How Light Do You Travel?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Jul 30, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One celebrity recently was in the news for the wrong reasons. He'd fainted on a flight. It was discovered that to avoid paying baggage fees he had worn more than four layers of clothes. Quite extreme if you ask me.

Done the right way, traveling light could save the traveler some money. Pack only what you need or what you won't buy in the place you are visiting.

Question: do you guys travel light or take along as much baggage as you please?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, how odd! Surely he's not that short of a bob or two to go to those extremes!?

I try to travel light, but can never succeed at it LOL I'm sure a lot of ladies are in the same boat as me. I like to have variety and almost always take way more stuff than I need. I know it makes sense to scale right back, but I just can't.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've learned to pack light and just use what I have. I still pack silly things though at times, but I use up all the space I have. I do wear the heavy clothes and things like a pair of boots though as they take up room and are heavy. I also wear the expensive clothes just in case the case gets lost. My hand luggage can weigh more than my hold luggage at times as I pack bulky items in the hold.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to travel in full battle regalia but when we got used to traveling abroad, we now travel as light as possible. For my husband and me, we bring only 1 bag. We usually have extra baggage when coming home due to the items we bought during the trip. But basically, most of our clothes would last for 2 days only and we just buy new clothes in our destination.

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m still inordinately proud of being able to pack for a two-week trip in a carry-on bag. Not only that, but I was able to bring back most of the stuff I bought on said trip in the same bag. I haaaaate checking my baggage in, so I’ve figured out how to get by on a fairly bare minimum. The real shame is that I rarely have the opportunity to exercise my packing skills anymore. Haha.

6. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    What possessed someone to do that I can't even begin to imagine - as going to that extreme seems somewhat bizarre - especially considering - that unless visiting a remote area of a third world country - almost everything can be bought at the chosen destination.

As for me - having spent the majority of my working life regularly traveling from one place to another and often at very short notice too - it got me into the habit of traveling light - in fact probably even more so these days - as apart from the fact that I don't like having too many bags to carry - with all the varying size and weight restrictions that all the different airlines have these days - I generally like to keep my luggage as minimal as possible - especially as - excess baggage fees can be huge and often way more expensive than buying various items at the planned destination.

7. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I try to travel light but sometimes that is hard to do, depending on where you are going and how long you are staying for. Going there is not bad because I usually leave lots of room for purchases while I'm away but coming back after shopping can be a whole different story. I try to keep within my limits though to avoid extra costs.

8. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Well that's a bit extreme... he wouldn't even take off the clothes even though he was about to pass out? Man, the measures people will go through to save money these days.

Honestly you don't really need as much as you think when you travel so I normally go on the bare minimum. Really, I'm not joking when I say that my suitcase is almost empty but by the time I get back, they're full. You know why? Because I fill it up during vacation, not before you leave! All I bring with me is basically 3-4 days worth of clothing because I always hand wash in the hotel. It saves money from using the washing machine and if you just briefly hand wash every day to hang dry, you'll always have clothes available. Plus your suitcase will basically be empty. All you really need after clothes is toiletries, electronics and that's basically it for me. I don't just travel light, I travel at the bare minimum.

9. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Traveling light is great choice but really difficult one to do. It especially difficult to do when you have a son with you. Just this summer, we went to a beach resort for three days. Just three days and we had one baggage just for his clothes and another two bags for me and his grandmother. Another bag is just for my son's food lol. Any mommies here who know how to travel lightly with a son in tow? Lol.

10. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I travel as lightly as possible, because I don't want to have to pay extra baggage. This isn't usually a problem when I am on the way there, however I do try my best to save money by packing light when I am making my return journey - as I know that I will be picking things up at the airport that are cheaper there than they are at home, and as a result of this I like to stock up on things before I leave. So I make sure that there is definitely going to be room in my case for this before I leave.

11. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I travel as light as possible. But I have to take more money just so I can replace whatever I forget. There's always something. clean underwear and socks, toothbrush, eyeliner... always something...

12. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I have done some traveling at both extremes.

If I'm flying, I travel super light. I can usually pack for a weekend in a messenger bag or two weeks in a standard laptop size backpack.

If we're backpacking, we go as ultralight as we can manage so the hiking is more pleasant. My back and knees don't appreciate a heavy pack.

If we're driving, we travel with everything, including the kitchen sink and our own toilet. An RV is convenient for that. With it, we're at home wherever we park it.

13. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to pack heavy but only because I have kids. I want to make sure they have enough clean clothes if there are any spills or anything. I also want to make sure they are comfortable temperature wise. When in a tourist area, prices tend to be much higher for clothes, especially for swim suits or sweatshirts. In my opinion, it's always better to over pack than under pack.

14. juulicob

juulicobNew Member

Threads:
    I travel as light as I possibly can - without feeling like I forgot something! That could be tricky but surely worth it. If I can avoid checking in a bag, I will. Especially if I know I will have free laundry facility to use, such as staying at family's houses. I'm actually going to New York soon to see my family for a few weeks and this is very simple to pack. I can travel with a carry-on luggage because I won't need to bring too many necessities, considering I won't be staying in the middle of nowhere...
    However, when I'm in total touristy mode, I pack heavy (definitely at maximum weight!) but in one luggage. I also may have my personal item/backpack with extras. But the way I look at it is you're on vacation... what items do you possibly need? Not much for entertainment purposes, but just daily necessities. Clothes, shower items, medical/health items, wallet. Everything beyond is just the extra maintenance people require. :)

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I pack very light, I will wear the same outfit more than once and have an outfit that can be worn with different shirts to make it more interesting. Shoes are the only thing I don't seem to be able to more than one of is shoes because they take up so much room.

16. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I can fit everything for a weekend in a book bag, and everything for a full week inside a small suitcase. My husband, however, was traveling for work a while back. He had a large suitcase, a small suitcase, a large duffel bag, and a medium sized Igloo cooler. And he still had to buy a few things that he had forgotten.

17. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    When we fly I try to pack as lightly as I can. I try to pack clothes that can be re-worn and are mix and match. I also pack just one pair of multipurpose shoes that can be casual and dressed up. If it's a short trip we use a duffle bag to stuff our clothes and toiletries in it. Now that are tighter weight restrictions on luggage when you fly that helps encourage you to pack lightly or pay the extra $.

18. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    No kidding. Having necessities that we need when we travel is almost as expensive as buying a second ticket. I haven't flown in a very long time... not since your luggage was included in the several hundred dollar plane ticket. But my husband has, and its just crazy!

19. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    I use to pack light for my own easiness. ;)

20. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I have a large book bag. I have a full change of clothes, a spare hairbrush, razor, makeup, and all toiletries. I carry pen, pencil, paper, small scissors... anything I might need in any given situation. I even have a candy bar and pack of cigarettes. Its always in my truck. I feel better knowing that as long as I have my bag I should be prepared for almost any possible, reasonable situation. I would probably have to pay 25$ just to take it on a plane with me. And thats just nonsense. They are really scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as finding new ways to rip the people off.