How long do you keep laptop?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Mayvin • Aug 3, 2014.

1. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    My current laptop has been servicing me for 4years now. I have to say, it doesn't work as effectively as it was when it's still somewhat new. It's lagging all the time now and the keyboard is a pain. Some letter keys are stuck and you have to hit hard for letters to work. I'm thinking of getting a new laptop and maybe I'll try Mac this time.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As someone who generally only buy items that are actually needed - as well as only replaces items when its absolutely necessary - meaning whether it be clothes, cars, electrical appliances, electronic devices/gadgets or whatever - items are only ever replaced when they are no longer doing the job they were originally designed to do or in the case of appliances, electronic devices or cars - are beginning to cost a lot in repairs

In answer to the question - I keep mine a long time - in fact as both my laptops - one of which was bought in 2003 and the other in 2007 - are still performing and functioning perfectly - think it highly unlikely that I'll be considering replacing either any time soon.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also hold onto my gadgets until they stop working. I don't upgrade once new specs come out because it can be rather costly. Only when the gadgets dies do I upgade, especially if it's a laptop or pc.

4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to keep my laptops for between two to three years. I find that's the best period of time to keep them. As the technology gets better and better, that process can be sped up though. If you keep them much longer than that then you typically have to start paying for repairs, or they start slowing down a bit. Also, if you carry them around a lot for work and travel as I do they can get banged up. The higher caliber model you buy, the longer you will be able to keep it. I know I had an Apple laptop I kept a lot longer than some of the Microsoft based laptops I've had.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tend to keep my laptops until they die or it costs too much to fix them. Some laptops are built to last and others seem to not be worth a lot. I have had a few since 2005. This thinkpad I am on now...was not new..but it seems to work pretty well. My Asus which is only about a year old has already had a trip to the shop.. actually 2,but one was because I splashed some coffee on it, silly me!

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am on my 3rd laptop, I had a desktop that still works but it is very slow, the desktop is about 10 years old. I work on two laptops right now, one is very slow and needs to be replaced as the hard drive got a serious virus and crashed, a friend has the laptop working on a OS that is not supported, it will not last much longer. My other laptop is a Compaq, it runs hot and is more than 5 years old.

7. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I am always a proponent of the whole "if it ain't broke don't fix it" idea, and I have to say that if it is still going strong then there is no reason to upgrade. I tend to take mine until the end, which is usually about four years on average. There have been a couple of times when I just got frustrated, though, and needed to go out and get a new one. I have learned, though, and am pretty good at making them last, which is important for the old wallet.

8. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhyaMember

Threads:
    I keep my Laptop until it works well for me. I always get it repaired when it has problems. I am a bit nostagic when it comes to Electronics. I don't like giving away my Laptop in order to buy a new one. In fact, I usually buy the latest and greatest Laptop from time to time, but I never throw them away. I have been taught to respect the tools which make our jojb easier. So I do keep them forever.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the quality I guess, my first laptop I got used from my dad and it lasted me around 3 years. The second one was by HP and I hated it, it was very fragile and didn't last that long. After that I got a Dell one which broke on a trip and now I own an Asus which i love and have had it for 3 years with no intention of replacing it any time soon.

10. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    My answer is simple: I keep my laptop until it gives up on me.

To be honest, I am very much a thrifty person. I don't spend mindlessly on material things. Food, yes, since I don't really believe on scrimping in what we eat. But with gadgets and other material things, if I can save money on them, why not?

I don't buy the latest laptop just because I want to. I only buy one if I need to. And that does not happen a lot since most laptops last super long on us. We have had our HP laptop for at least 6 years before it died on us.

11. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve had this laptop long enough for it to make an obnoxious noise. I think it hasn't had any viruses. That's a plus because the past computers I had, I had something to do with them messing up... They always messed up because I wasn't good with computers in the past. I used to click no or yes to strange popups. I tried to watch anime on a site before, and then it horribly messed up the computer. But now I know my way around a computer so this one hasn't been messed up with viruses. I had this laptop for like 5 years or more. I'm already ready to toss it out of the window because of this crazy noise it makes haha. It really needs to have a replacement made, or it needs to be replaced altogether. So yeah I keep a computer for a while now that I know how to use them better. :p

12. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    Well as long as the laptop is still fully functional then it stays. It makes no sense to buy a new one if your current laptop is still working fine, not unless you're one of those idiots who thinks having the latest one is always the best.

I have a Samsung laptop that I bought back in 2012 and up until now I still use it for work and for everyday shenanigans. Although I've since upgraded to a PC due to performance reasons, I still have my laptop handy for when I have to go out of the house and into the field to work remotely.

13. CaptainOblivious

CaptainObliviousMember

Threads:
    Over time, my average laptop has lasted me about 3 years. I always buy the top of the line model, as I feel it has the maximum probability of being usable a couple of years in the future, and receiving all updates.