How do you shop for books?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by kingusama92 • May 26, 2012.

1. bridawn

bridawnNew Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I just wander around the book store until something catches my eye. But usually, you will see me with my face down into my iPhone, starring at the Goodreads app. I love this app! You can look up top books and see the ratings of all of them. I will usually go to the bestsellers area of the book store, and start typing in the different books and seeing the ratings on them. Or, if a book does jump out at me, I can quickly search it and see if it's worth the money. I've spent hours in the stores, sifting through all the books to find a good match. It is actually quite rare for me to go in there with one book in mind!

2. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I am one who still loves walking into bookstores at browsing at my leisure. Before I make my pick, I'll typically look for authors who's books I have read before and then look at the covers and the synopsis at the back. If it sounds interesting, I'll get it. If it is an author that I have never heard of before, I'll usually pay more attention to the style of writing and content. Among all that, of course I'll also look at the prices of the books because sometimes a same book by different publishers would cost different prices. If the book I want is really too expensive, I'll then note the title down and search for a bargain online!

3. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    First, I always check out the books by my favorite authors. Somehow, I am already assured that the storyline is great. I also check out bestsellers' list.

Sometimes, books that are very exciting may not make it to the bestsellers' list. The first thing that catches my attention is the title. If I am interested in the title, I usually check out the summary of the book. Of course, the price is also another essential factor.

4. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    What I do before I go to the book store is that I search on the internet first. I try to find a synopsis of the book on the internet so that when I go to the book store I already know what book to buy. This saves me a lot of time.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only time I physically buy books in person offline is at Goodwill because the books are so cheap that I'm not taking much of a risk by buying something by an unfamiliar author.

I mostly go to actually bookstores to drink coffee and buy foreign art and fashion magazines.
    I buy the rest of my books on Amazon at the lowest price I can find.

6. catevanne

catevanneMember

Threads:
    When I go to the bookstore to get a book, I do look at the cover, the title, the author. I usually read the author bio, and what the book is about. I read the first page or maybe a little less and then decide if the book has hooked me. If it has and all else appeals to me, I buy it.

7. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    I own more audiobooks than bound books, but I absolutely love spending a couple of hours at my local bookstore from time to time. I studied philosophy and religion in college, and I read LOTS of books. I love the tactile aspect of visiting the bookstore - picking up a book, feeling it in my hands, listening to the slight cracking sound it makes when I open it up - for me it's as relaxing an experience as an hour-long massage.

8. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    I always read reviews and check out bestsellers list. The author also counts. If I have already read other works by the same author, there is a higher probability that I will patronize his new works.

9. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I rarely do, so when I shop for books, I go downtown to the "popular" libraries and try to find the book I'm looking for.

10. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I read reviews first and then I go to the bookstore and spend hours there. I look at the front and back cover, compare prices and then I choose a book I want to buy. Some people may think it's very tiring and time consuming but I love spending my time at bookstores. As many of you mentioned it's therapeutic and soothing.

11. jdp1986

jdp1986New Member

Threads:
    When I go book shopping I clear my day, because I know I'm going to get lost in the book store. I select a book to purchase by reading the synopsis on the back, if the synopsis is intriguing then I actual read a small portion of the book to ensure that I enjoy the author's writing style. When selecting a book once I am sure that the book interests me and the writing style is enjoyable I run to the counter to pay for it ok I do not really run, but I want to, until I see another book that I think I want to buy. I love books and truly do get lost in the book store every time I go.