How Many People Actually Complain?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Decentlady • Nov 5, 2016.

1. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Many a times we order stuff online and get disappointed for one or the other reasons. How many people actually decide to return the stuff or even lodge complain or rate the product substandard?

I am among those who usually keep mum.

2. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I recently purchased a 10 mtr USB cable through Amazon to power up my WiFi dongle. Before buying it I made it clear from the seller that it would work with my dongle and there would be no issues. But it was not working as intended and it kept on switching off and on in between. Then the seller advised me to buy another product called a USB power hub to make it work. So, I became totally frustrated.

I wrote to Amazon and they advised me to return product as per 15 days money back guarantee. I returned it and got the money back. But I had to bear the courier charges. I also expressed my displeasure by giving a low rating to that seller and wrote about my bitter experience.

I think candid feedback is really helpful for others in making a decision.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the item, the price paid, and the level of hassle to return it. I buy a lot of low cost goods on eBay. If something doesn't arrive, I will complain and if the seller doesn't respond, I'll open a complaint. If the item arrives and is sub-standard, it depends on the price paid, and whether I think it was an honest mistake or a scam. If I think it's a scam, it's much more likely that I'll proceed with a complaint.

I recently purchased something new on eBay that just didn't fit, although it was described just right, so I'm going to donate it. I don't see the need to go through the return process and pay for shipping, only to get a few dollars back. I know some small sellers like myself are barely getting by, and I'd rather not even hassle them about a return for a few dollars.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think people do complain more than you imagine, but it's more hassle and if the need it they won't. I will complain if the item is faulty, and most companies I buy from I always check their returns procedures beforehand.

I don't buy much from ebay or Amazon because it is more hassle to return it. The things I tend to buy are books or items I know will be okay. If it's just because you don't like it, that's another matter; some stores allow you to do that and others don't. They don't have to by law, but if there is a genuine issue then they have to.

5. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the worth of the item I bought online. If I buy a very expensive item like gold I will surely complain if it fails or I get disappointed. On the other hand if the product is a cheap one say not more than fifty dollars I may either complain or just let it go.

6. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Unless you are dealing with a reputable company, complaining online seldom yields dividends. The fact remains that a product ordered online invariably has some imperfections in terms of expectations at least some of the time. It may be colour or even make. The byword here is that the item has to be in good working order.

7. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    So far I haven't had a problems with already purchased items but with the sites customer service I've had too many. All I have done for now is write them emails in hopes that they will answer back. Most of the time I get quick responses and my problems solved. If I don't get any answer within 24 hours period I shop at another site.

8. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, that is also a factor deciding my course of action. I would not complain for something which is not so costly even though it is faulty or of no use to me. But I will do post my ratings and views about the product online. Moreover, if I have to return that product I have to bear the courier charges which would not be profitable for me either.

I think that is why most people still use offline shops. We can easily get it replaced with no extra cost and without wasting much time. Online return of products is quite time consuming. We need to track the movement of courier and also ensure that we got the money back finally.

9. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    This is one the main reasons why before shopping online one has to ensure he is dealing with a reputable trusted online shopping company. Reviews of customers about products from an online store matters a lot to these companies. I do not think a reputable online shopping site will intentionally not meet customers' expectation as this can affect business negatively in future.

10. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    When I feel that a certain establishment provided me a poor service or product, I will absolutely complain. Well not exactly complain but first I will ask the crew or whoever is responsible for the matter politely. I would want to know why this or that happened and why did they provided such item or service. However, it will also depend on the situation on how worst it could be, or if it's just not really a big deal to complain with, then I won't bother complaining. Unless it's something that's totally unworthy of my money.