How do you take care of your furniture?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by 003 • Jan 1, 2015.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's really hard to take a close inspection and care of furniture regularly especially if you are really busy like that you don't have time to even use them. But I think that it's still important that we see to it that they are well-maintained though we may not have that plenty of time to use them always, because time will always come that they will have to perform their purpose and when it happens that they have already worn out, the problem is sure to hit out flat in the face.

2. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    Our furniture is pretty low maintenance we have fabric couches and chairs so I vacuum them out once a week and I will use a portable steam cleaner on them once every few months to keep them smelling great.

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Yea, furniture maintenance is more about just not letting it snow-ball out of control with crumbs left over from food and things of that nature. We don't spend a lot of time in our family room at my house, so the furniture stays relatively clean for long periods of time. Still, about every month or so, I'll vacuum out the cushions and just clean everything out.

For some nicer furniture, you might look to get some wood cleaner to clean it properly without ruining it. Makes it a more clean and it'll last longer with that polish on it.

#3Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  4. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I don't take very good care of my furniture at this time in my life. It's from IKEA and it's understood between my partner and I that this is not intended as our forever furniture. We are slowly upgrading certain pieces and we take good care of those pieces, but in terms of the IKEA stuff, other than making sure it's still standing we don't do much. If company is coming over, we will lean and do everything that entails, but in terms of special maintenance beyond that, there is none.

5. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I take rather good care of them, though I find vacuuming them to be quite a hassle. It's really difficult to get into the nooks and crannies of a sofa to get all the dust out, hence why most of the furniture I own tend to have a lot of dust in the gaps. Otherwise, they seem in pretty good condition. One nice tip I've learned for masking scratches on wooden portions of the furniture is to rub a walnut on the scratch.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mother has a weird way of cleaning furniture which I've warmed up to and tried adopting. All our sofas are covered with leather. We've already had everything upholstered. There were innumerable gnashes on the the arms and sitting area due to recklessness and constant use. My mom fills a rug if not a large cotton swab with alcohol to wipe the sofa clean. It does work. We try to have the sofa set upholstered every three years unless it's still in great condition.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I only ever buy cheap furniture so I'm not too worried about them so I tend to just let them be. However I do still care about the slightly higher priced items like couches and even though I know I couldn't protect it all that much short of covering it with plastic all the time, I just choose to have it reupholstered from time to time because it's still much less expensive to do it that way rather than buying a completely new set.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I take care of my furniture by cleaning them on a regular basis. I believe that it can be really sad if a piece of furniture gets destroyed. I think it is best to keep them very clean and neat all the time. I also furnish them on a regular basis.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just vacuum clean my furniture once a week and apply protective substances on them to preserve the wood or fabric. Once in a while, I have them steam cleaned by a professional, but that only happens every half a year or so. I admit, that I am quite negligent when it comes to my garden furniture. There is an area in my backyard where a few old wooden chairs and a table are happily rotting away. I also don't take the best of care of my plastic furniture. It's stained but still functioning well.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just vacuum my old couch and launder the slipcover that I have over it. My red coffee tables are from IKEA, so if they get a scratch, I just put a bit of red nail polish on the scratch to hide it. I don't really have any valuable furniture so I just wipe it off with all purpose cleaner.