How long do you keep laptop?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Mayvin • Aug 3, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've had my current laptop for about five years and its still working well. It has gotten viruses a few times but it was easily taken care of. With how quickly the electronic world is changing I was wondering how often you change your laptop for a newer more updated version?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never get myself any new laptop or gadget as soon as the new model hits the market. I use it until it dies. It takes a while for that to happen but on average it takes like 7 years. I don't buy all that talk about newer versions being better, etc, etc. If it's working, use it — that's my motto.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought myself a new laptop three years ago, and since then, the only expense I have had so far, was when my keyboard needed to be replaced, which cost me $105, as my warranty had just run out. Apart from that, I had to have it cleaned once when it started to get too hot. I have never had a problem with viruses, using a free virus protection software that I downloaded from the internet. So, all in all, I am quite happy with my laptop, considering how much it has been banged around during my travels.

4. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    Well, I continue to use my laptop for as long as it can serve me. I got my laptop, a HP-Compaq laptop PC, some 4 years ago. I still use it today because it still works perfectly well. The only thing I have against the laptop is the battery - it's almost useless. In fact, I started a thread where we discuss about laptops and their battery life. You can join the discussion here

5. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I've had 2 laptops. The first was an HP and I think it lasted 5 years before it died, the hard drive had to be replaced when it was 3 years old and at 5 years the processor died. Then my MacBook now is 4 years old, still working but it's staring to fail a little bit. I'm hoping it lasts me another year as I don't have the money to replace it now, but it looks like the logic board is going to fail soonish. The sd card slot stopped working and the trackpad is all crazy (moves on it's own). When this mac was a couple of weeks old the trackpad moved like that and I took it to warranty and they said they replaced the entire board so I'm assuming it's the same thing happening now. I think it's not worth it taking it to get repaired since the repairs are going to be expensive and the computer is starting to get outdated. I would use it till it dies then sell it for parts to make a couple of bucks, the display is still perfect and other parts are still working.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've been using mine for over 5 years now and it still works great. The battery has kind of degraded, as I used to be able to get about 3 or 4 hours out of it with a slightly minimal use but nowadays it only lasts me about nearly 2 hours. It's still very good though and I appreciate that it still runs very fast for a fairly old device. It still has little to no lag every time I click on something aside from the occasional glitch and also it sometimes slows down when I fill up the hard drive too much.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I keep my laptops until they no longer work. I have two ThinkPads. One is so old that I am running Linux on it. I'm not exactly sure, but it could be 10 years old. My other laptop is at least 5 years old. It works well, but I won't be able to upgrade to Windows 7. I'm still using Windows XP. I will be buying a new laptop, mostly likely a Chromebook, in the next few days. But I will still hold onto my old ThinkPads.

8. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I used to change my laptop yearly when I played a lot of games, but these days I stopped gaming so I have the same laptop for a few years now. If I don't need more hardware power, for gaming or work, I honestly see no reason in changing it - why pay for something I won't use? The laptop I'm using now, for browsing the web and posting here and there is pretty weak, but it's enough for my needs :D

9. Betsyake

BetsyakeMember

Threads:
    I also keep my laptop for five years. Its appearance looks well, but works slowly, so I have a plan to buy a new one. What do you want to buy if your laptop can't work at all? I see some discounts on official website of HP. Maybe, I would choose a type.

10. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I keep mine until they are no longer functional at all. My first one died, my second was an XP, which I only replaced when I found I could no longer do basic things with it due to lack of updates. I'm not really into the latest and greatest, I just want something that works and want to keep it as long as it works. Get the most for my money out of it.

11. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    My laptop is about to turn 5 years old this year. still working ok and will intend to use it for as long as it can go. At this time, only the battery is dead.. i mean.. needed replacement.. but I never bought a battery because I just plugged it directly on the socket. no need for battery.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I keep mine for as long as it works. It's very tempting to keep upgrading as and when newer models come out, but how realistic and affordable is it for most people? It's definitely not for me. Plus I get too attached to my possessions, I couldn't toss them after a short while all because there's something newer and shinier. Luckily, we don't get many viruses if any on Apple products; which I much prefer!

13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I've only had two laptop computers in my life: the previous one and the current one. I had my previous laptop for about 6 years. We shared a lot of sleepless nights together during college when I was extremely busy doing research papers and theses. I ate dinner in front of my laptop, I even slept in front of my laptop. When it finally said goodbye, I kind of feel really sad because that laptop really has a huge sentimental value to me. :(:D

14. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    It it was just me, I'd like to keep my laptop for as long as I could. However, most of my laptops just last an average of 5 years tops. My last one lasted for about 4 years until it just stopped working last December which is why I was forced to buy my current laptop. I'm still planning on getting my older laptop fixed though because I'm planning on turning it into a part of my entertainment ecosystem that I'm currently building at the moment.

15. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    If you've futureproofed your laptop enough, i.e. bought high end parts that won't go obsolete and can still compete with current models even after a couple of years, then I say maybe 5 years is the right duration. I recently bought a refurbished laptop with an i7 core and an SSD, so I don't expect to be upgrading anytime soon.

16. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I usually keep it until it starts to go badly wrong for whatever reason. I've had my current one for about 2 years and I expect to have at least a couple more years use out of it. That said, if I can get more power/speed/memory for a lot less money then I would consider getting a new one later in the year.

17. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    My laptop is about to turn 4 years old. It has a sentimental value added to it and so I have no plans of changing it or buying another one. It is still in good condition, runs a bit slow, but all in all, it works just fine. I rarely used it since I have this PC which I uses all the time. Sometimes I bring my laptop whenever I'm out of the house or whenever I am on a trip so I can still do my online works.

18. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Laptops can last for a decade if you replace the battery every couple of years and replace the HDD every four or five years. I swap laptops every couple years out of personal preference for newer electronics, but there's no reason person can't keep their favorite laptop for many years without experiencing problems.

19. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    As an avid PC gamer I buy a new laptop every few years so that I can play newer games, as the specs slowly crawl upwards. I don't dispose of my old laptops though, I either sell them or use them for work purposes.

20. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As long as it lasts. I don't do anything intensive on a laptop, since I have a good desktop, so I don't need upgrades too often.