How long can harddisks last?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by daimashin • Aug 11, 2014.

1. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    What is the average life span of a hdd? Let's say, it's used daily for about 8 hours a day with constant accessing and loading. How can I tell if the hdd is dying or is starting to reach its end?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I guess more than 5 years, since the one that I'm using right now is HP and was bought in 2009 and has no problems whatsoever until now. When you search the net, everyone has their own opinion of how long a hard drive is likely to last, but they say a hard drive is likely to last at least up to 4 years.

Source:

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a Dell computer that I recently retired. It's 10 years old and still works, so a hard drive can last a long time if you maintain your computer and take care of your stuff.

4. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    Friend, you are forgetting what may be the most important component to your question: what type of hard drive? Is it a traditional hard drive, is it SSD?

The heat and wear of mechanical components is a scourge in normal discs. If you really want a durable hard drive, your first choice should be an SSD. I have heard SSDs should run five to ten times longer than regular drives (of could "should" doesn't mean "guaranteed to run", but eliminating the biggest factors for failure sure helps a lot).

If you also want data protection, you should buy more than one disk. If it is some kind of RAID setup, the better (even if a simple RAID-1 with two disks).

5. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    Most hard drives don't break as long as you don't destroy it on purpose. Most HDDs will outlive graphics cards and processors. The one in my old PC is 12 years old now and it still works without a problem. I had to change the graphics card once though, because it broke.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mine has been working since the year 2000. The HDD has never required changing

I'm of the opinion that a HDD can survive as long as your PC lasts or at least until that tech is obsolete. I don't know about the newer PCs. Maybe their HDDs are designed to last a shorter time so you can keep the manufacturers in business. I guess that's something I have to find out myself when I get myself a new P.C.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Right now I use two 250GB hard-disks that I bought 8 years ago. One of them is starting to act strange (clicking noises) so I plan on buying a replacement as soon as I find a good deal. In the past I had (and still have) smaller HDDs (80GB) that work perfectly fine to this day. I'm guessing that with some luck and proper handling (no dropping/dust/etc) they last for a very very long time.

And since we talk about them, here's a super interesting video about how HDDs work:

[video=youtube;Wiy_eHdj8kg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wiy_eHdj8kg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

8. PhilA

PhilAMember

Threads:
    Maybe i have been lucky but I have never had a hard disk fail on me. I leave them on 24/7 and am constantly writing to them too. I can understand not wanting to take any risks though, if my hard disk failed and I lost all of my info I would not be happy.

9. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Well at most 5 years or more. My old laptop's hard disk is still up and running until now and that bad boy just turned 8 years old last summer. But it all depends on the build quality and how much abuse it takes. My new laptop's hard disk, a 1TB drive lasted for only 1 year before it went completely nuts but that's all my fault because I format the drive every week. So it really depends on the way you use it, but on average I'd say about 5 years.

10. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    The average hard disk lasts for about 3 to 5 years even more if you take really good care of it and it you're not abusing it. One of the things that can severely cut your hard disks life span is by formatting your drive often. It can create a lot of bad sectors in your drive which will result to either your drive crashing or just completely going useless.

My PC's hard disk still runs up until now and it's almost 6 years old. Granted it was just a spare drive and not the main one but still it's pretty tough considering the fact that my brothers hard disk went dead after 2 years. There are a lot of factors that can affect the longevity of hard disks, especially physical damage since it has a lot of mechanical parts that are moving so if you're laptop was bumped harshly while transferring files it can damage the drive.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on your use or abuse. Mine lasted for only 3 years after it crashed and accumulated enough bad sectors to make a whole country cry in despair. But it's entirely my fault because I've been too harsh with that drive, I sometimes just throw it in my bed and it bounces off the walls violently.