How do you select your perfume

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by maddie • Jan 18, 2013.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I love sweet floral notes or rich spicy notes.. both suit me. However, I expect my perfume to last long.. the new trend of alcohol free perfumes seem to make the perfume short lived they don't smell good for more than a couple of hours. How do you choose yours?

2. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I personally love to collect perfume samples of brands I adore and from there I choose in a more orderly fashion haha. I feel that I like to experiment with scents and see how they smell on me after a few hours to see how good the undertones of the scent are.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use perfume per se: I have a bottle of lavender oil and a bottle of patchouli oil that I use in all of my homemade hair and skin products. I switch them up (or mix them together) depending on whether I feel more girly or hippie from day to day. On occasion, I've been known to dab a bit of oil directly onto my pressure points where perfume would go.

4. emmy2points

emmy2pointsActive Member

Threads:
    For perfume scents, I tend to choose the ones that are more light and fruity such as those with a citrus base maybe mixed with some floral scents, as well. It also depends on the season as I go for scents like vanilla in the winter time and milder-smelling perfumes in the warmer months. I definitely don't pick out the ones that are too strong or heavy, cause me a headache, or irritate my significant other since he's a little more sensitive to perfumes.

5. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I like to try the samples in the stores or in the magazines I subscribe to. Sometimes I just try scents at random if I happen to get stopped by one of the counter sales people. The most recent scent I discovered was at a beauty counter while paying for a gift for a friend. While the lady rang up my purchase I tried the sample while waiting. My new favorite scent is Hypnose by Lancome. I like scents that are not overbearing and last long and work well with my body chemistry.

6. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I like the mild ones. I'm allergic to strong perfumes and those that smells too floral! I like it light and the type that makes you smell like you just got out of the shower. Just refreshing really.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I no longer use perfume. I use scented body lotion and body butters. I like something with a delicate aroma because so many people are sensitive to strong smells.

8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to use mild ones with light floral tones or just stick with body butters. I have sensative skin and have to be careful about what products I use, and I also notice a lot of people are quite sensative to strong perfumes and it's generally unnecessary. I want to smell nice all day, not like I've bathed in perfume.

9. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know much about perfumes, just choosing them by scents. For some new brand i haven't heard, i will read its description or ask about my friends.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm frugal and don't spend a lot on perfume, I buy those cheap Bodycology body sprays.
    I choose them based on my favorite foods. So I have several bottles of the vanilla cupcake spray, one of the cucumber melon, one of the coconut and a couple of mango ones. I figure I can't go wrong by smelling like foods I like. Since it's cheap, I make the scent last a little longer by using the matching lotion.

I hope they'll eventually make a coffee scented one, because coffee smells like heaven to me.

11. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    When I'm buying aftershave for me I will normally pick one that I have smelt on someone before, I know that sounds weird. :)

When I buy perfume for my fiance I normally go with "the more expensive the better it is" approach.

12. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure if I would like to smell like food. Though I always choose vanilla and cardamon when it comes to buying a car perfume. However, I do like the idea of using matching lotions. I still have a problem choosing perfumes.. as they smell good when I test them but after an hour or so they don't smell as good. Perfumes should smell good when body chemistry comes into the picture. I have to stick to a few I like and when they become unavailable I am unsure of what to buy.

13. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I would never want to smell like food, Maddie! The closest I get to that is smelling like chocolate after applying coco butter lotion. You should try using essential oils. They are a lot longer lasting than perfumes; personally I like sandalwood.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really buy perfumes anymore, especially the expensive ones because I feel like I'm wasting my money. I'd rather spend my money on something that will last. Right now the perfumes that I have were all given to me, I currently have 3 bottles as of the moment but they are not really designer brands.

15. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Well I like patchouli and vetiver apart from sandal wood.. Actually I think I would try blending the oils myself to suit my taste..Does the fragrance last long? I use these oils for my massages, but never as substitute for perfume. I should try them.. thanks for the idea.

16. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Actually I don't buy right on the first trip to the store. I go with the mentality of seeing how long a perfume lasts before I purchase is. I decide if Im going to buy an evening perfume or a daily wear. If its evening I go for deep earthy smells - could be woody, leathery, musky but has to smell very sexy and last a long time. If its a daily wear I go for light scents, a bit floral or spicy. Can't do sweet ones that smell fruity or like candy, they give me a headache. I narrow down my selections at the store to 2 or 3 and sample on different areas of my body apart from eachother so that they dont blend. The next day I decide which one lasted longer and which smell I liked best. Sometimes the smell transitions into something else and it's not too pleasant. It sounds a bit troublesome but I am very careful with my perfume. It's what you will be smelling like all day - gotta make sure you are happy with it

17. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    I don't really have a specific scent because I get tired of wearing the same thing for too long. If I'm in the market for a new perfume, I'll just head on over to Macys and smell what looks interesting. xD I have a few Victoria's Secret scents and they don't last as long as other higher end brands like Juicy Couture, but the bottle lasts me a long time.