How many of you use Mint.com?

Discussion in Credit Cards started by richc3 • Jun 28, 2014.

1. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    If you're anything like me you have a couple credit cards, a bank account or two which branch out into smaller accounts, and a ton of passwords / logins. It really can be overwhelming at times and easy to forget a bill or two or how much money you have in your bank account.

Mint.com has been available for awhile, but it synchronizes with all your accounts and creates a detailed report on things like spending habits and alike. It can warn you when your balance reaches a certain point, or help you budget guidelines you setup. I know in one particular instance it even warned me when there was a suspicious charge on my account which did end up a stolen credit card. Now the problem with Mint though is that some banks and credit card companies feel that you waive liability by providing your login and password to 3rd party sources. Still, many choose to use Mint and it's owned and operated by the Big Dogs that make your tax software.

How about you? Where do you stand on Mint and do you use it?

2. Aquila

AquilaBanned

Threads:
    I have never really used it but yeah have heard about it especially when its about the things that you have highlighted they surely help us with knowing a lot and going ahead in a way ill be visiting it and surely will let you know about the things that you have asked.

3. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't feel like it's that big of a risk to use it since it's not owned by a no-name company and I've never heard anything bad about it. But I don't use it because I don't have that much bank accounts and I prefer being on the safer side even though a lot of people recommended it to me already. It's just something I don't need yet so I don't use it.

4. mercantile519

mercantile519Member

Threads:
    I have been using it for a while, but recently have gotten frustrated. The way it tracks some of my stuff automatically makes it so I have to go in and manually adjust a bunch of stuff. I can set something to be a certain bill or utility, and then the next three payments to that are all something different. It's annoying, but it's the best option for the price.

5. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    Mint.com is a good tool, but I have found their method of tracking where payments need to be attributed to as difficult and a little bit cumbersome. When I compare it to other sites like LearnVest and FinanceWorks, it does come out on top though. Of all of the sites I have tried, it has the most potential to help if you have the discipline to pay attention.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use Mint.com or Saveup.com because I don't see any real benefits to them. I can see all the same information by logging into my bank account or credit card website.
    I don't feel like I need to sign up for a website to keep track of one checking account and two credit cards. I think I can manage to keep an eye on 3 accounts without help.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mint.com is mostly useful for people that are terrible at managing their own finances or who have tons of banking accounts. I have tried it out a couple times, but I don't find it that useful for my needs. However, I know a handful of people that swear by Mint and similar services.

Fortunately, you don't really have to worry about any security or data breaches. They can happen, for sure, but Mint does use similar encryption to what you'd find with your online banking accounts. All of these accounts are susceptible to breaches, depending upon who's trying to gain entry, but Mint's encryption is strong enough to thwart most breach attempts.

I would recommend Mint.com, but only if you have tons of accounts or really need a constant overview of your entire banking situation.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't think it has anything to do with being "bad at managing their own finances." In fact, this is a great way TO manage finances. It's especially good if you have multiple student loans, bank accounts, credit cards, spousal accounts, and even investments (so not just debt...but also your investments/interest rates/etc). I happen to love it, but I don't use it as extensively as some people.

9. iam911

iam911Member

Threads:
    I don't use Mint, but I should. I don't think it's for people who are bad at managing their own finances. I think it's a very useful tool for people to see how much they are spending on different things. It also allows people to budget their expenses for the future. I don't think that I am bad at managing my finances, though I do eat out more than I would like to admit, but other than that, I only pay for the necessities, like electricity and internet. Other than that, I only buy groceries. For me, I think it would be a nice way to tell me how much I am spending each month and how much I will be able to save in the future.

10. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of it but am wondering what's the difference between this and say just banking online when you have several accounts with the same bank? After hearing some others talk about the reviews and how it can create an issue with their accounts I may just stick with what I've been doing.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Well if you ONLY have the different accounts through a single bank, then you can see your numbers there and this isn't going to change much. It's more for when you have multiple accounts.

That being said, Mint also has a lot of features like setting budgets and being able to see your trends over time. So for example, you can see how much you've spent on groceries over the last 6 months without having to go through and add up the specific transactions from your bank accounts. It does all the sorting and figuring for you.

12. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I really enjoy using Mint. It is a great app for students who never learned to budget their money properly. It has really helped me make some important decisions and avoid some really bad ones. It is a great tool and I recommend it to anyone. Happy spending! (but not too much).