How Do You Save On Food Expenses?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by remnant • May 11, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I try to save on food expenses by attempting to cut out on junk food though this is not easy. Cooking seems to be a viable option since it yields more food for the same amount of money one would spend in a restaurant. I am also considering buying food items in bigger quantities since frequent shopping in smaller quantities is not economical. How do you cut down on your food expenses?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I simply just cut down on soda as much as possible. I don't know how to cook, so unless I learn how to I will be stuck on buying food, so I think I will always just opt for the cheapest kind.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The first thing that comes to my mind is the promo of meat in the supermarket. There is always the discounted items like ground beef and ground pork, brisket cuts and not to forget the frozen meat that is sometimes half the price (when bought after 7pm). Another good promo is the marinated barbecue (pork and chicken) that is almost 20% cheaper.

For the leftover, particularly pork, we recycle it by using in omelet or hash.

4. TungstenCube

TungstenCubeNew Member

Threads:
    Oatmeal is one of the secret weapons to saving money on food. If you can buy the old fashioned oats in bulk, you can save an immense amount of money over time. I did some math, and it comes down to seven cents for a bowl of oatmeal, before you put anything else in. I typically add a little bit of peanut butter and honey to make it taste better, but it still fills me up for under 50 cents per bowl total.

5. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Goodness, I am poor, so I know lots of ways to save money on food! I always take advantage of the sales by getting all the grocery ads and stocking up on the weekly door buster item. I use coupons. I also have started doing one or two meatless meals a week. There really are a ton of great websites out there that have penny-pinching recipe ideas. I love how some of them even tell you how much each recipe should cost per serving or tell you which ingredients may be on sale at certain grocers in your particular area.

6. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I make sure that I make the most of my freezer! There are regularly discounted meat options at my local supermarket, so in many cases it really makes little sense in paying the full price for it. Also, I'm actually keen to cook more veggie options. That's a win-win - the meals tend to be cheaper than meat-based ones, but also they're healthier.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have weekly sales for our local supermarkets and Safeway, CVS, Walgreens, so buying sale items saves so much money. Opening online accounts has perks of in-store digital coupons or specials just found on your free online account made with your free store cards. Going to Ross Dept. Stores on Senior Tuesday's saves lots money too. A local supermarket Foodland has Senior Thursday's Discount to save money too. Aside of coupons to clip from Sunday ads the weekly ads stretches your budget along with those store discounts that I love will help you save money and help you get what you want!

8. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I make use of coupons and loyalty schemes to get the most out of the groceries I buy. I also visit the shops later at night in order to get cheaper vegetables and fruit. I got a huge bag of bananas (around 30 of them!) for £0.10 a few weeks back. I'll also get cashback on whatever I can. There's an app here that you can use to get entirely free products to try so I like to make the most of those as well! You pay full price for the product, upload your receipt and get the money back. I also grow my own fruit and veg, so that saves me money too.