How fast do you eat your food?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by MellowGuy • Sep 17, 2012.

1. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    For me it depends on what food I'm currently eating. If I love the food that is being served then I tend to eat fast and more compared to when the food being served isn't really something I like.

2. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Same here! Even if I think I'm eating as quickly as possible, I'm still always the last person. There have been countless times when my boyfriend or my friends are just waiting for me to finish, because they've already finished and inhaled (at least it seems that way to me!) their food. I take my time eating. I am a fan of food, so I like to taste everything I need. I like to savor it and enjoy it. I've also noticed that if you eat slower and take your time, then your body will have time to tell your brain, "I'm full. Stop eating." This is great for my body, my health, and my wallet (since, if I'm eating out, then I can just doggy bag the leftovers).

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never pay attention nor count i just chew till i feel like it's enough than swallow that might be a reason why sometimes after eating certain things i get chest pains.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Not only that, but you'll save yourself a lot of indigestion issues by eating more slowly. So it saves money and doctor's visits.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I definitely don't count how many times I chew my food :p I don't eat too slow or too fast; average, I'd say. Although I'm usually the first one to finish during dinner with my family.

6. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I don't eat fast at all, as a matter of fact, when I go to a restaurant I see people that came the same time as I did and they have eaten and was on there way and I am only half finished. I said what did they do inhale and exhale? I just have never been able to eat fast in all my life.

7. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    OMG I eat my food so fast sometimes that its scary.
    People I eat with eat so slow. I'm often through in a couple of minutes. I just can't sit there making
    small talk when there is work to be done.

8. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I try to eat pretty slowly and properly chew my food and everything. I know sometimes, usually when I'm eating junk food or something more indulgent I find I do probably eat too fast. I do think it is better to eat slower, also just because you can enjoy your food more.

9. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I think it's better to eat your food slowly instead of rushing to finish. You are suppose to enjoy every bite and savor the flavor. So everyone should take it slow and enjoy so they won't eat so much and put on the pounds.

10. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I am someone who is guilty of eating fast because most of the time I am really hungry and I don't chew as much as I should. I hope that with time I will try to e corporate more chewing into my life because there are many negative aspects to when people don't chew their food on a daily basis.

11. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    If I'm really hungry then REALLY fast! If I'm in a rush, then REALLY fast. Most of the time I'm either or, or both so I mostly eat fast a lot. I don't think eating super fast is good but I wouldn't call my eating super fast. I'm a guy after all.

12. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I think everyone should take there time and enjoy there food no matter what it is, after all, we only have one stomach and we have to take it with us for the rest of our life. We must take care of what makes us get up and go and gives us the energy to move about, so think about that before you screw it up.

13. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    It is really important that we chew our food.. I never sit in front of the TV when I eat..that is when I eat fast.. now I eat while I read stuff on my laptop.. and I notice I eat fast again..
    I generally chew my food well.. ( never count though) before I swallow. I am neither fast or slow.. but I stick to small portion sizes.

14. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I simply do not chew enough. Just a couple of times and then I swallow the food...I know that this is a bad habit and in fact, is unhealthy. I read somewhere that you need to chew about 80 times, I am not sure if this is an exaggeration or not but that is what I read. I have a long way to go!

15. gabstaff

gabstaffMember

Threads:
    I eat my food fast compared to other people. Growing up my family would watch tv while eating dinner. No one was allowed to talk, so I guess it is engrained in me now to just shut up at dinner and eat. I figured once I finished my meal I can get up and go watch my own TV.

16. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I try to take my time but sometimes I just cant. Im either that hungry that I just pound down my food or I have my daughter maing sure my hands are so full I dont have time to eat slowly. It is great advice though just not easy to follow. It's good for weight watching too - slower you eat the less you eat.

17. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I chew pretty quickly so the rule of chewing 20 times or so is never applied to me. I hope I can really change this
    because I have learned how much it affects metabolism and the rate of it. The problem is that when you are hungry you tend to eat everything very fast
    and you don't give your stomach time to process the food which is my main problem.

18. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to eat very quickly. I didn't even taste the food I was eating. I also overate big time. I have learned to slow down. It was a long hard process. I had to remember to put down my fork while eating. I used to just shove food in my mouth. Then I learned not to put more food in my mouth before I swallowed the food that was already in my mouth. I was a mess.

When I'm in a rush, I find myself falling back into those old habits.

19. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a bad habit of eating too fast, I have been doing it since I was a kid. Nowadays I try to be more conscious of my eating and savour each bite, but sometimes I am very hungry and I eat a meal in a few minutes.

20. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I learned from the

to chew every bite 30 times because ...

... it takes your brain a little time to figure out that you're full (is THAT what that means? :p), so chewing each bite 30 times gives your brain some time to catch-up with your 'eyes' (You've heard grownups say, "I guess your eyes were bigger than your stomach"? That's what they mean.) And also ...

(Not exactly ... again; often you shovel more food in before your stomach can tell your brain 'Enough!')

... your mouth makes up one-tenth to one-fourth of the digestive-tract (depending on how you measure it), and the ONLY part where you have any conscious control ... might as well make the mouth 'pull more weight' in the process!