How Fast Is Your Internet Right Now?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by sissibombix • Sep 19, 2015.

1. sissibombix

sissibombixMember

Threads:
    And how fast it's supposed to be? I wanted to compare the differences between what you are paying for and what you are really getting in terms of internet speed. Also, where do you live and which is your internet provider?
    I've heard that internet in Europe is normally faster than in the states and that in Asia it is even faster!

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My internet is satellite, so it is not that fast. If I want to use Skype or some advanced internet procedure that requires I need to go the library. I am not sure how fast it is supposed to be, but it is fast for satellite, just not fast enough. It is not fast enough for most work at home jobs sadly.

3. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    It's interesting that you asked this. I just had to replace my modem and upgrade my service from 25 MBPS to 75 MBPS...I found out I was getting about 12 MBPS at the 25 level, and I am now getting about 70 at the 75 level. Not too bad, and a noticeable difference in speed.

4. Faye1232212

Faye1232212New Member

Threads:
    I currently pay for 50mbps. However, after doing a speed test I found I am getting only about 30 mbps. This is very low considering in supposed to be at 50.

I pay a lot of money to have the speeds that I need but since my company likes to throttle their connections, I can't even get my money's worth. I find it dishonest when internet providers throttle connections. I should be getting what I paid for. Period

5. sissibombix

sissibombixMember

Threads:
    Wow that was a good upgrade. Did you change companies or upgraded with the same provider? I was thinking of upgrading my internet as well but I'm afraid to end up paying more for the same speed.

6. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I'm paying for 50 MBPS download and 10 MBPS, and I'm getting roughly that since I'm not taxing my service too much. I've found, however, that my ISP will start to throttle me if I do too much uploading. They essentially killed a promising streaming program I'd set up, and they refused to acknowledge they were throttling me, even though I had some solid proof to the contrary. Really irritating. Sadly, the alternatives in my area don't sound any better...

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mine's broadband ADSL and I'm on a package that's supposed to be good, the second most expensive package. I pay a pretty penny towards it, too. But quite frankly, I don't think we're getting our money's worth at all. It's very up and down, and today it's been very intermittent all through the day. I just feel like taking that horrible modem and smashing it! At least I'd get some satisfaction from doing that. I'll be looking to move VERY soon!

8. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    In the Philippines, Internet is really messed up. Most people pay ~$25 a month for a 2Mbps connection. That's equivalent to approximately 256KBps download speed. Now imagine, you can't even watch 720p videos on YouTube without buffering. I guess, our country still has a long way to go before our ISPs can be at par with that of the rest of the world.

However, for mobile internet, it's a different story. There's a telecom that offers unlimited (and sometimes capped) LTE internet for ~$25 a month. The speed is up to 42Mbps, but then again, that's the ideal speed. Still better than DSL though. But LTE is not available all over the country so only the urban places get to enjoy LTE connection. :(

9. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    My internet is 5 mbps. It's not lighting fast by any means, but it serves me well for what I need to do online.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We pay around $20 for 5mbps here and it's what most regular consumers here get, and unfortunately I don't think the providers really give that much speed. Also, the speed tends to fluctuate from time to time to extremes. There are times we would get a very short spike of slow internet to the point where it keeps disconnecting and you'd have to reset your router constantly to bring it back up, but for the most part it is comfortable enough for regular use.

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's ironic that our internet at home is faster than our internet in the office. Maybe it is the number of users in the network, huh. But I also notice in the office that the internet gets so slow after lunch time until maybe 3pm. Even the system admin couldn't explain the reason and he just say it is in our internet package with the telecoms company. It's a good thing that our internet at home is fairly good when it comes to speed.

12. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The internet in my area is great during the day bit slows considerably at night. I presume it's just down to the amount of people who log on at night, after work. There's the occasional outage here and there but on the whole, it's a reliable service.

13. Kimberley05

Kimberley05New Member

Threads:
    usually it is faster than that, and I normally get a 15 ping to that server but it is peak Sunday time so looks like I am being throttled.

Attached Files:

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My internet connection is neither slow nor fast. I get 20 Mbps. It costs around $30 a month sometimes less because they [the ISP] from time to time offers some discounts. The speeds are good enough for me because I hardly ever download huge files or play online games that would demand super-fast net speeds. Faster internet is slightly more expensive but I don't think I'll ever need it.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We too have better internet at home :) But sometimes its sluggish during work hours, and then seems to pick up speed after hours....very strange!

At work it can be as slow as a snail, but I sometimes wonder if it's because of lack of maintenance because I don't ever remember IT coming in or sending a message that there'll be outage due to maintenance as is the norm. I always remove cookies and clear my history, but I never see anyone doing it.

16. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As having an internet connection is still regarded as somewhat of a luxury where I am - as coverage is not as widespread as it is elsewhere - not only is it quite expensive with the average monthly cost for a 3 - 4 Mbps connection being between $60 - $70 a month - which is in reality a 1-2 Mbps connection - but the choice of provider and type of contract is fairly limited too - as is the quality of what you get for your money.

For example - even though we are have one of the better contracts - that (in their words not mine ) guarantees a reliable 6 Mbps connection at all times - although somewhat better than the alternatives - not only does it drop from time to time and often without warning - supposedly due to emergency maintenance - but the average speed is generally somewhere around the 2 - 3 Mbps mark and usually way less than that in the evenings and at week-ends - when it can be so slow that its like watching paint dry.

That said - even though some of these traits can at times be somewhat infuriating - its worth every cent - as its way, way better that not having an internet connection at all.

17. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    According to a test, my download speed is 2.98 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload. Games and 720HD videos play just fine while 1080 has a bit of trouble. Downloading a 1GB video usually takes around 1 to 2 hours. I'm happy with my internet and it's enough to do what I need to do.

18. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I'm using a 3 MBPS connection and paying around $25 dollars a month. It's not that bad for me though. I just use it to surf and download movies. It serves me well, But compared to other countries my connection obviously sucks. We have the slowest internet speed in Asia and internet connection here cost a lot.. I hope providers from other countries can provide their services here for a change.

19. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Our internet connection runs between 14-16 Mbps, so far so good because we've been paying for a max of 16Mbps and the Internet connection seems to be stable ever since we got it. Skybroadband is cool!

20. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    Ping: 8ms
    Download Speed: 11.35MBps
    Upload Speed: 1.03MBps
    It's not at all great unfortunately. I think the main reason is the fact that London has one of the worst broadband speeds available for most of its residents. I am currently with Sky Broadband. Need to move as these speeds are not at all great, I think the best for me would be to move over to Virgin