How Important Is Wifi For Your Guests?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by AgentD22 • Jun 28, 2016.

1. AgentD22

AgentD22New Member

Threads:
    Hello!

I was thinking in buying a new router. I have one that fulfills my needs and my family’s needs for wi-fi just fine, we can use the laptop from bed and keep our phones connected to the internet just fine.

The thing that is making consider buying a new router is the fact that the signal is kinda weak in the living room and other areas where our guests usually hang around, like the pool. The ones I find are kinda expensive so I was thinking, is this really necessary? So I come with that question to you:

How important is for you as a guest to get wifi in a house? And how important is it for you as a host?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    WiFi is indispensable in our household. Although we didn't really think of our guests when we had it installed, every time there's a party in our house, I've recently noticed that they would always ask for the WiFi password. It hasn't been a problem so far because we simply give them the password (provided the guests are our relatives or deeply trusted friends). Our connection is 7 mbps so it's fast enough for 5 or so people to use the WiFi at the same time. You don't have to get another router. Just up your connection speed.

3. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Most people in my area don't consider Wifi in their priorities. This is partly due to the fact that the necessary infrastructure for Wifi services have not been rolled out. There are also initiatives by the county governments in my country to provide Wifi services. Data bundles in my country are cheap and most people are just content to load on the go.

4. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Everyone uses the wifi. Guests included. I like a complete, functioning, comfortable home. When guests come to my home, I want them to feel welcome and comfortable. I consider wifi to be very basic. It has become very basic. I recommend getting the better coverage. You will enjoy it too, if you have a weak signal.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my sister's family comes over, her children would surely use the wifi. They would be disappointed if we have no wifi because they don't have a pocket wifi in their phones. It's a good thing that our wifi router is strong that users can have good signal even if they are out in the garden or even out of the gate. That gives me a suspicion that the neighbor can connect to our wifi because of the strong signal. But we have a password, of course.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's important, but most people are understanding in that not all areas will be well covered. You could get a booster which would be cheaper, but as long as it is available in some communal areas then it's fine. If you do have guests staying a while, it is important, and I'm sure you can always move the router if need be.

7. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I think that it is one of those things that people might not have noticed if you never had it, but once you introduced it then you have to stick with it and it really becomes a part of your location. I know that there are several places that get business due to this fact, so I would say that it is a good practice to offer free WiFi.

8. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    It is important to have a wifi not just for yourself but also for your guest. When my sisters' kids come and they don't find wifi,they will openly castigate me, "Uncle you are so mean not to have wifi." My nephew may even ask me my phone and use the mobile data to surf the net. Adults will not say this, but it is evident on their face that they are bored because there is no wifi.

9. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Is essential, I have a long range router and gave out my password to my guests, but when I experience a slowdown I limit the bandwidth in order to
    allow a share to everyone of seamless good quality connection.

10. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    It really is not essential in my opinion. If you have guests staying for extended periods then yes you can try and make their stay more comfortable, but it is not expected of you to just have wifi everywhere. If it is a big problem to people that regularly come over you can always get a booster and ask them to contribute as it is for your mutual benefit. I would never consider purchasing equipment to increase wifi for guests to be honest.

11. JoshSmith

JoshSmithNew Member

Threads:
    I would say its very important to have WIFI for your guests. You want your guests to feel like they are at home and WIFI is one of those comforts we all are used to.

12. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We seldom have a lot of company; so this has never been an issue with us; but when we do have company, they are certainly welcome to connect to our wifi.
    Many times, the different companies will also have a public wifi connection, and a person can use that internet connction from anywhere that has one available.
    For example, Xfinity has hot spots all over where Xfinity has service; so if I use Xfinity, and go somewhere besides my home, I can connect to the hotspot closest to where I am at.
    Likewise, anyone visiting me should be able to connect to the nearest hotspot of whatever service provider they use, when they are at my house; so using my service is not the only available option.
    Most phones also have a hot spot, or they can connect through the cell service; so having to provide service for friends should not usually be necessary.

13. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    The issue them becomes how much comfort do you afford your guests. The question was not, "I have the money, should I give them wifi?", but rather "Should I spend money I don't have to satisfy a guest's needs?" My answer to this is still a resounding no. If they want wifi they can either go closer to the home and connect or use hotspots like @Happyflowerlady@Happyflowerlady mentioned.

14. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I am not sure every place wants you to feel at home, but I get it. It is like they want to take all the good that comes with it, and that makes sense. I can definitely see it factoring into people making that decision of whether or not to go to a certain place or not.

15. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    In our area WiFi is not so popular even though I got a WiFi dongle. Moreover, most of our guests would be family persons and they usually come with their kids and we enjoy chatting with them. So there is no place for a WiFi or other modes of net surfing. But yes, grownup kids may sometimes want net connection. Then I let them use my laptop. I never felt it as a necessity to have a WiFi for my guests till now. May be in future it may change as new generation is more towards WiFi oriented.

But to let them connect your WiFi in their handsets you should share your WiFi password too. Is that safe to make it so public? Then anybody can access your data from a distance. To be frank, personally I don't like things like WiFi comes in between personal visits. I will cut down our social interaction.