I heard a great tip the other week that was that you save on meds at those big stores even without a membership because the law says they have to. I have not made the switch yet but I plan on it.

13. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    They best way to achieve this is to try to maintain a healthy lifestyle as much as possible because there may be instances where natural remedies may not be adequate. There have been testimonies of natural remedies even curing AIDS but I don't know that to be true. The formal drugs are very expensive and in some instances, you are taking medicine for a specific ailment and its side effects may be causing serious damage to you in another area. Therefore, trying to maintain a healthy may just allow you to avoid these problems.

14. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    When I am sick or someone in my family is sick, my first choice of treatment is home remedies or natural remedies. For minor ailments such as fever, cold, headaches, I don't use clinical drugs, instead I go for herbal treatment. When the condition does not improve for couple of days then only I visit doctor or use clinical medicines.

15. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    As the others have mentioned, medicines are the only things i would never advise anyone to try and save money or even the least consider it. There are a few cases in which you could compromise since the medical condition isn't serious like a headache or just a slight stomachache, but when it comes chronic diseases it's a very sensitive matter.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Decentlady@Decentlady I think you can save up to 25% if anyone is on regular medicines for diseases like blood pressure or diabetes. You should buy them from whole sellers in bulk (for 2-3 months at a time) who gladly provide them on whole sale price. Incidentally the retailer get 25% or more on print rate from whole sellers and they also give 5-10% discount to their regular customers.

#36May 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2017
  17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to take advantage of generic medications that do the same thing as the name brand medications but at a fraction of the cost. I think this is the way to take advantage of medications and use them to your benefit. Also, taking advantage of prescription cards can also be hepful.

18. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Many expensive brand of medicines actually have a generic equivalents and the generic equivalents are much more cheaper. Generic medicines kept my diabetic dad alive. The commercial versions of his medicines are very expensive.

19. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    These days there are plenty of online pharmacy sites. And they do offer the discounts, all you have to do is upload the prescription. And that is more than enough for giving the discount. I know there are some things that may not work out for some. But I am using this method for getting medicine and so far it's not that bad.