How going green can benefit your bank account as well as the enviroment

Discussion in Heating started by messlisa • May 7, 2013.

1. messlisa

messlisaNew Member

Threads:
    With the economic uncertainty within today's society. We have to explore our options, pinch every penny we can in-order to lead a prosperous lifestyle. going green seems to be the best solution. I have transferred my home into a more environmentally friendly atmosphere and couldn't be happier with the outcome. Has anyone else tried going green? If so, do you have any updated information you would like to share?

2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What have you done to transform your home to a 'green' home? Do you use solar panels for energy? Green technology is quite expensive, it would take many years to recoup your initial investment. I suppose it depends what you mean by going green...

3. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    I highly doubt that she would solar panels, but if I'm wrong, I will be amazed.
    Probably on the more generic side like turning off the lights, saving water, etc.

4. messlisa

messlisaNew Member

Threads:
    I have used solar panels actually and they do indeed save you extensively on your electric bill, although conserving water and turning the lights off is a good way to also save money, that isn't really going green. Solar heat pumps are not too expensive and also save you money, since it pulls an extensive amount of electricity each time you use your hot water. You can find "generic" (if you like that word) off name brands that can make going green less expensive.

5. iagirl

iagirlMember

Threads:
    It seems like if you can install the equipment yourself it is much more affordable. I have been looking into a wind turbine for electricity. It's very expensive it you have someone install it for you but affordable with a short payoff period if you can install it yourself.

6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Going green has many advantages and brings environmental benefits, financial benefits, and personal benefits as well.

By shifting to green alternatives we contribute to protect our environment, and by simple eco-friendly actions we can see results translated into a more healthy finances, because we can start saving money by saving energy and also by reducing, reusing, and recycling what we use.

All of these actions make our lifestyle more frugal, more healthier and more constructive. That's it!

7. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I always thought that going green and being healthy were things that rich people do. Most of the times, the things you need to achieve just things are pretty expensive compared to the normal products, specially when you put your money in some new kind of energy form like solar energy.

8. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Many alternative energy projects can be instituted as do-it-yourself projects. One thing have been blogging about is energy from septic tanks. About 25% of American households utilize septic tanks which will operate more efficiently when retrofitted to capture the methane which they produce and otherwise release into the atmosphere as one of the most dangerous of green-house gasses. I also advocate for more green energy mutual support groups.

9. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Green technology is way to expensive for me to even consider. The only thing I can try and do is reduce my energy consumption. I have most of my lights off during the day and rarely use the cooling system.

Maybe one day when the price of green technology goes down. You will see more and more people invest in it.

10. fancy

fancyMember

Threads:
    I don't have solar panels at my home but still I have gone green. First I mostly make my own cleaning supplies that I don't add any chemicals, secondly I always use energy saving accessories to make sure I reduce my monthly energy bills and finally I have embraced the notion of keeping my electronic devices for long and instead of throwing them into the pitfalls I always make sure I offer them for recycling.

11. avasmom

avasmomMember

Threads:
    I have difficulty justifying the high costs of going green. Have you seen the price of the new LED lightbulbs? They are supposed to last 25 years, but the price!!

12. JoeyJ

JoeyJBanned

Threads:
    Going green actually isn't that environmentally friendly.. the technology just hasn't evolved enough yet
    For instance: solar panels. The production of copper and other materials contributes to even more pollution.
    And the frequency of parts breaking down results in more production of copper etc.. In the end going green is pretty much a big waste of time because there will ALWAYS be emissions. There are certain types of going "green" that work but right now there aren't many that are cost effective.

13. thomas pendrake

Threads:
    Although the initial cost of an led or a cfl is higher that the initial cost of an incandescent bulb the incredible power savings and the cost of the replacement incandescent bulbs is significant.an led bulb has an expected lifetime of 50,000 hours. A cheap incandescent may last 500 hours. In addition, the more times you turn an incandescent on and off, the shorter that lifetime is, whereas the led is unaffected by repeated cycling. Commercial installations will reap even greater benefits because of labor costs. In many settings the labor costs can be quite high to change 1 bulb.

14. thomas pendrake

Threads:
    Copper In Solar Panels

What type of Solar panels use detectable amounts of copper? Some solar water heating panels might use copper tubing, I suppose. Photovoltaic panels might be connected with copper wires, but much wiring these days is done with cheaper wiring.

15. AskJeeves

AskJeevesMember

Threads:
    The most I have done to be green is to compost almost everything that can be composted and basically conserve energy whenever I can. I also only use energy at night, so I don't cause a hassle with the energy grid. I would love to get off the grid entirely, but it seems to expensive at this point, so I might just put it off for a couple more years. Once the price of solar panels drops, I would buy it immediately.