How do your shop for gifts for big events?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by bryce12 • Jul 13, 2012.

1. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    Hey guys,

How do you shop for gifts for big events like Valentine's Day, Christmas, mother's day etc? Do you take advantage of numerous deals available online or do you shop from your favorite online stores and malls? Personally I prefer taking advantage of special deals even if they are not from my favorite store. What about you?

Bryce

2. QuatreHiead

QuatreHieadMember

Threads:
    I tend to do like yourself and take advantage of deals at favorite stores. However, I am also an advocate of doing your research and preparation. Especially for the holidays that come around every year, year after year. It is typically far more efficient to get a good deal if you keep your eyes and ears pealed for what to get year round. For example, if I know a friend has been talking about getting a recorder for some time I will get my stuff together to get one during the back-to-school season instead of wait until before Christmas. Often times you will get hints and ideas from people so this isn't nearly as difficult as you would think.

Even easier than waiting for them to really want something and hold out, if they get something new accessorizing a little for them works out nicely too! So high sales times of year I find specials on things and stock up for future holidays. It also saves the stress of last minute frantic shopping too.

This isn't foul proof however because you can run into the impatient family or friend who get the gift before you can present it, although sometimes this can be predictable in their personality. The other major drawback is you wait around looking for the best price and sale or idea and still end up last minute purchasing because nothing was quite perfect enough to give mom.

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I think I am pretty much brainwashed like the rest of society for when these dates are...so I am more or less prepared every year. I always look for deals, that habit started a couple of years ago when I needed to start looking closer at the bottom line. Sometimes I get stuff online, but I do enjoy hunting down a good bargain - it has become a hobby of sorts! Lol.

I do most of my shopping on a week day when others are at work, so shopping is much more relaxed and fun...I find that one gets good deals on certain days of the week too...so we go on those days.:eek:

4. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    When buying gifts for big events, I would buy it earlier so that I could pick the best one. The chances of getting the best item is when little people are shopping. When you wait for sales then the chances of getting the best item would lower down because you have so much competitor. I don;t mind spending more since gifts should be the best that you can give and not the cheapest that you can get from sales. :D

5. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I don't have anyone really to shop for so I'm lucky I don't have to do this. For my lady, I usually just buy her clothing or accessories. This Christmas, I will be shopping at Lands' End for her gifts. If I had a big family, I'd do my shopping at Walmart and Dollarama.

6. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    It's the second marriage for my husband and I, so we have a large extended family to buy for. I keep a present box running all year round for birthdays and Christmas, and if I see anything suitable, I buy it when I see it. If I know who's going to get it, I'll wrap it and label it to cut down on the work nearer the time. I never have a last-minute present buying frenzy, and I get good prices on everything.

7. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    I go online shopping during the holidays.

You don't have to deal with the lines or other annoying consumers. Honestly, I can't think of a better way to do it. This obviously requires you to be prepared and order a week or two in advance, but its much more convenient than the last minute rush hour shopping most individuals succumb to. Give it a try!

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like to shop online about a few weeks to a month before the holiday or big event to get the best deals. I like to allow myself a lot of time to search for deals. I look for online coupons, I search for gift cards that are being sold for a reduced rate. I even sign up for store newsletters because sometimes you get a one day 10% off coupon or free shipping deal for signing up to newsletters.

9. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I buy some and I make some gifts for the different holidays. I don't like to shop much so what I do I make a lot of good luck plants and put them in unique pots and others seem to just love them and I am more than happy to make them for whomever when I here them mention what they like and I just keep a mental note of it and then I make it for them.

10. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I wait for the online shots discounts and then unleash the credit card and spend a lot on gifts for me (lol, I'm that greedy) and for relatives. Sometimes stores have up to 50% off and, if you're lucky enough, you can take advantage of that and save a LOT. That really can't happen in a physical store. At least in online shops you don't get pushed or thrown onto the ground like during Black Friday, hahaha.

11. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    After a nasty black Friday mishap, I avoid stores durning sales. I like to browse the Internet and take my time making purchases. Anymore now, you can get free shipping durning holidays or big sales, which is a added plus. Yes, there might be a delay with returns, but I think it's worth the risk.

12. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Holidays are a big deal for our family, and despite not having a huge budget, we do try to do well with gifting....so I focus yearround for things like Christmas, anniversary and birthdays. I definitely take advantage of online deals and local specials, and I price check quite a bit.

13. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I love deals online and offline, I try to save as much as possible and give good gifts so they will appreciate what I give them. But saving money is always a big deal with me, so whenever I find a deal I willl buy it.