How long do you keep laptop?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Mayvin • Aug 3, 2014.

1. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    I had a sturdy-looking HP laptop that lasted about 6 years. The specs became so outdated (or perhaps tech moved so fast) to the point where it couldn't handle, say, Youtube or other flash-heavy sites. Then I had an Acer netbook that ran into serious problems after 3 years of daily use. I'm still looking into trying to fix that one up as it was extremely useful. I find the biggest problem I have run into after having a laptop for a while is the keyboard enduring wear and tear. Now I use keyboard protectors in hopes of increasing their lifespan and keeping the keys safe from wear and dirt.

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've had my current laptop (and desktop, as well) since around 2007, and it's still working. I don't use the laptop much, other than for social media, email, and streaming movies, but so far, so good. I use the desktop daily, and it still works well. I also don't feel it's necessary to buy the latest fads. I'd rather stick with what works, until it doesn't. I am considering getting a tablet when I have some cash, and use my iPod touch quite a bit for posting on social media, and for games.

3. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I just discarded a laptop that I used for eight years. As long as I could use it for my business, it didn't matter that it wasn't the latest model. Now, I must replace it, and it will be a treat to get a more up to date model. Once I purchase one though, there is no keeping up with the Joneses. I will buy quality and have it for a nice long while.

4. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had a laptop. But I had the desktop before this one for ... I don't know---I wanna say "15 years," but I'm only 33 and got that desktop in my 20's; but I'm pretty-sure it was more than 5 years.
    But the general consensus I read here matches what might be the Don'tPayFull technology-motto: 'Get the Use You Can Get Out of It Until It Dies for Good.'

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always chuckle at questions such as this, purely because if you guys knew how cheap I was then you would not ask me lol. Not that these threads are posted just for me lol. But I will keep a laptop, or anything else that was relatively expensive when it was first purchased, for as long as it works. Even if there are features that do not work, as long as the bulk of it works the way that I want it to, I'll keep it until I absolutely have to get a new one.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a hard question I probably can't answer properly. My laptop is about to turn five years old. I want to continue using it for as long as possible but the specs are rather outdated. Although it was fast and really convenient to use during its first two years, my laptop has now become laggy and difficult to navigate. An ad-producing virus has also prevented me from using it as I see fit. I think I'll change to a new model hopefully next year. I'd prefer the one with an i5 or 17 processor. Every five years is better, I guess.

7. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    I don't change my laptop according to gaming needs or anything that falls in that expensive category. I do play games, sure, but I won't make a bank credit just because I want to play the latest Call of Duty game on an Alienware laptop, then spend my entire life in the street, haha.
    I have a more pragmatical approach: As long as the laptop can work and accomplish my daily tasks efficiently, it can stay. If it can't, I sell it so I can afford a newer one, but usually that won't exceed the $600 price range.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had the same problem with my HP. It was a really nice, durable machine.. but suddenly, I couldn't watch youtube anymore or anything that required videos on any platform. Drove me bonkers. I still have that one sitting here and wish I could use it, but it's become inconvenient. The one I have now is only a year old I think.. I'll keep it till it can't be used for whatever reason. I'm not into maintenance that requires replacing parts, so I'm sure my pile of old computers will quickly grow.

9. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I keep laptops until they no longer function for basic use. I usually buy them used on craigslist cheaply and then use them until they die. If it starts to seem slow, I wipe it and install linux, which usually speeds things up nicely. I only need something that's basically functional and has a good battery.

My partner is a gamer. He needs a higher powered more expensive machine and he replaces them every two years. BUT the up side is that type of machine is still actually worth something in two years. Not anywhere near what he paid for it but at least something.

10. Obvcynicae

ObvcynicaeNew Member

Threads:
    My current laptop is fairly new, and it's a ThinkPad. I normally keep my laptops for a fairly long time; a few years, at the very least, because upgrading too often is bothersome (the transfer and redownloading of important files & programs, to be specific, is what I find most bothersome indeed), and also costly--especially when newer, better technology is almost always just around the corner. The last laptop I had, though, died rather quickly--which was quite sad. It was a Macbook, and somehow, I must've been quite unlucky when buying it, because after around 2 years, it had a SSD failure. Now, I'm waiting to see if I can get that fixed without spending a fortune, but I might just leave it be.

11. Maciej

MaciejNew Member

Threads:
    I had a Lenovo Z575 for almost 4 years. I travel a lot and it held up really well. Unfortunatly it's hardware as done by AMD. They messed up something with power drivers and it created a spark at motherboard that killed it's keyboard and touchpad. Anyway I bought another Lenovo, this time with Intel/nVidia hardwer. I hope it'll turn out well!

12. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    As long as it gets the job done. I personally hate those people that just buys whatever comes out new every year regardless of how much change or how useful the device is going to be even if they still have a perfectly functioning device from 2 years ago. I have my laptop for 3 years now and it still works superb since the day I bought it up until now.

13. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I run my laptops into the ground, haha. My first one lasted five years, the second one lasted just shy of seven. Though I spent nearly as much repairing that second one as I would have on a new computer, so I’ll change that habit with my current one. I’ve had this one almost a year. I’m trying to use it less often and less heavily than the first two, so hopefully it’ll last longer than the first and I won’t have to repair it as often as the second. Even if I could afford to buy the latest, greatest model, there’s simply no need.

14. kofter128

kofter128New Member

Threads:
    Usually I would get a new PC/laptop every two to three years, just because I'm a casual gamer and I want a somewhat powerfull computer to play some new games. But in the end it really depends what kind of laptop you are getting. Of course there are factors like the build of the laptop itself, you would want a strong build so it can physically handle the time. Then you want quality hardware inside, and last but not least, the laptop needs to be cleaned and the thermic paste in it needs to be changed every 6-12 months. I can't stress this enough! I have friends who've had laptops for a couple of years now which have never been cleaned/opened for any kind of diagnostics and said friend's laptop would start restarting/shutting down randomly, at which point it's too late to do any maintenance and you might as well buy a new one. The laptop is like a car, it has to be maintained, people just realize that when it's too late :)

15. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I've had two laptops and they have both died in 2 and a half years or so. I was a huge Hewlett Packard fan, so I got their laptops, but they overheat so much that it's just not worth it.

Right now I'm saving up to get a new one, but I still haven't decided which one I am gonna get.

16. PaulSpec

PaulSpecNew Member

Threads:
    My laptop is about to turn 5 years old this year. still working ok and will intend to use it for as long as it can go. At this time, only the battery is dead.. i mean.. needed replacement.. but I never bought a battery because I just plugged it directly on the socket. no need for battery.

17. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    It is not a good financial decision to replace your laptop too often. My goal is to make my laptop last at least 4 or 5 years (my expected lifespan of a laptop.). I wait until the laptop is hard to work with already or it dies a honorable death. Only then do I check on a new model.

Though for the new laptop, I planned to get one that will not be absolute in a year since I am a gamer. Not a good way to game on a laptop, but I got one that is good enough for them.

18. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    A lap top can last me years, it all depends on its performance though. I always try and get the fastest laptop I can to handle my work load, there is nothing worse than having to wait for pages too load when you are trying to get things done. I change the battery on my laptop once a year to to maximize performance.

If I know there is a laptop out there better than the one I have, I tend to buy it, nothing wrong with keeping up!

19. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I've been able to keep my laptop for a while. We had it for over 6 years right now. Now, it kinda lags from time to time but that it is just from ram problems. As long as you keep up with you stuff then it will last for a good while.

20. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    I try to keep mine for as long as I can. I really do not like to go out and be one of those people who just buy new things because they are coming out on the market I like to buy things that I know are of good quality and that they will be able to last a long time for me.