How have you put all your non digital TV out to pasture?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by MrsJones • Jan 13, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I guess that 'regular' TVs are no longer being manufactured any more, 'cause I haven't seen any other than thrift stores, flea markets or yard sales. I've been shopping around for a flat screen to replace a 32 inch 'regular' TV. When comparing the two the flat screen no doubt sends the 'regular' TV out to pasture. But... I have one 13 inch color TV that I just can't seem to let go of, why is that?

2. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it's been a few months since you wrote this, so perhaps your 13 inch is gone by now, but I have a small TV that has a VCR attached to it, and I refuse to get rid of it even though I have 2 flat screens. My regular TV is bigger than my flat screens, yes, but it still has a great picture and I have a ton of VCR tapes that I still watch, so the VCR that is attached to the bottom of it comes in handy. I also have cassette tapes that I still listen to for that matter, and I'm not getting rid of those either, lol!!

I don't feel any pressure whatsoever to get rid of "old" things, especially if they are good quality.

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    @Winnie@Winnie. No I still have it and plan on keeping it for the same reasons as yours. A great picture, VCR included, VHS tape library and still adding to it. It's not taking up a lot of room so until it no longer works - it's staying.

4. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    My VHS library is a thing of beauty, lol, and I'm still adding to mine too!

It's interesting to me how some newer TV's don't have as good a picture as some of the older TVs.

I learned my lesson years ago about getting rid of a TV that I really liked. It was an older TV like we are talking about here, but the picture was Fabulous. I gave it to an acquaintance calling myself doing a good deed.

When my son saw me giving it away, he came right to the car where the lady was putting the TV in her trunk and in no uncertain terms told me he wanted the TV back, lol. It was kind of embarrassing. I went ahead and gave her the TV, but ended up having to get another one for myself. Should have just kept the one I had.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still have a VHS at my parents and a mini-disc player and an old CD player boom box. There is no reason to get rid of them as they all still work, but no one actually does use them!

In the attic I am sure there are some old computers and game consoles too as well as a record player. One day someone will have to sort them out.

6. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    I am the same as you. As well as wide screen TVs I have an older 'fat' TV with integral VHS player. I still watch some older films on it from my VHS collection.
    I have found it hard to get rid of some of the mass of VHS tapes acquired when my children were small. I have managed to give some to a charity shop but I am keeping the Disney titles and sentimental ones, even if they will never be watched again.
    I also have a music centre complete with record player, tape deck and CD player. Occasionally I play my LPs, tapes or CDs on it. It's a trip down nostalgia lane that I wouldn't want to stop taking.

7. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Hmmm... I still have a working VHS and DVD player on the ready. In fact, I'm still using a 21-inch "regular" TV for over 5 years (bought an analogue to digital converter box for it) and it still works fine. Though, I watch more stuff online nowadays. I'm trying to convert my old media to digital as well, before the former physically degrades.

8. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    @Jannnnjan,@Theo@Theo, @RapidRaven@RapidRaven, @Winnie@Winnie... I like to take a trip down nostalgia lane as well. I'd like to believe that my grandchildren will appreciate how I have kept the out dated electronics to see how things do change over time, especially when they ask the question 'Why?'