How Long Have You Been With Your Home Security System?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by MrsJones • Feb 9, 2016.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    When we purchased our house we also got a home security system. We gave it up after bouts with the rules that the police station had that we weren't aware of. The service contract was for two years and would have renewed the contract if it wasn't for being notified that we were going to be charged for a cruiser arriving at The House due to a false alarm. We were only allowed less than five accidental calls a year. If that was in the contract I didn't see it.

Any way, we are considering the new wireless alarms that are available. How long have you been with your home security service, and have there been any incidents that annoyed you with it?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Honestly, we still have to install a security system after being in this house for almost 15 years now. When we moved in, we were warned by the neighbors of the prevalence of thieves. House break-ins are occurring every week and there were even a homeowner who was killed by an intruder.

Our security for now are the night lights that we leave overnight. One in the terrace, another in the grotto, 2 in the garage and driveway and 1 in the backyard. So far we are spared of an incident. But we are also alert and we have our 3 dogs who give us warning of unusual movements near our property.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't used my home security system for several years. I just got tired of paying for it. The fact that it would go off unexpectedly at times too was a real pain. I do have some of the signs up though which I think is a crime deterrent. Burgulars would be unlikely to come here though as there are always cars here and there are nicer houses on the street.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    We've been with the same company for almost 15 years. We get a nice discount for being loyal customers. My husband did want to try the new wireless home monitoring system that you can do from your phone or tablet. We went through installing it and then realized it was a horrible system. The outside cameras would not cover our pool area which is what we wanted to keep an eye on and the installation was so terrible that we had them come and remove everything and we went back to our old alarm system.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    This is exactly why I started this thread. Thank you for an insightful response @purplepen88@purplepen88. When we wanted to go back to our old security system they said they only do the wireless systems now. I didn't believe it though. I would think that they still have customers who have hardwired security systems that the company still services.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We also had one in our house at first; but I was afraid of using it because of accidentally setting an alarm off one time, and the police showed up.
    We still have the signs up out in the yard; but we do not pay for the alarm system anymore. Mot of the time, we are at home, and we have one of those outside lights that are motion-detectors, and they come on even when the neighbor's cat comes through the back yard.
    Most of the time, we do not even have the doors locked, except for when we go to bed at night. I think that some of the cable companies are also offering home monitoring services, and can even set up cameras inside , so you can see your house when you are not home.