How Long Do Your Light Bulbs Last?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Diane Lane • Mar 16, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I couldn't believe when a friend in another state mentioned on Facebook the other day that she just spend around $12 for a pack of 4 incandescent light bulbs. I thought for sure she must have meant LED bulbs, but she didn't. I don't know if someone marked the item the wrong price, but that's outrageous. I later saw an advertisement on Twitter for discount light bulbs and tagged her, so hopefully she was able to take advantage of that. I used to have a nice stash of bulbs, but I've since burned through them, and it's time to purchase some more. If I had the money, I'd invest in LED bulbs, but I don't have the up front funds right now to do so.

2. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    I bought a big box of 12 great value light bulbs from Walmart.. paid about $10 for them. They last quite awhile though. I bought the box about a year ago, and still have 5 left I believe.

3. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I use the regular incandescent light bulbs, and that's because I have cheap electricity anyway. I'm not that worried about the cost of each of them. I had my apartment for four months before one of them blew out in the bathroom. I don't use the lights as much as most people do anyway.

I cannot be in my house and have it as bright as mid day on any night because I just hate it like that. I don't know why people do that, but it's not me. And I had another apartment for 3 years, literally don't remember ever needing to change any of the bulbs. I used to have these light setups where it would be 3 or 4 lights on at the same time.

I made it so only one was working, and then like once a month, I'd just turn that one off and use another one.

4. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't seen any incandescent light bulbs in a very long time. All the lights in the house are the new low-energy florescent tubes. I haven't really kept tabs on their usable life. In one year, I may change only one or two. So I suppose they last at least six months to a year. I think it's the switching on and off which wears them out faster. I distinctly remember having to change the one in the kitchen more often than the one in the living room. The one in the living room is usually switched on in the evening and is not switched off until bedtime whereas the one on the kitchen is switched on and off every time someone goes in and out of the kitchen.