How does one overcome movies addiction?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Jatelo2 • Aug 17, 2012.

1. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Addiction is a state where you can't do without a specific thing or substance. In most cases people do not realize that they can get addicted to movies as I am currently.I can't skip a day without watching a movie series or else I will fill very bored and sickly. What can I do to help this situation since I even abscond important duties and obligations simply to watch a movie! Your opinion is welcome...

2. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    I watch a movie every night. It has gotten to the point where I plan my schedule around it. Even if there's nothing specific that I want to watch I still have to watch something. I'm not saying I'm addicted, but I seriously do have an unhealthy obsession with movies. Luckily though, I'm getting better. Some days I can go without watching a movie if it's been an enjoyable day already. I would just try doing something else you like, going out with friends or treating yourself to an activity you like. Maybe that will help you forget all about watching a movie for that night, like it does for me.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think writer811 is on the right track, if you have enough things to do and fill up you time you will not have time to watch a movie or you will fall asleep before it is over. After a few days of not watching a movie you should be ok and no longer addicted.

4. neovlad

neovladMember

Threads:
    Just play Video Games and get addicted to them then you will not feel addicted to movies I had the same problem as you but now I am addicted to video games.

5. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I also watch movies from time to time but not everyday, infact I even read reviews of movies before I watch it. so simply chose the movie you will be watching, if you read the reviews and its worth to see then watch it. Don't just watch all movies including those that are poorly produced, it should be a habbit taht don't consume your valuable time.

6. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    I stopped watching movies these past few weeks. I'm totally just chilling without them. I have other things to do, so I can't keep watching. I'd recommend getting away from the TV and/or computer AND leave your cell phone and tablet at home! Take a walk or something or focus on...games. ;)

7. Terri

TerriMember

Threads:
    I would say that the best way to cure movie addiction is to watch a bunch of really crappy movies... Make them crappy movies AND in subtitles... After a good month of watching a bunch of bad movies, you'd find other things to get into. Then, after a month, when you did watch a good movie, you'd been super excited and entertained, but you'd also have developed other habits and do other things.

8. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    The problem comes with the new TV Series like Suits or older one like 24. I can even plan to watch an episode from the DVD only to find myself watching all 14 episode running for 43 Mins each. Anyway I'll try to go out with friends...I hope it works oh!

9. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    And how does one force himself to watch 'crappy' movies when actually he has a a collection of his favorites? Do you just go out of your mind and waste money on boring movies? I just don't know how this can work...Anyway Thanks for this advice.

10. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I do that too! It's become a "ritual" to watch a movie every night for me too. It's not an addiction at all though, it just takes 2 hours of your time and it can be really enjoyable. I do a lot of things during the day too and watching a movie is forgetting about all that and just like reading a good book (as long as the movie is good).

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that you can try to curb your movie addiction by going out more often. You should avoid being stuck at home where watching movies is very accessible. Try going out with friends and meet new people. Also try getting a new pet, because attending to a pet and it's needs can definitely divert your mind from wanting to watch movies.

12. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    This is bad advice, in my opinion. The root of the problem is why do you sit at home to watch movies? Is it because you are sad or lonely? You may want to go out and meet new people, hang out with friends, or pick up a hobby that occupies your time. Do you watch movies because you really love film? Then, I don't know if it's an "addiction," in terms of it being bad. Would you tell a fashion designer that flipping through fashion magazines is an addiction? No way, it's a passion and something that really makes them love what they do. If you think that you have a problem with watching movies, then you really need to sit down and figure out the root of the problem.

13. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    What's wrong with being addicted to movie watching? It's one of the few positive obsessions there is. That said, one a day is not an addiction. You are procrastinating and escaping into movies because there is something you don't want to deal with. Figure out what that is, deal with it, and you'll more than likely find in a short time you'll be more productive you will no longer have so much time for movie watching.

14. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    LOL! Trust me, my friend, watching movies is not an addiction. I wish I could watch a film everyday, but time does not permit it. On Saturdays, religiously, we'll watch three pictures after dinner. We don't do anything else on Saturdays but watch movies. It's not an addiction. Consider watching movies as having a blind mistress! The motion talking picture is one of the greatest inventions man has ever made.

15. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be addicted to watching movies every evening when I was younger but now it seems I'm more picky and I carefully select the films I would love to watch. I think watching crappy movies is a waste of time.

16. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I only watch about 2 movies a year so this has never been an issue for me. Sometimes though I will chain watch an entire season of a particular TV show, amount to the same as a 3 hour movie. Maybe you could alternate between a movie, a TV show and some other activity, that way you should be more in control of your schedule.

17. Movieaddict

MovieaddictNew Member

Threads:
    Well,
    I see several posts here, but I don't think anyone realizes that movies can become a problem. A true addiction indeed.
    How does one know about it? Well, you may watch 20+ h in a single non- stop shot. You don'y care about your duties and obbligations, you can't stop watching, life seems dull without movies, after watching you ask yourself - why the heck am I doing this? And yet, new day comes, and you get into watching again.

For those ho have not been there, it is hard to understand.

But movie addiction can be a true addiction, a problem, that needs treatment. As bad as videogames, as bad as alcohol, as bad as drugs. Bcause it can ruin your life, if not cured.

Watch the movie "Flight". There is a moment, close to the end, where the hero makes a decision to put the little bottle of alcohol away. But a second later comes back and drinks it. And goes on to a drinking spree again. A moment before a hearing. He ends up in jail.

There is nothing "positive" in movie addiction, as it sucks up your life, consumes your time, and you end up doing only one thing - sitting in front of a screen, and enjoying the false reality of the movie world, and not your own life.
    Drugs consume your body in addition, but whats the difference? Your life is wasted anyway. Drugs destroy you faster and more severe. Think of movies as a kind of "cigarettes" that shorten your life for 2h evry time you watch. The more you watch, the more you miss. And the time and opportunities you have lost, will NEVER come back.

What do you say movie addiction defenders?

18. Movieaddict

MovieaddictNew Member

Threads:
    Andrew,
    You are not a movie addict. Period.
    Because your other obligations are more important than movies.
    For an addict, like me, ther can be times that you don't care about other duties and obligations. You just watch a movie. That's it. It sounds crazy, but that's how an ADDICTION works. You make the wrong choices, you find arguments to talk yourself into it, you figure out ways how to get around responsibilities etc to watch movies.

But be careful about the saturday nights. Make sure they dont grow into sunday nights, lunch brakes, monday and tuesday evenings, vacation time, airport time, airplane time etc. etc. The addiction can creep on slowly and unnoticeably.

19. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    You have to realize what it is that pulls you to movie watching. Is it boredom or escape from concerns or what? If you can find out what that is, then you have a better chance of working out how to get pass this step in your life. It would also help if you could find a nice support system of some sort and something to take you're mind elsewhere -volunteering, workshops, alcohol, whatever else.

20. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like I fit in this boat as well because in my free time I can watch up to five movies in one day and I won't get tired of it. I never felt or told myself that I have to stop this "addiction" because I can easily stop watching movies if I have errands to run or have other more important priorities.
    If you actually skip other more important things in order to watch a tv show or a film then I might be worried.