How many of you take advantage of the free eBooks for your eReaders?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by clewand550 • Apr 25, 2012.

1. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I am not familiar with the Kindle but I know that Barnes and Noble has free eBooks that you can get for your Nook. Some of these books are good reading books. I know that you can also borrow free eBooks from both the library and from a friend or family member for 2 weeks for both the Kindle and the Nook? Does anyone take advantage of these great saving deals for your eReader?

2. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    Who wouldn't? If I had a Kindle or a similar device, I definitely would! I have an app on the iPhone though that had a TON of free ebooks, both classic and new. Stanza is the name. I prefer to the native kindle app.

3. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing this post. I will look into the Stanza app. I am always looking for new apps that will be useful and free.

4. Hickorycottage

HickorycottageMember

Threads:
    I do! I love to read, and I have Kindle on my phone. Sometimes when I am bored, I go free ebook shopping. I've read some types of literature I probably wouldn't have if I were paying for a book, and I think it has broadened my appreciation for literature.

5. mirage1440

mirage1440Member

Threads:
    I have a Nook and get free books all the time. Most of them are garbage romance books, but sometimes there are some good ones. Also, lots of libraries support e-books now and offer a whole library that you can borrow from. It's called Overdrive. Check to see if your town has it. You have to be a resident of the town offering it and books are available for 2 weeks on your device, then they automatically expire. I used it once, but unfortunately our tow does not offer this service. I'm hoping they will at some point.

6. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    Absolutely! I get all those free e-books that are available. I sometimes even wait for the free version or really look for them if I badly want to read that specific book. I even go to the library at times because those books are also free! I don't spend much on books only if they are really needed.

7. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I look every day on amazon at the discount section. Anything that's $1.99 or less that looks remotely interesting I download. Of course I will read pretty much anything so it's not a gamble at all.

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    At first I did look through the free books Barnes and Noble have, but there are very, very few I was interested in. It was easier to make use of the fact that the Nook reads pdfs. As such I really on have to run a search for free pdfs (legal of course) and I'm good. Also I have taken advantage of my public library's collection of eBooks, however I have also made use of library collections that can be found online.

9. Shaggz235

Shaggz235Member

Threads:
    I always whip out my phone and start reading it when I am on the pot at work or at home...I know some of you do this as well haha

10. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I do not own an eBook reader, but I am interested in purchasing one in the future, especially the Amazon Kindle. It shows that you can get thousands and thousands of free books because the copyright date is expired and they are quite old. When it comes to fiction, I usually only read the old stuff from before 1927 so it's definitely something I would take full advantage.

One thing I've noticed with all these readers is that the eBooks themselves are not much cheaper than the physical book. Why is that?

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a Kindle, but I downloaded the PC app. Now, I can take advantage of the free ebooks and even buy a few. ;)

12. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I don't own a reader but my daughter does. I will let her know about these suggestions and the websites mentioned on another thread in this forum. I just recently found out about the reader for the PC so I will have to download that this weekend. Eventually, I would like to get a Kindle Fire.

13. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    I recently got a Kindle Fire and I have downloaded several free books. So far the ones I have enjoyed the most are the classics, some of which I reread every few years. i am still exploring the lending library and the local library ebook options.

14. gorickeo

gorickeoNew Member

Threads:
    I used to take advantage of the free ebooks the only problem was the majority of them seemed really poor.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for if the books were any good or worth money they wouldn't be free the majority of the free books just seem very very poor.

Granted you get the odd few where the author is just wanting to become well known who release their books free and there may be the odd few out there that are actually good reads but in honesty I am yet to find them so if anybody has any recommendations please fire away :) after all if it's free I'd be more than happy to leave a review on what I thought of the book.