How many glasses of water do you drink everyday?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by eppie • May 15, 2014.

1. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    benefits.

Like most people, I also believe that drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day is beneficial to one's health. So even when I was still young I make it a point to drink plenty of liquids daily but it's not all pure water (I cheated and also include the cups of coffee in my count :D).

But now, I am slowly cutting down on my coffee intake and began increasing my pure water intake. I make it a point to drink at least 800 ml water daily and even got my own special mini-water jug to make sure I do.

How about you? How many glasses of water do you drink everyday? Are you seeing good results because of this practice?

Looking forward to your replies. :D

2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I do not actually count the amount of water I drink but it would likely be around 2L. a day. It would be more if I were to include coffee. In the summer when I am active, that number would increase to well over 4L. a day. Anything like coffee which is a diuretic should probably be a negative on the count in that it removes water, but it does help to flush the system.

I drink water to avoid being sluggish. A lack of water makes me sleepy. In that respect, water works for me.

The 8 glasses a day theory has been shot down in the scientific community. This number is apparently too high for most people because it is based on the volume of water we need and not the source. If you eat an apple or an orange or even a steak, it adds to your water intake. This can be included in your count but is harder to measure and usually isn't. You could probably live without ever toughing a glass of water if you were to eat a watermelon a day for example.

3. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    Lately I have been drinking about 7 bottles of water or more a day. This is surprising for me because I use to hate drinking water. I can really see improvement in my skin. Water is important to keep healthy.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I drink one gallon of water a day. I used to run long distances so drinking water was a huge part of that, at that time I was probably drinking gallons per day. Once I stopped running my water consumption went down and I found I had a hard time getting even the recommended 8 glasses a day in. I drink at least 2 glasses of water as soon as I wake up to jumpstart my day and then make sure to have at least 2 glasses every hour. If I get bored with it sometimes I squeeze some lemon into it.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I drink more than 8 glasses of water a day, as much as I can, much more during summer days. I've been accustomed to drinking water. It's my appetizer and my dessert. Before I eat a drink a glass. My main course is again coupled with water, and before I finish my meal, I end it with another glass of water or more. I drink again when I am in my training. I sweat a lot because I do heavy activities that's why I need so much to drink a lot of water.

6. nicole

nicoleNew Member

Threads:
    I drink about 8 glasses a day, because unlike a lot of people, I like the taste of water. Water is important!

7. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, everyone here is drinking so much water. I'm definitely lacking water, I drink sadly about 6 glasses a day. I've planned on changing this soon though. I know that water is really good for us especially our skin. During the summer days though, my water intake increases a lot because of the temperature and the dryness in my mouth. ^.^'

8. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Wow that's a lot for a runner! :D I started running just this month and from 300 ml - my pure water intake increase to 1 liter plus a day. I think I drink around 80% of that when I run and when I don't - maybe from 500 to 800ml daily. I've read somewhere that drinking just a glass of pure water a day can already do wonders for your health. Though I often wonder if it's true (with scientific basis). :)

9. Francy

FrancyMember

Threads:
    I generally try to intake 8 glasses a day as well. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I don't. When I was pregnant I especially made a point to drink as much water as I can! It was to the point when I wasn't thirsty anymore but I kept on drinking! It's amazing how vital and important water intake is. Sometimes I'll add some Crystal Light to my water bottle and it helps me drink more!

10. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I've read somewhat that ideally you should drink half your body weight in ounces a day. Now that's a lot of water. I'm lucky if I get 8 glasses in a day. To be able to drink 13+ glasses a day would be very difficult to me, but I have done it. I have to say kudos to all you guys that can drink that much water. To me, it's very challenging.

11. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't drink enough I'm sure but I drank water more than I did when I was younger. I've never counted. If I had to guess I would drink 500 milliliters a day. I usually don't take the time to do it because I always am busy doing work on the computer. I end up drinking Sprite with my meal because I find water to be too boring to go with food. If I'm thirsty enough I will definitely drink.

12. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Taking water is very important for me especially nowadays. I get thirsty really fast because I breast feed my baby and sometimes if I forgot to drink before she feeds then I will struggle with thirst before she is even finish breast feeding.

The weather in my town is very hot and humid too so if I stay indoor all day I still feel the heat. I drink more than a litter day and sometimes less. I drink a lot of tea as well and some coffee throughout the day.

13. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    For awhile, I was in horrible habits of drinking water. Whenever I'm not in a good workout routine, it's a part of my health that I tend to fall behind in. And I definitely notice a difference, when I'm drinking a lot of water and not. It just makes me feel better throughout the day and actually helps me want to go workout and run.

14. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know how much but I think I drink enough. It's hot so I tend to drink a lot and I like feeling refreshed. 8 glasses a day has always seemed to much for me but I guess the ideal amount is different for everyone. I tend to eat fruits and other food high in water, so that helps too. Drinking too much obviously isn't healthy and I've gotten dizzy a few times from too much water.

15. SpaceGuy

SpaceGuyNew Member

Threads:
    I am not really sure how many glasses but I drink about three liters of water a day. I have a 750 ml water bottle and I have at least 3 of those a day, I live a healthy lifestyle and I have acne prone skin so the water helps contain that. Also I feel hydrated all day so I have extra energy, and I have also read that by increasing your water intake to over two liters in increase your metabolism.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unlike most of the guys here I don't drink much water. Actually I don't even know how much water I drink. Maybe 500ml a day. Yeah, yeah, you'll say it's bad for you health, etc, etc but though I don't drink much water, I drink a lot of milk [you heard it right, milk] during the day. So I think that counter-balances everything.

17. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am somewhat lazy in what concerns about drinking water, but at work I do have a bottle of water by my side during the day. On the days I am doing sports I do drink a lot, minimum 1.5 liters before I exercise because I want to be fully hydrated when I start to exercise, it's the best medicine I know for a great workout.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I probably drink 8 glasses, if not then close to it, but I don't make a conscious effort to do so. It's just so hot here that it's only practical to drink a lot of water. Also, I prefer and have grown used to drinking a good amount of water with my meals, partly because I prefer having a fresh palate, and partly because it makes me full a bit faster as well so I don't end up eating too much. I think the required amount of water a day is a bit of a myth, though, and I've read a few articles online that have stated it as well, although I'm not really that sure of the credentials of the author as I never bothered to check.

19. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say Milk is a healthy option and replacement if you don't drink a lot of water. You're still getting hydrated and nutrients with the milk you drink. The issue that people run into is if they don't drink any water, juices, milk, etc and only drink sugary drinks like soda. That's where people get dehydrated and don't get the benefits of staying hydrated throughout the day.

20. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, you cannot add milk, coffee and other liquids to your water intake count - it has to be pure water. Though some time ago I was also like Denis as I also count my cups of coffee to my daily liquid intake. It is only now (that I run regularly) that I was able to increase my pure water intake. :D

#20Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014