How Far Would You Go To Save Your Pet?

Discussion in Pets started by Denis Hard • Oct 17, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've said it once and will say it again, "I HATE REPTILES." But there are pet owners who love such pets and would go to great lengths to ensure that there pets are kept alive no matter what.

Sounds pretty extreme to me.

Would any of you run back into a burning house to save a rodent or reptile?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I will, after all, it is my pet, so I value it and it's dear to me. I certainly approve of what the firefighters did, and I will also do that if ever I have a hamster or any rodent as a pet.

#2Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would do it for any living thing, because we all deserve life. Nothing is so worthless it deserves to die because of inconvenience. These are the most innocent, unprotected of us all.. they need people to fight for them and yes, even when that puts us in danger. I wouldn't personally be able to run through fire unless it was for my child lol, but who knows.. I have such a value for life; knowing me I would run through fire for an animal as well. Because a life is a life.. I would be able to feel it's fear and it's pain and I would want to save it. The adrenaline would likely send me running to do just that.

4. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I have two kitties that I would certainly run into a burning building for. Cats are very common to find and very easy to adopt, but no cat could replace my two, Kido and Teacup. They have individual personalities that I adore and I would go to great lengths to protect them.

5. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    If the pet was given to me by someone I love, then yes. But usually...no :/

My boyfriend and I have actually talked about this and we decided that four our future dog/cat, it would be based purely on: 1) how old the animal is, 2) The success rate of surgery or rescue, and 3) Whether or not insurance will cover it. The biggest one is definitely age and the success rate though, because if the animal is relatively old and has a low success rate we're not going to drop like 5k on a surgery or something.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    All the way. I once begged my vet to save my cat even though he said that it might already be too late. He said that I would just be spending a lot of money on something that was unsure. I still pushed for it. Thankfully, my cat was saved. I ended up spending a lot though. :p

7. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Of course I would run into a burning building to try to save my cats. They are part of my family. What kind of person would I be if I just let them die because I was protecting myself. I approve of what the firefighters did. If there was a chance that with a simple treatment like oxygen the pet would live then it seems cruel to deny them that. If my cats where ever in danger I would want the firefighter to do everything he can until I can get them to an emergency vet clinic.

Regarding saving a pet in case of an illness or medical emergency I would decide based on the expected outcome. I wouldn't mind paying for the vet but if there's a very high chance the treatment wont work or if the pet would be living in pain or without quality of life, then I would let them go. I wouldn't want to extend their suffering.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It probably depends on the pet. If it were a cat or dog then I'd strongly consider it, but I don't think I would go back inside for a reptile, nor would I ask a fireman to go in and risk his life for any of my pets. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if a fireman lost his life and endangered the well being of his own family just because of my pets.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just wondering, what was the illness of your cat? But I'm glad that he's ok now and you made the right decision.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Naturally, I would try and save any critter during a fire, be it a dog or a snake. Everyone deserves to live. Having worked as a volunteer, taking care of injured wildlife in Australia for many years, I could not imagine giving a snake or lizard less attention than to a koala or baby kangaroo. I would even save insects if there was enough time.
    For me every life is precious, even that of a cockroach.

#10Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014