How do you save on baby wipes?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by jleadbet • Aug 30, 2012.

1. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have much trouble finding diaper deals, but does anyone know the best deals on wipes? I don't see as many wipes coupons as diapers. Do you just buy the club size boxes? I've seen reusable baby wipes along with cloth diapers but haven't given them a try.

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually save by buying the walmart brand you can get like 3 big packs for 3 bucks

3. eLiz21730

eLiz21730New Member

Threads:
    Use cloth! You can buy terry cloth by the yard at JoAnn's fairly inexpensively and then just zigzag the edges if you have access to a machine or someone who can help you. You can also cut up old receiving blankets or use flannel by the yard. That's what I did. I often ended up using toilet paper for the initial messy wipe and flushing, so I just used the cloth wipe with warm water as a washcloth to clean everything up neatly. We never used disposable wipes unless we went on vacation.

4. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I agree! At my baby shower, we were gifted several packs of Gerber baby washcloths, more than we would have ever needed. When I decided to start cloth diapering, I would just premoisten these washcloths and store in an open ziploc storage bag. Once they are dirty, you can keep them in a separate hamper or a small empty trash can. I know some people who store and wash them along with their whites and have had no issues.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    First of all, don't go for the smaller, cheaper wipes - it's a false economy, because you'll use two where one Johnson's wipe would do. I don't have any babies now, but I use wipes for cleansing and freshening up, and when we go camping. I just look out for 'buy one, get one free' deals and stock up. They keep for a couple of years if they're unopened and stored in a cool, dark cupboard.

6. eLiz21730

eLiz21730New Member

Threads:
    When I had full loads of cloth diapers, I would wash my wipes with my diapers. Now that my son is potty trained, I still use cloth wipes for the occasional accident. I have so few that I also end up throwing them in with my whites and I don't have a problem either!

7. eLiz21730

eLiz21730New Member

Threads:
    This is a great point! If cloth wipes aren't your cup of tea and you'd rather have disposable, definitely compare quality and price per wipe. If wipes are thinner but cheaper, you'll still spend the same because you'll need more!

8. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tips. I had bought a $1 pack of cheapies at the drug store. I think I might have used 3 for each changing, not worth it at all. I think I'll try cutting up the old receiving blankets. I have loads of those anyway. I wasn't concerned about washing them. I run enough dirty stuff through the machine as it is. ;)

9. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I didn't want reusable wipes either, but didn't want to pay a ton just for wipes. I buy mine at Wal-Mart for $1 per pack. When I first bought them (only about a year ago) it was great, they were similar to the other brands and in one store I went to they were even 75 cents each. Now they make them a little thinner. I still buy them because they work for us.

10. anniep1978

anniep1978New Member

Threads:
    I buy Pampers brand from Amazon Mom, they are very nice quality. If you use their subscribe and save you can get 7 packages for around $12. This is really the best deal I have found on name brand wet wipes.

11. cmarten

cmartenMember

Threads:
    I think baby wipes are practically a scam. Do we clean ourselves with quilted pads soaked in water, lotion and often alcohol? No. Baby's bottoms don't need all that either, nor do we need a sculpted pink or blue plastic box to carry them around in.

Wipe the excess waste off with the clean part of the diaper, use toilet paper or tissue if you choose. To clean the area well afterwards, I always used soft paper towels with water and a dot of baby body wash... the same soap I'd use to give them a bath. Stick some folded neatly in a ziplock bag and they're just as portable as a box of expensive wipes, and they work just as well too. And there are no chemicals and no alcohol that can contribute to uncomfortable reactions on sensitive skin.