How Long Can A Computer Last? - A Strong Computer Can Save Money.

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Jason76 • Nov 13, 2017.

1. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @larryl332@larryl332 You are actually on point in mentioning that one should plan smart and use his or her gadgets wisely, it's the only way to ensure that such equipment last for a long time not minding if it's a high quality products, if it's being misused, definitely the high quality won't serve as a bargain that it won't get damaged.

2. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @Heatman@Heatman, Yes you are right, and the most vulnerable hardware part is the hard disk and motherboard, because they are subject to heavy usage because of the job they perform. Once the hard disk starts to make a clicking sound it means that it is failing, so you should get all your data before it fails permanently.

3. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure about CCleaner or any such software since I maintain my PC myself. However, buying better/more expensive hardware usually means having a longer lasting PC, since more expensive hardware is not only more powerful but it is also made better/stronger with better quality control. This is especially important for gamers, you get what you pay for after all.

4. juan dela cruz

juan dela cruzMember

Threads:
    According to some articles regarding the life of hardware of computers. Manufacturers say that overheating really decrease the life of computer parts. Meaning if you continuously use it non stop at some point some part will reach it's limit and will just stop working. The best way for me to prolong it's life is to take good care of it specially prevent it from physical damages and overheats.

5. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    It's all about understanding how what you really want when it comes to buying a laptop or any computer system. I got my HP laptop for two years now and it still works fine, only that the battery got issues few weeks ago and needs to be changed. Aside from that, I've enjoyed using the laptop for the past year.

6. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    It likely won't be long now before your battery completely dies and you have to keep your laptop plugged in the outlet 100 % of the time or it will shut down. Speaking of laptop batteries, I just have to say that new ones are for some reason absurdly expensive in my country. It's often better to just buy a new laptop. For that reason alone, an average desktop PC is going to outlast an average laptop by far, and there are also overheating issues which can happen really easily in laptop with dust buildup over time.

7. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    I bought a Dell in 1999 and I had it for 5 years before I gave it to my ex~wifes uncle. And he had it another 4 years and then he passed it on to his friend and as far as I know it ran another 2 years. So in other words, if you take proper care of your PC it can run a very long time. It's not going to last very long if you start overclocking and doing stupid stuff to it.

8. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    A friend of mine actually called me one morning to complain about this issue of overheating of her laptop. I asked if she used to charge it while working with it and she said no. I couldn't understand it's probably dust problem that caused it. I was thinking it's one technical problem but since it's just dust build up, I would simply tell her to take it to a technician to have it cleaned up.

9. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah it's most likely a dust build up. Powerful and/or badly designed laptops are most likely to have that problem, though it could be that she's not making sure that the laptop has enough airflow by putting it on a flat surface. Either way, she should not use it until it gets fixed, otherwise hardware damage will likely occur. If that were to happen, replacement parts/hardware could be hard to find and she would probably just have to buy a new one.

10. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It seemed like I was always having problems with my computers, and thankfully, either my sons or my daughter was usually able to repair the problem and save my data. But still, it was always an issue that had to be dealt with. Then, even if it was not malfunctioning, there was always the worry about a new virus attacking computers before they had an anti-virus for it. It seemed like a big part of each day was spent just running the anti-virus protection, anti-spam, and anti-bot programs, and still it seemed like a computer could get infected one way or another, even when a person was careful what you did online.
    Now, I just use my iPad for everything, and it lasts forever, doesn’t everheat or get viruses, and it is easy to get the latest software updates.
    There is just NO way that I would ever even consider going back to some old dinosaur of a desktop (or even a laptop) computer. It is so nice to be able to relax in my big comfy recliner and use the iPad, and it does everything that I need.

11. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    You are right about the airflow thing with using a laptop. I think I had this experience with my laptop when I first bought it. I happened to place it on my bed while using it, before I noticed both the bed it was placed on and the system itself was awfully hot. I asked why and I was made to understand that it's not proper to place a laptop on a foam while using it because it prevents air from flowing through and out of the system.

12. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Dust flow is one aspect of maintenance I've always neglected. Nonetheless, the dust hasn't seemed to have caused problems. Maybe the dust coming in just never was enough.

After installing a new anti-virus, it has stopped. However, though, now my computer has no anti-virus (due to some financial problems), but the blue screen thing still hasn't returned.

13. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    Why ? It's the easiest one to do/fix. I regularly clean my pc's fans and heatsinks from dust, even apply thermal paste as needed. Don't forget that the dust acts as an insulator, and even if it doesn't cause any problems immediately, it will raise hardware operating temps which might harm your pc in the long run. One advice though. Don't vacuum clean your pc since it generates static electricity which could cause shorting. You could easily use an air compressor instead to blow out the dust.

14. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    You are absolutely right @mbuzma@mbuzma about the dust effects on computer systems or laptops. I asked one of my technician friends some of the things that causes overheating in systems and he told me airflow is one of it and dusts another thing that makes systems vulnerable to overheating.

15. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Even if you are not a gamer, a gaming PC is the best option. They are more durable and they can handle abuse much more better. Gaming PC can lost longer and doesn't overheats like most pc's.

16. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    That's not necessarily true. A GTX 1080 that is mostly used in gaming pc's generates far more heat than, say, a GT 1030 that can even be passively cooled and is probably a typical card for many business machines. I do agree that more expensive components are also generally more durable, and will usually last longer despite generating more heat. You get what you pay for after all.

17. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I think the usage period depends on the quality of the computer, my computer works for 7 years now but I had to change its source two years ago. My PC is not a quality one, the cost was around 200 dollars for the unit.

18. fishbate

fishbateNew Member

Threads:
    A good set of hardware and the right maintenance can keep a computer last more than 5 years. The only problem is the hardware might not be as efficient anymore,it may be obsolete. A combination of software and hardware maintenance will do. Utility software and antivirus software will keep your operating system protected. Hardware maintenance like keeping your ventilation system clean and checking for visual wear and tear . Its a bit time consuming but i do maintenance schedule on a 3 months basis just to make sure that everything works well.:)

19. kylewalkerup

kylewalkerupNew Member

Threads:
    It can last for years as there is no expiry date. The only problem will be, you won't be able to use the latest software, Operating system versions and the latest video games on your old computer. You won't be able to upgrade that too much.

I can still find Pentium 2 desktop PC in the market with PS2 ports for Mouse and Keyboards and those PCs are at least 20 years old. Still running Windows 98 or hardly Windows XP on them ;);)

20. banglangtim20

banglangtim20New Member

Threads:
    Muốn máy haotj động và có tuổi thọ lâu dài chúng ta nênMuốn máy hoạt động và có tuổi thọ lâu dài chúng ta nên chọn những hãng máy tính tốt