How Fast Is Your Internet?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Turtletechie • Feb 11, 2015.

1. Turtletechie

TurtletechieNew Member

Threads:
    Now that we are into 2015 I was curious how fast everyone's Internet is these days. Personally my Internet speed is around 15 Mbps. That seems to get the job done for everything I need although during big downloads I sometimes wish it was faster. I could up my speed but it would cost more money. What speeds are you getting? Do you think I should go for a little more speed?

2. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Speed is an important component of internet usage. My internet service on my mobile phone is not reliable I am in the process of switching to another service provider. If you are getting 15 Mbps and the job is being done and the service is reliable I would say work with that speed for now until further changes. My speed is about 8 Mbps, and it really irritates me as most of my communication is done via my mobile.

3. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    If you wish that your Internet was faster, then I would say yes, go ahead and invest in getting faster service. But it also depends on how often you feel like that. Do you find yourself wishing for more speed on a daily basis, or is it just a passing thought that you have every now and then? How often do you do big downloads? If you are constantly thinking about faster speed every time you go online, it's time to upgrade.

Mine is about 25 Mbps, according to an online test I just took. I don't have any Internet connection problems, and everything seems to work fast enough. Sometimes I think if I take my laptop to certain locations, the speed might seem faster, but I don't know. I don't have any complaints.

4. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKatyActive Member

Threads:
    My internet speed is 10 Mbps, and it does fine with streaming - now that we've added a high quality router.

The first thing to check is if you are actually receiving the speed you're paying for. There's no need to pay for more if they aren't even delivering your 15 Mbps. You can check your speed at

If you are in fact getting what you are paying for, the holdup may be at your modem. Is it the basic ISP provided one, or do you maintain your own? In our case, we found that we were receiving the right speed, but it was essentially bottle-necked at the modem.

Here's the router I added (and love) -

. I highly recommend it, and I imagine you would be happier with your current level of internet service by adding a dual band router.

5. westmixxin

westmixxinMember

Threads:
    It's not nearly as fast as it should be it seems like were paying more for Internet now than ever and it's moving slower than it ever has.

6. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    I always envy people from other countries when it comes to their internet speeds. Here in the Philippines, your $25 can only give you 1Mbps (that is for the basic DSL internet). Yes, that's right. If you want to have faster internet speed, make sure to ready your wallet. Anyway, to answer your question, I got myself a cable TV + internet connection bundle for about $50 a month and the speed is pretty decent at 4Mbps. I can only hope for a much affordable internet here in our country.

7. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have 75mbps back in October, but since I've moved it got bumped down to 5mbps, then 15, then for about 3 months it was 0.8mbps (never will I ever live in rural Ontario ever again) and now it's back to 15mbps, which is comfortable. It's not exactly the fastest, but it works well for what I need it for and how much I'm willing to spend.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My internet speed is very slow, we have 4 people in house using the service. The speed is very slow cuts out and it can take for ever for a large file to download. I would like to get another speed but I am not the person paying the bill.

9. Jxhn

JxhnNew Member

Threads:
    Verizon Fios reports that my internet speed is at 50mbps upload and 50mbps download. However, it is obvious that it is exaggerated because I have run multiple tests on multiple devices. In reality, I rarely reach beyond 35mbps download and 25mbps upload, which is still really good but not what I am paying for. As a result, I plan on downgrading my plan and hopefully getting the same speeds that I am getting now.

10. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    I have a 10Mbps connection for home and work related internet usage. It's more than enough for me, I'm not in the habit of downloading humongous files or uploading videos into a Youtube channel. I mostly use my internet connection for research and entertainment.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't even know exactly how fast my internet is. It's fast enough for me to work and teach online, so I guess it's up in the 10Mbps+ range. All I know is that I don't need it to run any faster. Everything works smoothly most of the time, and in time. And for the price that I am paying I am happy with it.

12. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    That's actually not too bad for speed at all, especially when you're running that many devices. What kind of programs do you run on them to get the speed to slow down so significantly. Also since I'm not from America, how much does this whole plan cost you, I'd love to compare it to Canadian prices..

13. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    My internet connection is pretty decent. However if you compare it with other countries in Asia we are one of the slowest. In fact a recent internet speed survey conducted for selected countries around the globe my country is among the bottom players. Quite sad.:(

14. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Everybody wants to have the fastest internet, myself included but surely there must come a time when you stop and think...how fast can you get?
    Most broadband these days is pretty fast and does what we all want it to do so is it worth paying more to do the same thing but just a little faster?

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't tell you in technical terms, but my internet speed is ok. Internet access in my country is quite expensive, but the prices were recently slashed, and are set to get even lower :) We have therefore recently boosted our package to a faster one. It's decent, but there are times when it goes very slow. It seems random, and I'm not sure why that is. With more money, we'll definitely pay more for faster internet, since we scrapped our satellite/cable subscription. That was just ridiculously expensive.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Ours is good enough for the most part. I usually could stream and download without much problem, but recently it has been getting more and more problematic as some days my internet gets so slow that even. Youtube videos buffer at the lowest settings. The worst part is that even if I did complain I probably couldn't do much about it since the choices here are very limited and the companies know it since they are the ones monopolizing the market.

17. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Being a bit of a geek when it comes to things like this, I went down the cable broadband route and I'm getting download speeds of 80 and upload speed of around 20 which is pretty decent.
    I guess it depends on what you use the internet for as to how fast you need it to be and also how much you want to spend.
    Your nor going to want to pay 60 a month if all you do is check your emails once a day.

18. Megan888

Megan888Member

Threads:
    Our internet speed is 50mbps. We have a variety of devices we use the internet on and sometimes there are several of us on at once. We use it for Netflix, gaming, laptop, phones, Kindle, WWE Network, etc. It is really fast no matter how many people are using it. We have a deal with our cable company and we get internet, phone, and cable in a bundle. It is affordable and reliable.

19. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Our internet speed is 50 Mbps and upload speed is 5 to 6 Mbps. Of course, this is the maximum possible amount, assuming that the connection to the server is ideal. Thankfully, our ISP service is very reliable and has kept to their speed promises. I can easily watch Youtube videos, play and update multiplayer games, and generally browse the internet without slowdown or restrictive caps. I just wish for a faster upload speed, mainly for posting videos to Youtube, and for backing up files through cloud storage.

20. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For some reason, people think that speed is the only thing that matters, but you can actually stream content and play games with less than 10Mbps download speeds. Our household gets anywhere from 30 to 70 Mbps, depending upon the time of day, but we have about 20 devices connected to the Web during peak usage times.