How Do You Use Your Leftovers?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by abonnen • Sep 6, 2016.

1. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I don't like wasting food, so usually I heat up the leftovers next day and finish them. Or I make an entirely new dish out of the leftovers such as cutlets from leftover vegetables etc. Sometimes, no one is in the mood to eat the same food again, so I give it away to the help who comes to collect trash in our apartment. But I would never ever throw it in the dust bin. I think its a criminal waste of food.

2. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I may remake them into another meal if I see they are much. I tend to look at the economic side if I dump all that. Many times my left over aren't much and what I always do is to empty them into the compost.

3. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I am a writer and I know there is scarcity of food in the world. I am also a farmer and I know how hard it is to grow food. Therefore, I never waste my food. I put my food in the fridge, and the next day I heat it up and eat it. When I have time and mood, I create new dish from leftover. For example, if my leftover food is steamed rice, I make fried rice.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate wasting food not even a tablespoon of rice. As much as possible, we eat the leftover on the next meal. That means excess dinner will be the lunch on the next. And if it's not enough then we will cook something just to augment. But there are times that we neglect leftover food that stays for 2 days in the fridge. I have no choice but to throw it away because it is not a good practice to store food in the fridge longer than 2 days. But with recycling cooked food, I don't think I have the aptitude for that except for leftover rice which we can serve as fried rice.

5. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I always eat the leftovers as it was. I usually don't have separate foods because they are mostly just one big pot of chicken stew or a mix of rice and some sort of meat. Sometimes I just put it in bread and eat it like a sandwich.

6. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon has a whole list of books about what to do with your leftovers. Many cookbooks offer tips for ways to use up food. If you like learning about this kind of stuff, you can probably find some of these books on sale.

Learning to use leftovers well is a great way to save money by avoiding food waste. So much food is wasted all the time.

Better preparation for grocery shopping and meal planning can also help. If you know you are going to have leftovers, plan for what you will do with them in advance. You can also freeze them for later use. Many foods can easily be made into other dishes.

Meat pies, quiche, soup, stew, and casseroles work well for using up bits of meat, veggies, rice, and more.

7. fuzyon

fuzyonNew Member

Threads:
    I never throw leftovers out, I either give them to my dogs or re-use them in another day. Mostly my meals consist of chicken, frozen vegetables, corn, pasta and a "cheat" meal of steak once in a while. Pretty much everything here is good even if left over night.
    The chicken doesn't lose its taste, frozen vegetables have no problem getting re-fried again and corn is pretty much good to go whenever I want. Pasta is the only thing that is not as good the second day, but it's still decent.

8. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    Usually we don’t have any leftovers. We try to prepare the food only that much which we can consume. If the leftovers are something that we like and the quantity is substantial then we keep it in the fridge and have it the next day. If the quantity is very less, then we give it off to our maid or throw it off. We don’t usually keep it for long. If we are not able to finish it the next day also, then we give it away to someone.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My wife does most of the cooking and she is an expert at that but she sees to it that she does cook which is enough for two of us. In case something is left she use it with her innovative cooking ideas the next morning but strictly disposes off anything older than 12 hours. Our weather conditions do not permit us to eat leftover even if kept in refrigerator.

10. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I also use them to make more dishes out of them. If I have some left over meat or chicken I usually make tacos or quesadillas with them. If I have left over rice I like to make fried rice or add ground beef to it. There are so many ways to use left overs that can actually help learn new recipes.

11. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    In our household a lot depends on how much is left, as when we are cooking we are usually very careful and only make what we intend to eat so there very rarely is any leftovers anyway. On the odd time there is then I will usually take it to work the next day and have it for my lunch, or they get frozen for one of us to eat at a later date during the week.

I know quite a few people that will use leftovers in this way, and when I'm at work the next day, there are a number of people that do the same and they will warm up leftovers that they have had from yesterdays dinner because I think that more and more people these days are finally becoming more aware of saving money than what they used to be.

12. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I re-eat my leftover as the next meal or even the next day. Sometimes even for 3 days if it was tasty and preservable. I don't believe in throwing away food. If I know it won't be consumed I would giveaway to my maids or birds or animals.

13. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    We usually keep left overs in a cool dry place and keep them covered to protect them from contamination by flies. In most cases, leftovers accrue from supper. All one has to do is to heat them in the morning in order to consume them. The other use of leftovers is giving them to dogs or farm animals like chicken. In case of spoilage or contamination, they are put into the backyard heap to make compost.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Recently a charity organisation has opened food collection centers in different localities that collect and take leftover to their main center at a fixed time. The main center then sends the food to different orphanages and distribute it among the homeless.

15. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    How about that leftover Halloween candy? My kids are grown, so it's not a thing for me any more. I do remember having more candy than we could eat back when I was a kid though. So, what do you do with it?

I thought

had some nice ideas. They talk about donating it too, which I didn't even know was acceptable. I like the idea though, since I'm sure children in need don't get very many treats. So, that's a nice thing to do with it.

They also talk about buying some candy molds at the craft store and then melting the chocolate candies to use in the molds. I've seen some options that are quite affordable too. You can do this just for fun or to make some gifts.

16. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I think it depends on the leftovers. Ours generally, if it's a dish that was not consumed the previous day and still good, we put it in he fridge and eat it the next day. But if it's something that easily gets spoiled, we just throw it in the bin.

17. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    This is a good question. I never waste food. Nowadays, people are starving for food. Recently, on the internet, I saw a homeless man eating dog food to fill out his stomach. My mom usually cooks the necessary amount of food for the day. At times, it becomes excess. We do not throw the excess food. Instead, we give it to our security guard who works hard day and night to make ends meet.

In the parties, when we have leftover food, I usually call up a charity's helpline number so they can come and collect the leftover food and feed it to the orphans and the homeless. I feel happy that I am able to contribute to the society by doing so.

18. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I think we watched the same video, I watched it 3 days ago. there was this man who was eating dog food which was really heart breaking. I agree that a lot of people in all parts of the world are starving, so wasting food is not a good idea. Kudos to you for helping others and at the same time conserving food instead of it being wasted.

19. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I would like to say wisely, but I am not sure that this is always the case. It probably depends on what we are talking about, because things like pizza do not last long, but sometimes I have a hard time getting rid of potatoes.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    As I have mentioned earlier also that we cook only what we need for the day or for the specific time for dinner or lunch but even if a small amount is left from consumption we don't mind finishing it as and when we eat the next time. But we never cook extra intentionally or believe in eating leftovers. However, as we are dead against any kind of wastage we either give it to the food bank of our society for orphanage or if the quantity is small we finish it ourselves.