How Long Can A Computer Last? - A Strong Computer Can Save Money.

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Jason76 • Nov 13, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I don't want to Jinx myself, but assuming I'm using a system utility cleaner, it seems like they can last a long time. I mean, my eMachines desktop is dated from 2011 and runs fine. Anyway, I'm wondering if that's just true for desktops.

2. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I have used a laptop for quite sometime now, but I have never taken to a technician for repair. It has brought me a lot of money since I use it to do online jobs. As compared to the price I bought it at, it has generated a very big percentage on that. I would advise anyone who wishes to purchase a computer to look for a durable one. It saves money a lot. I am not sure with desktops since I have never owned one.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It depends. The computer won't last due to wear and tear, meaning for continuous using it. It won't also last if it's infected virus, if it gets damage due to accident or carelessness.

4. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think new digital equipment last longer than older. Here you can see the digital products are dying lot quicker. And also the amount of time it takes for the computer to power up and stick with it is more. So it all depends on how you choose components. Don't expect more than 4 years from modern devices. They are not built to last 10 years or so. On that note you can see that it can last upto 5 if stretched enough.

5. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I think a computer can last quite a long time if you have the right software on it and are sure you're not over using the power too often or going onto dangerous websites with potential viruses. There is the praise if it's not broke don't fix it, I had my laptop since 2012 and it is working pretty well. So I would say save your money for a few more years, 2-3 at most before updating.

6. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @Jason76@Jason76 The thing that I know about electronic gadgets and computer or laptops included is that there is no written time duration that it would last. Some companies might give you a one year warranty of their products that you are buying but believe me that the durability of such electronic gadgets is directly dependent on how the owner made use of the equipment.

So therefore, maintenance is a major means in ensuring the durability of computers or any other electronic gadgets. There are several variables that might affect how long a computer last, but through adequate maintenance of the gadget, it would help the computer last a long while.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even though an older computer can last for quite a while, strictly speaking, the main problem with it being out of date is that the newer the computer, the more gigabytes you can have on it.
    I can remember back when my son put my second computer together (he works with computers in his occupation), and he told me that it had almost 3/4 of a gig, and it had so much room that I would never ever need another computer. Of course, it wasn’t too much loner when they came out with computers that had over a gigabyte, and now, we have computers with over a terabyte.
    As we use our computers for more and more things, we need more room, and unless you modify the older ones, you just will not have that much hard drive with an old computer.

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our home desktop was bought in 2009 and still running good under Windows XP. Although the system disk had crashed and replaced several times,.the computer itself is still okay. However, I have to admit that with its age, our desktop is getting to be obsolete. First is the browser. I am using Chrome and it gives a message upon restarting that Chrome does not support updates under Windows XP. Likewise with cloud storage such as Google Drive and Dropbox,.they have no more support. And even the free anti virus AVG wouldn't run anymore.

9. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I use System Mechanic as a utility cleaner but cCleaner or something else might be just as good. Also, I'd advise a premium anti-virus, though, I cannot recommend a particular one.

Not trying to jinx myself, but mine is similar (from 2011) and still works good - minus some new blue screen problems. But those are serious because the computer restarts right in the middle of doing things.

#9Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  10. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I've been very lucky with my machines. My desktop is around 7 years old and still running fine. I do have the occasional odd occurrence but it usually sorts itself out if I restart it. I'm not very tech savvy but I've found I can usually sort out most minor problems myself.

I also have chromebook that I've had for years and apart from having to charge it more often now it runs as well as it always did. I would definitely have another one.

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    My 2008 desktop is still running with an XP OS. I don't use it to access the internet, though, as I know that its anti-virus protection is outdated and won't be effective against recent viruses. It has a firewire card which I use to convert recordings in mini-dv tapes to mp4 and other video files. It also has a video card that's powerful enough to allow me to play SIMS3, GTA San Andreas, as well as other older games. I only use the desktop occasionally as it consumes 5x to 6x more electricity than my laptop. Two years ago, I had to replace its hard disk. I bought a 500GB HD to keep it running and had no other issues since then.

12. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    My cynical side want to say that none of them last long, but it is only my personal experience and I have the tendency to wear them down. Plan smart and use wisely and I am sure that you can make it last many many years before having to get a new one. Easier said than done, though.

13. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    when it comes to computers, I think spending more money is spending less money in the end. A good computer is expensive, but it will reward you by presenting you with fewer problems.

14. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit Exactly, it's better to spend more on a well trusted durable computer products and gadgets at the initial stage and steer clear of fault and repairs for years before visiting the technician to help you fix it up is a long way to save more money on the long run.

It's only when you are looking to using such computer for a short while and sell it off that it's more economical to buy cheaper ones, make brief use of it and sell it off almost for the price that you got it for. That is a perfect deal to my very understanding.

15. Shine_Spirit

Threads:
    @Heatman@Heatman Unfortunately people still have the bad habit of associating cheap things like the best options, because they prioritize the pocket first than the quality. What a mistake, haha. :D

#15Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
  16. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit It's definitely their woes because those cheap products are definitely going to give out more sooner than later and they are still going to be the ones complaining. It's simply a fools decision to me, looking to get cheap deals on cheap products and having them spoil within a short period of time.

#16Nov 18, 2017
  17. Shine_Spirit

Threads:
    @Heatman@Heatman In my way of seeing things, I also consider this decision as something fool and that really doesn't make much sense. Very cheap products will always - I mean, always - give you a lot of headaches.

#17Nov 18, 2017
  18. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I think it can last up to 5 yrs. and even above 5, if the hardware has no problem and all problems are software related. You don't need to have a lot of PC productivity software for your PC to last, you just need an anti-virus and you should take good care of it.

19. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @moneymania@moneymania If you make sure to buy a good quality computer and mind how you handle it, with the hardware being in good shape and all the software well taken care of, I do believe that the system would last more than 5 years all things being equal.

Mentioning of the use of anti virus is definitely a good thing to point out, because most computer system problem starts from virus crisis and if not managed probably would intimate a systematic breakdown of the computer gradually.

20. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit Exactly, cheap products will definitely give one serious headache, it's paramount to get always hooked up with the technician workshop repairing one fault or not. Consistent spending of money on changing parts, installing of new software packages and when calculated would prove to be more expenses if you compare the cost of just buying good quality products.