How Low Do You Think You Could Get A Weeks Food Budget Down To?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Hedonologist • Feb 14, 2015.

1. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Assuming this was a one off, ultra-frugal week. How cheaply do you think you could eat for, for an entire week? I think I could do it for just under £10, assuming I was allowed to use condiments that I already have in the cupboard. Mostly potatoes, and beans.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can do with more or less $5. This method isn't healthy but it effectively helps you avoid spending more than necessary: eating instant noodles and canned goods the whole week through. Instant noodles are so cheap where I'm from so you can buy 24 of them for five bucks. This much noodles will allow you to go through the whole week for only $5, equivalent to around 15 canned goods.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just for myself I can do it on $15, yogurt, peanut butter and jelly, black beans and rice and cereal. That maybe less than $15 and I need my coffee. The instant noodles are good to add also to make the meals more satisfying.

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I would put it at around $15 for a reasonably balanced diet. Tofu, bread/potatoes and cheap seasonal fruits should cover all the basic food groups to a fair extent.

5. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I also agree with US$15 a week's food budget. this is the least I can spend for myself.. assuming the budget is for a SINGLE person and not for a family.. LOL.

6. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    The savings you can make for just eating instant noodles would probably not enough for paying your hospital bills for the sickness you can get out of it. instant noodles are coated with wax that is very bad for your digestive system.. not to mention the spices, MSG, and other unknown spices added on that "instant" seasonings... just saying.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I could probably do it on £10 too, although it would mainly be egg, chips and beans! Couldn't stand that for more than a week though!

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For just myself, I could get it down pretty low. I'm not a picky eater.

Let's see:

Large canister of quick oats 1.39
    Loaf of bread .89
    No name Peanut butter 1.49
    Saltines .99
    Rice .99
    Pasta 1.49
    tuna .89
    chicken 3.50
    a few cans of vegetables 2.00

I could have oatmeal for breakfast or toast with peanut butter. I could have peanut butter sandwich for lunch or tuna with pasta. I could snack on saltines plain or with peanut butter (low blood sugar, so sometimes need a snack). Chicken leg quarters go on sale here all the time, so that might even be less at times. I'd make the chicken into chicken noodle and chicken rice soup and I'd do chicken with pasta or chicken with rice for suppers with some of the canned veggies.

Roughly $15. I could actually go cheaper, but I think this is a decent menu/variety for the cost.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have done this at various times in my life and I can live on $10 a week. I do like ramen noodles, but I don't eat them every day. My list includes eggs for week to make omelets and boiled eggs for breakfast, bread, hummus (snacks) frozen vegetables, hash browns, soups, pasta and some fresh vegetables. You can be very creative with a few ingredients and eat well.

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think you necessarily have to eat unhealthy when eating cheap. You DO have to minimize what you are eating. However, eating less is not the worst thing. It just takes more planning & more effort than being free to purchase whatever you like.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a time I thought I could make-do with $5 a week. Saw it on the net and just had to find out for myself if it was possible to live on $5 a day. I almost made it through the week on rice only. So I suppose if circumstances compelled me [to] I could live on about $8 a week.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have needed to spend 20 to 30 bucks a week before on food. It was hard, specially living in an expensive area in California. But it is possible if you are making wise choices.