How much did you pay for driving lessons?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by chocbunny • Aug 8, 2012.

1. chocbunny

chocbunnyNew Member

Threads:
    I'm thinking about starting driving lessons, but am struggling to find lessons for under £22 an hour! Does anyone have any tips for reducing the bill on lessons? I've seen those deals for 10 hours for £99, but I'm not sure how reputable they are, plus I'm guessing the cost would sky-rocket after those 10 hours are up.

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I learned to drive in 1988, so I can't remember how much I paid then, but I do remember that I chose my instructor through personal recommendation, rather than through an advert in the newspaper. Even after receiving several recommendations, I still asked to see his qualifications, and asked for a trial lesson. Some instructors offer trial lessons at a reduced price, or a special deal if you book a block of lessons.

I'd advise you to go to a self-employed instructor, rather than register with a big franchise such as BSM. An instructor who relies on good feedback for his living is likely to put more effort into getting you through the test successfully. A big franchise may be more interested in taking your money for longer.

3. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I wonder how many of us here paid to know how to drive. I knew how to drive when I was 11 years old. I never enrolled in driving class. What I did was I learned it myself with some help from my father. I was so familiar with the pedals and gears and steering wheel because I love to sit next to my father whenever he drives me to school. I would look closely on how he drives so I easily learned it by theory and by practicing. :D

4. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I took a driver's ed class in High School and I think it was free. My dad had already started teaching me to drive, but it was still very beneficial. I loved the discount that I received on my insurance because of this class.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I took it in high school, too, so all I had to pay for was the normal school fees that applied to all of high school...and then the driver's license fee that everyone pays. I got instruction from my parents outside of the class, too, as per required by the class itself, and didn't have to pay for actual lessons.

6. celltown

celltownNew Member

Threads:
    I had drivers ed in High School and it was free!

7. mansawalta

mansawaltaMember

Threads:
    Try to get one of your family member to teach you for free and practice a lot personally. Then when you are comfortable, get the ten lessons or a minimal amount of lessons just to polish up where you may not have known, or to get some extra confidence from a tutor validating you. Soon enough you will be ready to take a test and hopefully you will pass. Driving is not that hard, people just tend to make it seem so.

8. Banister

BanisterMember

Threads:
    I don’t pay for my driving lessons since the driving school I learnt from is headed by my grandfather. However it is like I somehow know a little stuff concerning the payment as I heard one my friends say that they only pay $18 for the entire driving course. I don’t think this is too much for someone ready to make a move on their driving experience.

9. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I never paid for driving lessons. Fortunately, my high school offered short classes. We got to learn some theory and practice in a car in our schools parking lot. It wasn't the best way to learn, but it did get me behind the wheel. I really learned how to drive from my mom. She would take me to empty parts of a shopping mall parking lot or have me drive on an almost deserted street near my home. It was free. If money is an issue, the best way to go is to ask someone to help you or teach you how to drive.