How fast is 2G speed?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by eagletal88 • Jan 9, 2015.

1. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I am looking to cut back on my internet bill, and have been looking at getting T Mobile hot spot internet. I don't download much data per month, so I am planning on going with the lowest cost of $20 per month. The only catch is that only 2G is offered in my area... What can I expect for speeds??

2. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not think 2g such a good thing to have because the speed is very less. The speed changes according to the location and I think you should contact your is isp for further details. I do not think it can be any better than 1mbps.

3. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I'm guessing that it's pretty slow considering 4G is the norm. I think that if you REALLY need to make it work then you can, but I don't think that you would be able to do much.

4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I think you'd be better off just not having internet for a while. 2G is significantly more slower than either 3G or 4G LTE. They are much superior to 2G and its very noticeable.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't even know they offered their mobile hot spot at 2G speeds - I don't think that would be usable at all since 2G speeds are practically like dial up. If you know someone with a T-Mobile phone currently, those phones (at least my Galaxy Note 3 does) allow you to change your connection speeds, so you can browse the web or try out Facebook on them and see how they operate at the 2G speeds. I've done it a few times with my own phone, and it was not usable at all.

I think you might be getting their offer mixed up though, are you sure they didn't mean 2GB of data transfer instead of 2G speed? That sounds more feasible. I have a smartphone with them, and can use it as a Wi-Fi hot spot to get online with my laptop and other devices if I want, but I am only on their 1GB of data plan per month. I could upgrade if I needed to, but it would cost me more.

Personally 2GB of data per month wouldn't work for me since I watch a lot of television online, and do a lot of downloading and would blow through that in a day or two. Traditional landline cable is unfortunately still the better deal for me, as I would be paying around $10 for every GB I went over on my T-Mobile plan. But if you are really disciplined with your internet usage and only did stuff like check emails or lightly browse the web, you might be able to scrape by with 2GB per month.

You can also supplement your internet usage by taking advantage of the free Wi-Fi at your local libraries too.

6. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks everyone.

Yeah, after doing more research I decided it would be best to go a different route. Initially, I wanted to save costs, but since I do quite a bit of online work I decided to go with Verizon pre-paid wifi. It is $60 a month for 4G speeds, but the most important thing is that I won't be locked into a 2 year contract.

I have to have a mobile connection because of my living arrangements.

7. westmixxin

westmixxinMember

Threads:
    2g is not to fast I really like 4g because it really works well for me I hope this continues to be the case. I think the 2g speed is for cheap services.

8. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    Even if I think you already have the answer that you needed, your original question was not answered; how fast (or slow) is 2G speed?

2G or GPRS is comparable to the speed that of a dial-up connection (56kbps) . So unless you live in the 1990's era, save yourself from frustration and don't go with 2G.

9. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    According to Google, 2g speeds are 40kbps, but with EDGE it'll be about 500kbps (I believe these are both upload and download speeds). This is terribly slow, and unless you're doing nothing more then viewing light webpages, I suggest that you at least use 3g speeds, and they'll be bearable.

So you can expect rock bottom speed, basically what was fast in 2000...

10. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    You can expect to be extremely frustrated. 2g speeds to me is ridiculous, but if you had dial up speed than you might be used to slow speeds. If I were you I would check with century link, they have high speed wireless internet that starts at only $30 per month. Way better if $10 per month isn't am issue for you.

11. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    3G and 4G LTE are more than a dozen times faster that 2G or EDGE. Major countries in the world like Australia, Canada and the US are planning to formally shut down 2G and focuses to much faster 3G and 4G LTE. 2G normally commands 40 kbps while Edge around 500 kbps.

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you're looking to check your email, then 2G speeds will suffice. Anything else, and then you're going to want 3G speeds or better. It's always a smart idea to pay a little more for Internet and avoid hotspots as your home networking option because the speeds are going to be atrocious otherwise.