How Many Credit Cards Do You Own?

Discussion in Credit Cards started by Adeal4u • Jun 12, 2012.

1. indigo

indigoMember

Threads:
    I have two credit cards. I only use them to build up my credit score. I wish that it was not necessary to do this but it is in fact a necessary evil. I hope to have zero credit cards one day when I no longer need a good credit score. Credit is a blemish on humanity. It should have never been invented. I've been offered several more credit card offers. I could probably have ten credit cards but I refuse to take out that many because I fear identity theft.

2. bonniea

bonnieaMember

Threads:
    I have a few. It's all in how you manage the cards. I have one for online only purchases, because there is so much fraud online. This way if there is fraud on the card it is easy to cancel. I have another one I carry with me and use to charge things like gas and food. This way I can keep an eye on how much I spend in these areas. If used correctly credit cards can be a good thing. If you max them out and pay 30 percent in interest, then the bank is certainly winning the game by getting so much interest from you.

3. polybus

polybusNew Member

Threads:
    I only have one credit card now, and my wife only has the secondary card that was issued to me. It has made things so much easier to have everything go through one card. In the past I would sometimes sign up for new cards if there was a great promotion on, like extra travel points, but I have since stopped. I only really need the one card and it hurts your credit score to sign up for too many different credit cards.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have three.

5. rand paul

rand paulNew Member

Threads:
    Im like the op ive only got the one.
    Its safer than cash but it would be a lot easier to buy something on credit with a card.
    Im not a supporter of credit cards, they make overspending to easy,

6. savvygirl

savvygirlNew Member

Threads:
    I have 9, and none of them are maxed out. In fact, I keep in the habit of not charging more than I can pay off in full when the bill comes due. Only an emergency would have me charging more than that. Many of my cards go months carrying a 0 balance. It isn't bad having credit cards, you just need to be responsible with them. In fact they can really improve your credit score and are much easier in an emergency than trying to get a loan.

7. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    How do you manage 9 (!) credit cards? Do you have an excel spreadsheet to keep your balance? I don't think I could manage that many cards. :confused:

8. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Currently I only have one credit card because I never really saw the need to collect them. If there is no need so I just stick with one and so far I have never had a craving for more. I usually shop at stores and I get good deals already so having more credit cards would just get confusing for me.

9. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, 9 credit cards seems like a lot. I currently don't have any, but I'm still in (community) college, so the need hasn't really arisen. I'd like to stay as far away from them as I can, but I think it's unavoidable after a certain point.

10. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I also would like to find out Savvygirl how is it you're able to have 9 credit cards, and developing the discipline of not charging too much. I really admire your financial discipline. Personally, I am scared to have any credit cards. I only use debit cards. I don't think I have the discipline to handle one as yet.

11. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have a credit card when I was in college. Now, I don't have any credit card because I think cash and a debit card is enough for me. I don't want to spend money in advanced because I don't want to owe the bank. What I want is I am able to spend my money without having to worry about paying back later.

12. Flonkerton

FlonkertonNew Member

Threads:
    I've only got one, a Bank of America Travel Rewards card. It's pretty much only used for online shopping at Amazon, iTunes, etc. When I was much younger I used to have a Capital One card, but I never used it so I just never renewed it. They still send me junk in the mail trying to get me back, and I still get e-mails from them telling me that my 'statement is ready.'

13. Canadian Lover

Canadian LoverNew Member

Threads:
    I currently own one credit card which I got very recently. I went to my local credit union and make a term deposit of $500 CAD which I earn interest on. I've been paying off the balance every two weeks which mean I never pay interest. The real reason I got it was for convenience. So far it's been a good thing, since I use it properly.

14. fancy

fancyMember

Threads:
    I own only one credit card and as per my considered opinion I can still own more but the problem is my spending. I am a spender and a money waster if I can say….and though owned two last year I dropped one aside considering that this was slowly...Slowly…slowly ruining my credit score not directly but indirectly. When I compared the ratio of my credit utilization I only discovered that I was spending more than I earned meaning after I got my pay each month I had to owe more from my boss to make the payments hence I ended up dropping one of them.

15. kevin8624

kevin8624New Member

Threads:
    I only have one and I only have it for emergencies. I made the mistake of maxing it out once and that will never happen again. Now I just budget and save, if I really want something it can wait!

16. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    I've only got two.

The first is a crappy First Premier card, i got it because i had horrible credit and this was the first step in repairing it. I must say it did its job admirably in that regard, but i hate it.
    The other is a Discover IT card. I LOVE this card. Customer service at discover is amazing. I followed a promo where i was given a $75 amazon gift card with first purchase. The benefits are awesome, the points system has earned me over 150 since august. I dont think this card can be beat for my usage type.

17. makemoney22

makemoney22New Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I have owned two credit cards in my whole life, one of which, was an OSU Federal Credit Union (Oregon State University) Student Visa Credit Card, When I was dumb and 18 year's old. And yes, that Credit Card happens to be a maxed out Card, specifically, 3 day's after I got it (saying that with a chuckle). I finally wised up after that and started to pay the $600.00 limit balance off in small payment's of $25.00 a month, sometimes $30.00 to $50.00 a month.
    Now, that I was 3 year's older, moved to Southern California and obtained my first house, I thought I had to have a Capital One Visa Credit Card. This time though, I was smarter, so I would only spend the amount of money that I knew I could pay off each month, and I did, for awhile. Also, I would only spend it at places or on certain item's that offered a percentage of cash back reward points that offers cash back for each purchase. I was able to pay nine month's strait, until rent came, I needed $120.00 Cash Advance that my Capital One Card offered, that's when it went downhill.
    I had to move to Oklahoma out of all places, but to help my mother and not able to pay the two previous month's, it got worse. My leg was broken 4 day's after I moved back and was held up on the couch for 7 month's unable to work and unable to pay my maxed out Capital One Card. So, in conclusion I have one Credit Card as of now, that I have not been able to pay on for over a year now. My recommendation, do not get a Credit Card, especially with the economy right now in 2013 is not Credit worthy.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only have one credit card. It's not maxed out, I'm only using 35% of my available credit. I got the card to build a credit history because I had a thin credit file and I want to rent an apartment, which requires a good credit score.

19. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    I only have one, even that I don't use much anymore. I've pretty much completely moved to using a debit car now. I don't like overcomplicating matters of money and the idea of handling a lot of cards doesn't sound great to me.

Also, 9 credit cards?? How does one manage that?