How Much Do You Spend On A Desktop/Laptop

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by dreyz • Aug 1, 2012.

1. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    I'm looking to get a new desktop or laptop soon and it would be great to know what's the average price that one would spend. To be more specific, since it's highly dependent on what I want to use the computer for, I want one with a good video card, RAM and hard disk space.

How much did you spend for yours and what specs does it roughly have? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I picked up my All In One Lenovo Desktop as well as a Lenovo Ideapad Laptop both for around $800 each. I try to stay under $1000 these days. I'm not a hardcore gamer or anything, so middle of the road configurations actually work just fine for what I do.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I use my laptop for freelance writing and research, forum posting and general surfing and emails. I don't do gaming, so I'm not looking for optimum speed and graphics, but I do expect a full version of Microsoft Office, rather than a starter or trial version. My current laptop - which is 5 years old but still going strong - cost £800 ($1250). I don't think I'd want to spend that much again, though. I'd probably put a ceiling of £500 ($780) on my next laptop purchase. However, I'm going to keep going with this one while it's okay.

4. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    $800 seems like a fair price for computers with above average specs. I do agree that it is better to set a ceiling price and then see how good of a computer can you get with that amount. Does your desktop include the usual things like the monitor, speakers, mouse and keyboard, or is it just the entire CPU and its components?

Hmm, comparing with above, £800 for a laptop that is now 5 years old and geared towards web browsing, email and writing is quite a high price indeed. Maybe you just struck a bad deal at that time, but hey, if it's still working fine after 5 years, I wouldn't really call it a bad deal after all.

From my speculations, $1250 converted to my local currency can really get me quite a good desktop already, but I highly doubt I would be able to spend that amount.

$800 seems like a fair value for now.

5. JenVarsity

JenVarsityMember

Threads:
    I paid over $1400 for my husbands Dell Inspiron in 2005. It was custom made and still runs like a champ. I paid about $400 for a standard from Best Buy in 2010 and it is missing keys and functions and half speed and I don't have nearly enough ports. I would suggest custom building for your needs.

Perosnally, I am looking at custom building a Dell Duo next. I like the sleek design and the fact that it can go from tablet to computer.

JenVarsity

6. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    I buy the parts to build my desktop, last time i did that was around a year ago, about 1300$(gamer :p). Then i just upgrade when i see fit or change a part if it stops working. I also buy a lot of peripherals from razer, steelseries, logitech, corsair, you name it. Gone through countless mice, mousepads, headphones and keyboards. Good times :)

7. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    I actually will be shopping for a new computer. I would want to buy a desktop. I am not sure why I like them better. I would be looking to spend under €900.00. I would have to have Microsoft office suite included with it and also a printer with it would be nice. I have a printer, so if they offer me one with the purchase it would be nice not necessary. Also speed for me is important. I would want a 1.7 preferably but I would settle for a 1.5. What is the latest processor speed if anyone knows. I have not shopped for a computer in ages. I would imagine the 1.7 speed would be normal.

8. sinuous

sinuousNew Member

Threads:
    For my birthday I purchased an Alienware Aurora. With all the customizations it came to around $1,500. I know many people think Alienware is overpriced, but I really disagree. It's well-built, great for gaming/designing, and is pretty quiet once it boots up fully. If you're looking to buy a decent computer, you are looking at a price of around $800-1500.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love Lenovo laptops especially the ThinkPads. I haven't used any of their desktops. How is the desktop? Is this your first Lenovo desktop? What has been your experience? I'm going to be buying a desktop and was thinking about Lenovo since I love their laptops.

10. inb4

inb4Member

Threads:
    I have a computer geared up with semi-gaming specs. But since I bought the parts raw and separate, I got the computer for a lot cheaper since it was self made. I recommend if you plan on gaming and want to blow a lot on your computer, you should consider buying your own parts and making your own computer.

All the parts came down to around $500-$600 USD, and it's capable of running a lot of high end games on their highest settings. (eg. SC2)

11. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I spent about $1400 for my desktop computer. I want a laptop and it looks like it will be a little more money. This is because I buy Apple computers. I use my computer all the time, and create graphics on it. It's important for me to have a good computer that doesn't take forever loading or having problems. My desktop I didn't get the average size screen either. I bought the middle sized one. I love it so much, it was well worth the price. I can watch movies with the bigger screen and it has a clear picture. My Mac never gets that horrible blue screen my PC used to, I've never had a virus or any problems like I did with my PC. I don't buy half the programs that I hear PC users buy, so I may spend less in the long run? Not sure but I love my Mac and wouldn't trade for any PC.

12. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I spent $500 on the laptop I have now. I work at home online, but I don't really use a lot of games. It does do well with games, I just haven't pushed it to the limits to see what it can do. I don't know what the graphics card is in it. This computer definitely serves what it needs to do and has lasted over 2 years now with continuous use. My last laptop was less then $400 and was great until a virus got it. I didn't like the fact that it had Vista tho, I couldn't stand Vista after using it.

The laptop I have now has Windows 7 and is much better!

13. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I think you should spend a reasonable amount, but not a sum that will cause you to spend a few hundred more in a couple of years. I spent $450 (if my memory serves me correctly) on my laptop and it has served me quite well for the past five years. It's the Dell Inspiron 1525 and ever since then I have urged many to buy Dell because of this great experience.

14. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Toshiba laptop and the computer itself was about $500. It is completely suitable for my needs. I don't use it for gaming purposes, just to do my online ventures on the internet. I really like it. I have bought HP in the past and it constantly overheated. I haven't had any issues with this computer and it was a few hundred cheaper than the HP.

15. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I will not spend a whole lot of money on a computer. I use my computer to write, access e-mail, surf the internet, write blogs, and a few other things. Nothing high fanagled. The latest one I purchased cost about $460. A small computer, buts works well. I do not fly too high on price. I just want it to work.

16. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I spent £580 on a Toshiba laptop, about 3 years ago. It's still running fine but needs the vents clearing from dust because it's started to overheat sometimes and shuts down if I leave it on for more than a few hours. I'm looking for a new one anyway and will probably pay the same amount but for a different model. If I'd known about the overheating problems that the Toshiba laptops suffer from, I wouldn't have bothered buying it in the first place. It was my first laptop computer and never knew about the overheating until I got online and looked at some reviews on it.

17. supergirl

supergirlMember

Threads:
    Hi Dreyz,
    I spent £800 on my laptop. It's a dell studio with an Intel i7 core inside. This is a quad core processor so it's exceptionally fast (the fastest at the time of purchase, 2 years ago) It also has 500gb of harddrive and 4gb ddr ram. I use a lot of heavy programmes so needed to spend a fair amount in order to be able to run so many things at once. It's also a 17" screen that's perfecting for designing on.

18. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    I spent $2100 on my MacBook Pro, it's well worth the money. My Macbook is fast and it will last you forever, and there is no need to worry about viruses. Also, it depends on what you like.

19. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I spent $500 dollars for my desktop Dell Inspiron, I ordered it online. And I have Acer computer that I got for $400 at a Christmas Black
    Friday sale. They both have windows 7, had them both for about 2 years. I wouldn't spent too much, computers wear out after a while anyway.

20. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    We spend between $1200 and $1400 for our desktop and laptop, both Apples. My husband and I both prefer working on a Mac, and we also know that when we get ready to upgrade, and Apple will keep a high resale value. We actually had a Apple laptop die on us, and still got $400 for it off eBay. I doubt that would have happened with a Dell or HP, or anything similar.