How many earrings do you own and how many do you use?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Miaka_M • May 17, 2014.

1. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I actually don’t have pierced ears, so that precludes my being much of an earring person. I do have some old clip-ons that used to belong to my grandma, as well as a few pairs I bought from shops like Afterthoughts in my childhood (haha, showing my age there), but I rarely reach for them. And I’ve seen clip-ons starting to make a comeback, but I haven’t been really drawn to any of them either.

2. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I own a few pairs of earrings. But on a day to day basis, I do not wear them as my ears are very sensitive. I can only wear them on special occasions where I can take them off after an hour or two. This is frustrating as I would love to wear earrings everyday!

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love accessories, and have a whole host of bangles, bracelets, earrings, rings etc I honestly couldn't say how many earrings I have. I have some that I wear regularly and others that I reserve for special occasions. All I can say is that I have A LOT :)

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have my ears pierced either. Growing up and throughout my teenager years - when all of the other girls my age were crazy about getting their ears pierced - I wasn't too bothered about getting it done. It seems that I never really grew out of that mindset either, because I never pursued getting my ears pierced after the craze died down. I had a few ear cuffs and clip ons here and there too.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's awesome you had the choice :) Too many parents just make that decision for their little girls (and boys) with the idea that they're young and won't remember, so that makes it ok. So many things done to babies because of that one thought. I had the choice too, but I decided to pop a bunch of holes in my ears myself when I was a teen lol.. but, my body my choice.

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will confess to owning around 8 pairs of silver hoops, only two of which get worn. I rarely give much thought to jewellery on the whole and often don't bother with it at all. I find it quite annoying, especially heavy earrings and clanging bangles.

7. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Mine actually were pierced for a brief time when I was a tween. I’d been kind of jealous of all the earrings everyone else around me wore, but it turned out I did NOT like dealing with pierced earrings. It made me kind of squeamish. So I let the piercings close up. Sometimes I do wear ear cuffs, plus I do like other jewelry, so I don’t feel like I’m missing out on much.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I currently have around 5 pairs of earrings. In the past, I had the gall to collect as many as 10 (some were gifts from friends and relatives while some were fancy stuff bought at the malls). Although I really love wearing sparkly baubles, nowadays, unless there's an occasion that requires me to dress up, I refrain from wearing the fancy-looking ones. It's preferable to wear silver-coated or understated earrings for everyday use. They're more functional not to mention very affordable.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    I actually hadn't thought about that. I have always seen ear piercings, or piercings full stop, as something that children and teenagers were likely to beg their parents to get, and their parents would have to be swayed into agreeance. Though, on the other hand, I do know of many cases, where parents choose to get their baby's ears pierced. There is no choice for the kid involved there. My step cousin gave herself an ear piercing too lol.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, when they ask is totally different and most likely will.. babies can't do that though and there is no way to mentally prepare them for what they're about to do. I don't agree with doing anything to babies and children because I did it or it's how it's done etc. Same for circumcision (no, I won't get started lol) people have the same thoughts on that.. the parent did it, so their baby has to do it. "He's a baby, he won't remember". "I did it and I turned out fine!" lol. Ah well. none of my business, I just don't like forcing things on those who have no say.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have always hated that mindset - that 'we went through it, and we turned out alright,' crap! For all we know, certain babies are a lot more aware than we think, or than others. The trauma of the experience could do anything to them. I think that parents should just wait until their kids are old enough to make the choice. It's not like having a piercing is a matter of life or death, to where a decision has to be made so young.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly.. all in the name of fashion and looking the part or fitting in. Body mod. Babies. No flipping way! lol. I get it.. there are so many things humans do because it's always been done and it doesn't phase us anymore. I understand why people do the things they do.. but I also think it's time everyone wakes up and for god's sake, grow some empathy lol. It's easy to do unto others when it's no longer being done unto you. It's not a good enough reason.. you may have turned out alright, but that's one aspect of you that didn't..

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    You are basically teaching your child, from the time that it is born, that it is not okay for it to be how it was when it was born - that it essentially needed to be modified in order to gain acceptance and love, which in turn teaches conditional love. It may not teach this in all cases, but there is a message that is sent, for sure.There are a lot of people who feel they turned out ok, but actually didn't. They just think that their way is normal because it is their way, when in actual fact it is very problematic. It's crazy.